8ed multiple units assaulting and overwatch

DerekLee688

I was wondering what are the upsides/downsides to assaulting single or multiple enemy units with 5-6 units vs 1-2 units? Eight honor guard, chappy, and librarian are now 6 charging units coming out of a land raider vs a nine man squad and a single character being two units assaulting. Does normal or Tau overwatch hurt one setup more or less than the other?

Well the main downside is that everything rolls their charge range separately...  so  it's entirely possible that 6 out of 8 of your honour guard and your librarian make it into combat, but your chaplain and the other 2 honour guard fail their rolls!   Would be very frustrating.  

Also, the first charging unit (presumably 2 honour guard) takes all the overwatch, so if they survive and make it in, the rest of them have no overwatch to deal with.

I guess if the first 2 are wiped out, the next 2 to charge in get full overwatch all over again.

I don't think this is a very good way to run these units any more. I have a squad of honour guard with a chaplain and I am not sure they are going to be so useful in 8th.  

i think the low number count for the honor guard leads me to believe they have become sort of the bodyguard or cheaper unit to use to hid you character behind without using a 5 man combat squad.

I agree with Silentz about how that setup is not really rood way to run the units.

I feared that the two man units would be the end of honor guard squads. I will still find a way to use a couple of HG units in an army because I think they are a steal for 40ish points for a 2+, 2W, and a relic blade. I believe they have a rule to take wounds from your characters within 6", or something like that.

I guess the bright side is that it won't be as expensive to run both a unit of custodes and a unit of HG in a single army.

Archived