Tactics and musings for 8th edition

Daimhin

Wondering how bringing Inquisitor Corteaz (not using any filthy psychic powers) and running him nice and close to immolators for some mean deep strike countering?

I was annoyed that Karamazof lost his ability to orbitally bombard units and allies as that was a favourite ability of mine, but his bubble of allies using his leadership and -1 to enemies is super nice along with his -1 to enemy psyker rolls.

My apologies to our sister puritans for this momentary wondering, but these benefits sound very alluring.

Edited by Atrus

So, I know this isn't really on topic, but when did the B&C add the Xenos forums? I apparently haven't been paying very close attention the last couple days :P

*grabs flamer*

Edited by Servant of Dante

Not that I'm aware of. It's just a 50 model blob squad to screen Celestine (+ whatever else you might want to bubble wrap) that is going to require your opponent to put as much of his anti-horde into as possible to remove because of their 6++ from Celestine plus the fact that he could kill twenty in one turn and you still only lose 1 from morale. It also forces him to shoot them to get to Celestine. Heck, they could probably even take and hold objectives fairly well with this setup.

More than anything,, it's a 180-220 point screen (including the Commisar or Lord Commisar, excluding his wargear). Throw in a platoon commander for 20 points more and now the Conscripts can be given Orders.

Conscripts are really really good at holding objectives, even without Celestine.

But with her and a primaris psyker, they can get a 5++. And a commisar stops then from losing more than one model to morale. And objectives are based on how many models you have within 3"... So if you want to make sure that you are holding those backfield objectives no matter what, nothing beats conscripts.

Any more so than people who used to place her in 20-model Sister Blobs in 7th with Jacobus? The point of the conscripts is to ensure she gets where she's going before getting shot up and 180 points of conscripts + a Commisar is more cost effective, and less likely to run, than Seraphim or Celestians screening her. And don't forget the use of Orders with the unit.

What? You don't like the idea of 20 sisters with a 5++ from Jacobus, marching down field with Celestine and a priest with Litanies of Faith? All with Hatred, Fearless, Counterattack, Hit and Run, Preferred Enemy for shooting/overwatch twice per game, and the ability to re-roll failed armor and invulnerable saves and failed to-wound rolls during melee combat. Replace old Celestine with new and you lose your AoF but you gain the two Geminae and you also gain FNP for the blob.

It's more of a fluff consideration. I just don't usually use special characters, since it doesn't make sense (why would they be around my Sisters?)

And the FoC Celestine was far to warpy, to boot. I did try her a couple times, and she is super hard to kill, but other than that doesn't do much. So yeah she's really good, but gameplay value isn't why I don't play her.

Edited by Servant of Dante

Had a 3k game last weekend against a 16-dread list (including a few FW dreads and that Salamanders character dread). Themed as us invading a refinery world to get more fuel for flamers :P

I brought a little bit of everything to see how well stuff does. He got first turn, but I chose to Vanguard move with all my immos anyway - wanted to test how tough the vehicles are.

Boy, those immos are pretty good at soaking damage. Makes me want to convert up Repressors now.

Seraphim and BSS didnt do much this game apart from holding objectives. The Meltaminions were the all-stars. Getting into melta range was super easy - between the Vanguard move, and being able to shoot after running, it was easy to deliver melta goodness. BS 4+ doesnt hurt that much when you have 5 meltas shooting.

I didnt get any of my Imagifiers' AoFs off sadly. Exorcists are as OK as they've always been.

Penitent Engines are brutal holy holy, just make sure they get the charge. Crushed a Leviathan dread in one round, piled in with the 4+ into another dread and crushed that, too.

My new preferred Canoness loadout is a combi-weapon of some variety. Condemnors aren't bad as well, esp since you'll probably have a few points to spare.

I'm going to take my Sisters down to the local GW tomorrow and try and get a game in with them (my first of 8th Edition!) and am thinking of rocking up with basically my entire army so I can challenge all comers:

Celestine & Friends

Canoness (inferno pistol, eviscerator)
5 celestians (flamer, multi-melta, plasma pistol)
Twin flamer Immolator

10 Repentia (including overseeing Superior)
Rhino

10 Celestians (combi-flamer, flamer, heavy flamer)
Rhino

10 BSS (melta, melta)
Rhino

10 BSS (storm bolters x3)
Rhino

5 Dominions (combi-melta, meltas)
Imagifer
Multi-melta Immolator

5 Seraphim (hand flamers, power sword)

5 Retributors (bolter, 4x heavy bolters)
Heavy bolter Immolator

Exorcist

I shall report back on my findings!

I just had a thought. If we are allowed to use Imagifier on Exorcists, then it would also be possible to use it on a Rhino (loaded with Death Cult Assassins or Repentia Sisters for example) to swing them 12" forward on the beginning of the turn and then unload, run forward and charge, right? That's an incredible threat range of 12" (Imagifier movement) + 3" (disembark) + 7" (movement) and charge range between 2" and 12"!

But I am honestly not in the boat of using Act of Faith on anything without Act of Faith, so I won't test that myself unfortunately.

Sanul - yes. Imagifer gives Act of Faith to any unit with the same <Order> keyword so the Rhino zooms forwards, the Repentia disembark, move, and then charge. Just don't forget that the Priest and Mistress that accompany them need to keep up too!

Lets not start this again. Just rest assured that someone is wrong on the internet and it's probably people trying to use AoF on stuff without the AoF keyword.

Or the people looking for RAI instead of Rules as written.

Edited by Beams

Well when it boils right down to it. if it gets FAQed that AoF does work that way then it's no big deal because the people playing it the other way have just been playing it a little under powered and haven't done anything wrong. If it gets FAQed that it doesn't work that way then people playing it that it does have been cheating their opponents.

I'd rather play it safe and and enjoy a fair game than risk being a rules lawyering 'that guy' trying to exploit loose wording to gain a marginal advantage.

Or, you play it the way that the rule reads, and if it gets FAQ'd one way or the other, you play it that way.

I mean, do you roll your 2+ after you receive from celestine or an Imagifier?

No? So, why should you require the Act Of Faith rule when it never specifies you need it to be handed an AoF from an Imagifier? Especially in a keyword heavy system that refers to other keywords required.

You're not cheating, and you are not "That Guy" for playing it RAW. Also, they did an FAQ and didn't faq it or Celestine, so I wouldn't expect that anytime soon.

Edited by Beams

Playing RAW pre-FAQ isn't cheating g your opponents . . .

It's playing the game the way it's written.

I don't mind people disagreeing, but no one should be putting down those who disagree with them.