Primaris Red Scorpions - Captain complete

This blog intends to recreate the spirit of the original White Dwarf series in which a series of hobbyists attempted to create an engaging and characterful army... on a budget.

With the arrival of 8th edition and the exciting news in terms of lore, new products and the quality of the Primaris Space Marines, I've decided to take the plunge into this fantastic looking miniatures and go back full strength into 40k creating a chapter that has always called my attention: the Red Scorpions.

So with all that in mind, here are my core objectives:

• Collect, build and paint a 2,000 points force of Red Scorpions composed of Primaris Marines, either to use them as Primaris or as proxies for True Scale Marines.
  • Do so on a budget to showcase how accessible our hobby can be when you plan a bit and stick to that plan.
  • At the same time, I will attempt to maintain the character of my army trying to give it as much character as possible with conversions, upgrade sets, bits, etc.
In this initial post I will regularly update the status of the army as well as how all complete units are converging into a playable army list.

Background wise, they are the scions of the Children of Europa led by Lord Commander Cadmus, who received the moniker of the Red Scorpion of Mars for his guerrilla warfare tactics on the traitor occupied planet during the siege of Terra while he attempted to disrupt the supply lines of the Warmaster. You can find all about it in my signature: The Children of Europa.

Planned Units:

• Intercessor Squad
  • Aggressor Squad
  • Repulsor Tank
  • Carab Culln the Risen
Unassembled Units:
  • Primaris Space Marine Librarian
  • Intercessor Squad
  • Inceptor Squad
Built Units:
  • Primaris Space Marine Liutenant
  • Primaris Space Marine Liutenant
  • Primaris Space Marine Ancient
  • Intercessor Squad
  • Hellblaster Squad
  • Primaris Space Marine Captain
Painted Units:
  • Primaris Space Marine Captain in Gravis armor
Total Cost to Date: £148.25
  • Dark Imperium: Primaris Space Marines - £40
  • FW Commander Culln - £19
  • FW Red Scorpions transfer sheet - £16
  • Bit-sellers for conversions - £50
  • Primaris Librarian - £18
  • Primaris Space Marine Captain - £22.5
Paint Scheme:
  • Prime Chaos Black
  • Base Corax Black
  • Counter zenital shadow of Corax black and Abaddon black 1:1
  • Zenital highlight of Eschin grey
  • Spot highlight with Mechanicus standard grey
  • Edge highlight with Dawnstone
  • Super edge highlight with Administratum grey
  • Chip with airbrush consistency Rhinox hide
  • Repeat edge highlight in lower parts of the chipping for trompe l'oeil effect
Army Structure:
  • Captain in Gravis armor in a Repulsor with a 3 man Aggressor team (flamers), Sevrin Loth and a Liutenant
  • Carab Culln the Risen leading the offense besides the Repulsor
  • Primaris Captain leading mid field zone control with a 5 man Hellblaster Squad (assault incinerators), a Liutenant and the Ancestor
  • 3x 5 man Intercessor Squad completing out mid field (Sergeants with power swords, 1 unit with auto bolt rifles)
  • Inceptor Squad for high speed support to mid field or offense teams

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been through the new rule book and index and there is no mention of these guys or rules for their special characters. Do you know if Forge world has put out anything Scorpion related?

I am also collecting Red Scorpions. Not sure how to fit the new Primaris in fluff-wise, as I am pretty sure we would reject reinforcements on the grounds that you cannot improve on perfection.

I look forward to seeing your army.

I've just been through the new rule book and index and there is no mention of these guys or rules for their special characters. Do you know if Forge world has put out anything Scorpion related?

I am also collecting Red Scorpions. Not sure how to fit the new Primaris in fluff-wise, as I am pretty sure we would reject reinforcements on the grounds that you cannot improve on perfection.

I look forward to seeing your army.

The next Red Scorpions content is expected to be in Imperial Armour: Fires of Cyraxus. We'll be getting Carab Culln as a Leviathan Dreadnought then.

No word on when it's due out, though.

I just received all today so I'll be posting my chapter captain tonight hopefully! And Eidolon, how do we always end in opposite sides of the coin?!

Also, I won't be budgeting the paints or equipment but I've tested this airbrush and it works fab and can do the job for £15:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KKmoon-Gravity-Dual-action-Airbrush-Painting/dp/B01LAVJ36O

And you can find compressors easily for £60 so getting an airbrush setup is an extra £75 for those following at home.

So my chapter master conversion is done. I wont be doing many more conversions but I always believed giving flavor to your field Commanders is important so I did that with this guy even when trying to do the army on a budget.

E4LDJhE.jpg

A couple of homages to the Emperor's as well as Carab Culln are there. Since my force happens after Culln has been interred, the master of the second company, having proposed his company to be entered in the primaris project was awarded the pauldrons of Culln terminator armor.

How do you think the head fits in with the model? Is it too small?

I really don't like that head at all personally. The whole half shaved head thing seems silly to me, but again, thats just me. Very much Emperor's Children vibe from that head. I'd go for something a little more masculine and strong if that makes sense

Very much Emperor's Children vibe from that head.

Wouldn't that be the point, though?

I really like it, btw; the belt/tabard/whatever improves the original significantly, imo, and that chest plate fits seamlessly. Great work. The head is a tad small, unfortunately. Not sure I like it or not, although it's a nice nod at the speculated III Legion origins of the scorpions...

Wow that is a fantastic looking conversion, a really worthy commander for your force. I think giving him a longer tabard would look better altogether but the current one is cool too. Either way definitely looking forward to seeing more!

Thank you so much guys!

I'll greenstuff to finish any seams later today and get the airbrush working asap!

Very much Emperor's Children vibe from that head.

Wouldn't that be the point, though?

I really like it, btw; the belt/tabard/whatever improves the original significantly, imo, and that chest plate fits seamlessly. Great work. The head is a tad small, unfortunately. Not sure I like it or not, although it's a nice nod at the speculated III Legion origins of the scorpions...

Indeed that's the point :smile.: I wanted a head that screamed young, up and coming, prideful tactical genius, and that contrasted in it's delicacy the brutality of the armor. I never thought I'd see the day a marine head might be on the small side compared to a marine body but hey, it's the times we live in and I'll at least paint it as is to see how it looks since I'm liking it and it does fit with the proportions of the artwork of Culln:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tCQH9GegMWA/TQkKBdqT_mI/AAAAAAAADQ8/EjcOxTAGPI8/s1600/cover.jpg

Updated costs, army log and in process of moving images to imgur. Already have built all my conversions: Captain, Liutenants, Ancient and primed the captain so all ready for my first miniature.

Mind if I ask you guys a question though? Are you fans of the darker or lighter versions of the Red Scorpions grey?

Archived