How to organise your battle forged army

SnakeChisler

OK watched a load of Warhammer TV while I was painting last night and various things came up the most interesting was the battleforged in relation to how its organised.

My initial thoughts were we'd have to organise into faction detachments this doesn't appear to be the case all you need is a common keyword <Imperial>

So HQ, troops, elites, Heavy, Flyers of Any <Imperial> plug into your detachment

Need some troops take SM Scouts Guard or Sisters of Battle, need some Elites Take Sisters of Silence, need some heavy support take some SM or Guard tanks etc.. etc..

Given the leaked stuff is this correct?

Cross buffing is out the window but it looks a really good way of getting a themed army some scouts in speeders doing forward recon an inquisitor lead deathwatch force jetting in on Corvus Blackstars backed up with some guard and a couple of tanks.

They also said the new Primaris Marines are coming out in kit form so modelling them with Deathwatch shoulder pads is an option all your loosing is chapter buffs.

OK watched a load of Warhammer TV while I was painting last night and various things came up the most interesting was the battleforged in relation to how its organised.

My initial thoughts were we'd have to organise into faction detachments this doesn't appear to be the case all you need is a common keyword <Imperial>

So HQ, troops, elites, Heavy, Flyers of Any <Imperial> plug into your detachment

Need some troops take SM Scouts Guard or Sisters of Battle, need some Elites Take Sisters of Silence, need some heavy support take some SM or Guard tanks etc.. etc..

Given the leaked stuff is this correct?

Cross buffing is out the window but it looks a really good way of getting a themed army some scouts in speeders doing forward recon an inquisitor lead deathwatch force jetting in on Corvus Blackstars backed up with some guard and a couple of tanks.

They also said the new Primaris Marines are coming out in kit form so modelling them with Deathwatch shoulder pads is an option all your loosing is chapter buffs.

Yep, this is already the primary way I think Deathwatch will be played, filling out our weaknesses with other imperial units within one detachment.

Kinda.

For now, you don't have reasons to not take an "Imperium" Army.

But later, when codex will be release, by playing "Dark Angel" or "Inquisition", etc ... you will gain access to new and exclusive stratagems, relics, ...

Remember that index are only a way to play every miniatures that GW is currently selling. Be cause the game system change so much, they had to update all factions at once. Could you imagine a Necron player unable to play 8ed for a year when other factions can ? ^^

I think Nox is right, and yes Snake you pretty much have it.

Right now with my Thousand Sons (because they have a valid example) if I take a Thousand Sons Keyword Detachment, that faction keyword nets me Rubrics as troops.

For Deathwatch I haven't seen anything that really makes sense to do that, but I keep reminding some friends they basically rewrote every codex in the game for this release, but they keep mentioning Codexes. There's no doubt they had to leave something off the table to give people some reasons to buy codexes.

So for right now it's very easy to include the likes of Celestine, or Centurions, or Guilliman or even Primaris.

The question becomes when we fast forward a few months is it going to be worth taking Deathwatch in a "Dark Angels" or "Ultramarines" or "White Scars" army or are those armies just better off with their own options fulfilling the elite choices.

For now we can enjoy playing the Inquisitorial type stuff, Celestine, Custodes, etc.

I've tried to wait until the actually book came out but I checked out the leaks. The thing is, each space marine chapter has their special rules. Our DW dudes have special issue ammunition. The problem is, if you take an imperium army detachment, which seems legit, you lose out on the chapter specific rules. Army flexibility for the price of extra rules.

There are auxiliary detachments that can be taken with your standard Patrol/Battalion/Brigade detachments:

- Supreme Command (HQ heavy) = 3-5 HQ, 0-1 Elite, 0-1 Lord of war

- Super-Heavy Detachment (only restriction is must be from the same faction!) = 3-5 Lords of War

- Air Wing Detachment = 3-5 Flyers

- Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment = 1 Lord of War

- Fortification Network = 1-3 Fortifications

- Auxiliary Support = 1 unit of either HQ, Troop, Elite, Fast Attack, Heavy Support, Flyer or Dedicated Transport (-1 to total command points for each auxiliary support)

There are a few more that grant more elite, heavy support or fast attack choices (as well as requiring only an HQ choice and no troops) but the ones above are more relevant to the "imperium army" vs Deathwatch army talk. The only limitation would, of course, be points or power rating.

From the limited, launch-only perspective playing "Imperium", "Chaos" et al Faction Keywords makes sense in terms of flexibility, at least for the moment.  I feel that the best solution is to build each Detachment within a single, more specific Faction Keyword for the purpose of maximizing faction-based buffs, such as the Watch Master's aura.

Though I'll still be playing "pure" armies in Matched Play because I'm a grognard.  :P

Archived