• 6 months later...

Hello all - it’s great to be back! I am sorry for not having updated this log for so long!

My Spears-army isn’t dead at all! I have been playing it a lot, and especially the parts of it, that constitutes my Kill Team, has been purging (well, loosing) left and right!

I haven’t added a lot to the army, though. Firstly, ADB’s latest comments and the (immensely cool) cover of the book, has me worried that I will have to redo quite a lot of the army, when the book finally arrives. I really want to keep the army “correct”, lore wise - and now I am almost thinking, that I should use Space Wolves marines as a starting point when building spears. Plus all the runes and so on.

All in all, I just prefer to wait on the damned book before continuing. I mostly have what I need painted for now anyway - especially in these Kill Team times.

Secondly, reallife has been annoyingly disturbing in the form of new house, new baby and my career as a musician, that takes up a lot of time.

But, I am saving up for the limited edition and a million marines for when Spear of the Emperor is released. First order of the day when I have read the book is to create a totally converted Kill team build around whichever marine in the book is named after me (if that really is happening (I still don’t believe it!)). I am certain that said marine will be of the “Oh, and brother Balslev was there as well, but he got shot really, really quickly.”-type, but he will still get to lead his own Kill Team!

By the way, I intensely love the fact, that there’s datacards, rules and (most of all) decals in the limited edition pack. I am so extremely hyped for that! I tried to order custom made decals for my spears, but it didn’t really work as I wanted (and not at all as well as with normal GW-decals), and it cost me a lot, so having official ones turns me on to a disturbing degree. And please, ADB: tell me, that I will be able to buy more Spear-decals, and that the single sheet in the LE-case won’t have to cover a whole army. I cannot really afford to buy several LE’s!

The only thing, that really worries me, is, that I won’t be quick enough to get a limited edition of the book. I don’t know what I will do, if I don’t get my clammy hands on the extra goodies, and most of all, if I will have to wait half a year to read the novel itself...

Edited by Rathamanti

Hello all - it’s great to be back! I am sorry for not having updated this log for so long!

My Spears-army isn’t dead at all! I have been playing it a lot, and especially the parts of it, that constitutes my Kill Team, has been purging (well, loosing) left and right!

I haven’t added a lot to the army, though. Firstly, ADB’s latest comments and the (immensely cool) cover of the book, has me worried that I will have to redo quite a lot of the army, when the book finally arrives. I really want to keep the army “correct”, lore wise - and now I am almost thinking, that I should use Space Wolves marines as a starting point when building spears. Plus all the runes and so on.

All in all, I just prefer to wait on the damned book before continuing. I mostly have what I need painted for now anyway - especially in these Kill Team times.

Secondly, reallife has been annoyingly disturbing in the form of new house, new baby and my career as a musician, that takes up a lot of time.

But, I am saving up for the limited edition and a million marines for when Spear of the Emperor is released. First order of the day when I have read the book is to create a totally converted Kill team build around whichever marine in the book is named after me (if that really is happening (I still don’t believe it!)). I am certain that said marine will be of the “Oh, and brother Balslev was there as well, but he got shot really, really quickly.”-type, but he will still get to lead his own Kill Team!

By the way, I intensely love the fact, that there’s datacards, rules and (most of all) decals in the limited edition pack. I am so extremely hyped for that! I tried to order custom made decals for my spears, but it didn’t really work as I wanted (and not at all as well as with normal GW-decals), and it cost me a lot, so having official ones turns me on to a disturbing degree. And please, ADB: tell me, that I will be able to buy more Spear-decals, and that the single sheet in the LE-case won’t have to cover a whole army. I cannot really afford to buy several LE’s!

The only thing, that really worries me, is, that I won’t be quick enough to get a limited edition of the book. I don’t know what I will do, if I don’t get my clammy hands on the extra goodies, and most of all, if I will have to wait half a year to read the novel itself...

If you're really wanting the Limited Edition, what I did with The Lords of Silence: Get the Limited Edition as soon as its available for Pre-Order. Do you have a Local Games Workshop or Warhammer Store? You can pre-order it there.

If you're really wanting the Limited Edition, what I did with The Lords of Silence: Get the Limited Edition as soon as its available for Pre-Order. Do you have a Local Games Workshop or Warhammer Store? You can pre-order it there.

Good idea!

I didnt know that about the LE - datacards & decals!? Dear heavens when will the wait be over.

Novel LE don't come with stuff for the game lol. The Novel LE just look super fancy.

ADB on Facebook: “The Limited Edition is available at the Black Library Weekender in a couple of months. That's all I know for sure!”

I spend a worryingly large amount of time thinking about this book (and whether we will get actual chapter tactics or other kinds of rules for 40k).

I've to say, while ADB is my favorite Black Library writer I wouldn't have been interested in this book at all without this thread and the awesome work you did. Now it's just one more book on my list I have to buy eventually. :P

Spreading the word of The Spear is my new mission in life. I have bored my friends, playgroup and local stores to near-death with talk of this release and chapter... sorry!

Edited by Rathamanti

• 2 months later...

I finally found the time to read Spear of the Emperor, and I devoured it in three days. I loved it! It was so ...cleanly written - lean and mean. I really enjoy ADB’s version of 40k; epic and fantastically dark, but always completely believable. Ruthless but never crass nor tasteless. Experiencing the Spears through Anuradha’s eyes was absolutely thrilling! And it seems like I got all I wanted regarding the nature and culture of the spears. It almost drowns out my disappointment in the fact that A D-B didn’t find me worthy of a Nemetese namesake after all. Almost.

Now to figure out what to paint next. Work is hell during the winter months, but I really need to up my painting tempo! Those druids really opens up for some converting ideas!

But what really inspired me was the Hex! That ship really has its own personality, and I love Serivahn sitting there in his captain’s throne. He doesn’t need to be fixed! After reading the book I can’t stop thinking about a relaunch of Battlefleet Gothic. I really want to paint an armada of Spear ships with the Hex right in the middle.

Edited by Rathamanti

• 6 months later...