My Order of the Purest Flame (also an introduction)

Hello everyone, this is my first post here but I've been reading the forum for a few months now. I've been hugely inspired and helped by all your armies, tips, and tactics, now hopefully I can contribute a bit too.

I got my first sisters models (2 squads, back when that meant 6 sisters without a heavy weapon) on the day of their release 20 years ago, but I only started collecting a complete army two years ago. Originally they were just going to be a contingent of a planned Explorator Force I wanted to do composed of each of the branches of the Imperium's militaries, but then sisters just took over and I've come to slightly regret choosing white as the armour colour. 

I've decided to make up my own Order, but the colours are obviously based on some of the models from the 3rd Edition Witchhunters Codex, which I guess were based on the original Order of the Sacred Rose. I haven't really focused on background/fluff that much to date - beyond naming my Canoness, Sister Aysha Kandisha Al-Sha'il - and deciding that they are based on a desert shrine world... somewhere. I'm not as up on my background as the scholars on this board so I need to get on some research. 

Anyway, the army to date is pictured below and as follows:

Canoness Aysha (with Power Sword and Combi-melta)

Command Squad

St. Celestine and friends

3 BSS squads

3 Dominion squads (1 with Meltas, 1 with Flamers, and 1 with Storm Bolters)

1 Seraphim squad 

1 Retributor squad (Heavy Bolters)

2 Immolators (1 with Flamers, 1 with Meltas)

1 Exorcist

2 Penitent Engines

2 Priests

I've also got the Veridian model there, but I've never used her in a game. With the new FOCs I'm thinking she might be the overall head of the Order and Aysha be the field commander to fill out some HQ squads if I want to do multiple detachments. I remember seeing ranks of Canonesses somewhere, will have to root it out. 

I've also got Inquisitor Greyfax, Uriah Jacobus, and Arch-confessor Kyrinov (also all never used), again they might now see use to fill out some HQ slots. 

I'm currently painting a second Exorcist, and have a 3rd Immolator, a 2nd Seraphim squad, 2nd Melta Dominion Squad, and a 4th BSS squad waiting to be painted too. I'm working through them.

Here is the army all arranged and below Canoness Aysha and friends. I'll try and get some decent photos of the other squads/models if anyone's interested.

[img]35011202721_21ca0d50b1_c.jpg[/img]

35102804326_8a4b06ec13_c.jpg[/img]

Thanks for looking everyone, I look forward to getting to know you all a bit better and also reporting on some 8th Edition games in a few weeks.

I hope I got the photo formatting etc. right...

Alex

Hello everyone, this is my first post here but I've been reading the forum for a few months now. I've been hugely inspired and helped by all your armies, tips, and tactics, now hopefully I can contribute a bit too.

I got my first sisters models (2 squads, back when that meant 6 sisters without a heavy weapon) on the day of their release 20 years ago, but I only started collecting a complete army two years ago. Originally they were just going to be a contingent of a planned Explorator Force I wanted to do composed of each of the branches of the Imperium's militaries, but then sisters just took over and I've come to slightly regret choosing white as the armour colour.

I've decided to make up my own Order, but the colours are obviously based on some of the models from the 3rd Edition Witchhunters Codex, which I guess were based on the original Order of the Sacred Rose. I haven't really focused on background/fluff that much to date - beyond naming my Canoness, Sister Aysha Kandisha Al-Sha'il - and deciding that they are based on a desert shrine world... somewhere. I'm not as up on my background as the scholars on this board so I need to get on some research.

Anyway, the army to date is pictured below and as follows:

Canoness Aysha (with Power Sword and Combi-melta)

Command Squad

St. Celestine and friends

3 BSS squads

3 Dominion squads (1 with Meltas, 1 with Flamers, and 1 with Storm Bolters)

1 Seraphim squad

1 Retributor squad (Heavy Bolters)

2 Immolators (1 with Flamers, 1 with Meltas)

1 Exorcist

2 Penitent Engines

2 Priests

I've also got the Veridian model there, but I've never used her in a game. With the new FOCs I'm thinking she might be the overall head of the Order and Aysha be the field commander to fill out some HQ squads if I want to do multiple detachments. I remember seeing ranks of Canonesses somewhere, will have to root it out.

I've also got Inquisitor Greyfax, Uriah Jacobus, and Arch-confessor Kyrinov (also all never used), again they might now see use to fill out some HQ slots.

I'm currently painting a second Exorcist, and have a 3rd Immolator, a 2nd Seraphim squad, 2nd Melta Dominion Squad, and a 4th BSS squad waiting to be painted too. I'm working through them.

Here is the army all arranged and below Canoness Aysha and friends. I'll try and get some decent photos of the other squads/models if anyone's interested.

[img]35011202721_21ca0d50b1_c.jpg[/img]

35102804326_8a4b06ec13_c.jpg[/img]

Thanks for looking everyone, I look forward to getting to know you all a bit better and also reporting on some 8th Edition games in a few weeks.

I hope I got the photo formatting etc. right...

Alex

How did you get this white? It's so well done!

Yeah, that white looks freaking fantastic :D and the red robes look really sharp too.

As for fluff, if you don't have a copy of the 2E Sisters codex and have never read it, I'll PM you. Same goes for the Whitch Hunters codex and the Liber Sororitas. Those are my three favorite sources (though really the reason I like C:WH is that box that Raven posted above, the rest I can take or leave). I'd be happy to talk fluff, since I can hardly help on the painting side of things :D (but I do love my Sisters fluff).

Oh, and welcome to the B&C! Here's your flamer and 3 barrels of the Emperor's Holy Promethium :P feel free to ask any questions you might have. If one of us can't help, don't be afraid to message a moderator (Aquilanus is our local Sisters mod, but for general questions I've yet to meet one that isn't willing to help or at least point you to someone who can).

If one of us can't help, don't be afraid to message a moderator (Aquilanus is our local Sisters mod, but for general questions I've yet to meet one that isn't willing to help or at least point you to someone who can).

I guess I'll take this as a queue to officially welcome Alex to the B&C on behalf of his friendly, neighbourhood, mod team.

I, too, am curious as to if you had any special tricks, tools, or techniques to that crisp, flat, white or if it's just the many tedious thin layers it appears to be.

Thank you everyone for the welcome and kind words! Like I said, I've been drawing inspiration and motivation from all your armies and models, so it's great to finally be a part of this board,

Regarding the white, yes sadly it is mostly lots of tedious thin coats. So, my first tip for painting your armour white is "don't paint your armour white." But if you are determined, my method is as follows: Undercoat Corax White spray -> Layer of watered down Ceramite White -> 2 - 3 layers of watered down White Scar (I currently aim for a point just before it starts to run into the detail) -> Shade with Fenrisian Grey -> Sharper shade with The Fang (both of these watered down to be washes) -> Neaten up and fix mistakes with Ceramite White.

Thanks to @Knight of the Raven and @Servant of Dante for those lore tips. I do actually have both the 2nd Edition and the WitchHunter Codices, but forgot about that bit in the Witchhunters codex (I never actually liked that book so much). I guess then my not-Veridian would be a Canoness Superior and then Canoness Aysha would be a Canoness Commander or even a Palatine?

Fantastic looking army. White is a paint in the rear but on the table they are simple stunning and stand out in such a marvelous way. Kudos on painting all of them ;)

Is there an 'Armies on Parade' section on the forum? Haven't been able to find one yet.

It's awesome seeing your fully painted armies - spurs me on to tackle the mountain of resin and metal and plastic that cries out to me at home!

Is there an 'Armies on Parade' section on the forum? Haven't been able to find one yet.

In the fullness of the B&C you might stroll the Hall of Honour.

Four years ago, my word how the times flown by, we had a PC&L thread around here. Perhaps it's time you started another one? Perhaps stoke it alive like the art of sisters thread by feeding it in the ambient with imagery of sisters models you've combed from the web?

In the fullness of the B&C you might stroll the Hall of Honour.

Four years ago, my word how the times flown by, we had a PC&L thread around here. Perhaps it's time you started another one? Perhaps stoke it alive like the art of sisters thread by feeding it in the ambient with imagery of sisters models you've combed from the web?

Cheers, Lockey. I'll check these out.

I'd rather people post their own projects up rather than pictures from other sources, much more rewarding that way. I personally love seeing what other people have been working on and perhaps we can share how we did it so we can all improve. It might get less posts (and therefore I'm not sure how one keeps it alive? I'm new to all this forum stuff) but would motivate slow / lazy painters like myself to get going! I thrive on the inspiration and encouragement

Any plans for some Sisters of Silence Alex? I would love to see them in your white :smile.:

Not really, I like the models but I'm not sure enough to get any. If I did, I'd probably stick with the traditional gold for their armour. Painting white is super boring and - honestly - the photos I've posted are very flattering to the white; it looks much rougher IRL. Thank you for the kind words though! Will you get some do you think?

I finished my 2nd Exorcist this evening. One day I'd like to have 3 for symmetry, but honestly I'm not sure I can face painting another one in the near future! I;m quite pleased with this one, but although I learnt quite a lot from painting my first one I still feel I can do better, particularly as regards the shading. I'm not very good at keeping the paint thin enough so it's a bit thick and wobbly in some places. Also I think I did a better job of the marble effect on the extra armour on my first one (beginner's luck maybe).

I also made a little objective marker. It's two green stuff moulds of the little icons that come in the Immolator kit, with some green stuff and plastic rod additions to make flowers and candles. 

[img]34506359954_0ff5b30287_m.jpg[/img]

I've got 5 more Seraphim I've just started today (so I can have a squad of 10), then another dominion squad, then another Battle SIster Squad, then I'm basically done on infantry. Unless they finally do plastic sisters... 

First game(s) of 8th tomorrow!

Edited by AlexAbroad

She's beautiful! White is super striking and really lovely metallics. Three Exorcists is a thing of beauty! Have you seen Dante's? They look amazing. Once I've got my army painted to 750, im planning on adding an Exorcist.

The objective marker is really cool, great idea. Yes I can see you being burnt out after all that white. Which white are you using? I do find the Army painter white, much better for watering down than the GW one.

Yay for your first game of 8th. I've played 3 now, its really fun and fast. Hope you toast some heretics :)

She's beautiful! White is super striking and really lovely metallics. Three Exorcists is a thing of beauty! Have you seen Dante's? They look amazing. Once I've got my army painted to 750, im planning on adding an Exorcist.

The objective marker is really cool, great idea. Yes I can see you being burnt out after all that white. Which white are you using? I do find the Army painter white, much better for watering down than the GW one.

Yay for your first game of 8th. I've played 3 now, its really fun and fast. Hope you toast some heretics :smile.:

and none of them have a single drop of paint on them :D never thought I'd get complemented for models that are unpainted :P

Your exorcist on the other hand, Alex, looks beautiful!