Raven Guard Codex and/or chapter tactics in 8th Edition?

NattyMac

Brothers (and Sisters?), a couple quick questions. I've been reading through all the releases on Warhammer Community, etc., but I haven't been able to keep up with the discussion here on B&C. I don't see anything in the 8th Edition Discussion board that addresses this, although the Black Templars have been speculating a little:

1. Are we expecting chapter Codices to be released at some point, in addition to the Index books that have already been announced/leaked? (Spikey Bits says "no?" BellofLostSouls thinks "yes," in the model of AoS's Battletome)

2. Do we expect chapter tactics to be announced at some point? Maybe tied to the chapter keywords?

I looked through the leaked rules, and it looks like there isn't much to distinguish chapters from each other at this point, although the leaks are only portions of each book...

Other than including a a high proportion of scouts and jump units in our armies, what is going to make Raven Guard "Raven Guard" in the 8th Edition? Or any other Codex chapter, for that matter.

Can anyone direct me to productive discussion of these topics?

Edited by NattyMac

Related to the Raven Guard, this is the forum to discuss ^_^

Having a need to keep up with the chat in the 8th discussion forum (Mod work):

1) It is only speculated Codecies will be released shortly. Although AoS has been mentioned as a comparison. I perceive 3rd Edition 40k is more apt. Then, the core book had army lists for all armies, and Codecies were released over time with special units and rules. This is what is speculated to happen. The current Indecies are expected to be replaced by Codecies.

2) Chapter Tactics as we have known then are also guessed to return within the Codecies.

So, until more detail is provided, the current Indecies are what the Raven Guard and Imperial Fists (for example) have to make an army. Both will function the same on the table, the difference will be the choices the player makes.

For my part, the 3rd Edition Index Astartes for the RG declared the Chapter tends to use Jump Pack units, scouts, land speeders and drop pods more often than other units. To me, that will define my gaming doctrine for the most part. Will I use a Land Raider? You bet ... But not every game.

For other Chapters, for noe, it is simply player-choice that dictates what their Chapter will use.

Agreed with Race for the codex release ! The index separating 'Raven Guard Units' and 'Raven Guard Wargear' would tend to go in this direction.

However,  I don't think we're going to get chapter tactics as we've known them. It's probably going to be Captain special rules conferring to the rest of the nearby units.

The very good bit now though is that we have the force org charts available to make fluffy yet effective forces, so yeah !

(To be honest, I'm only interested in chapter tactics and relics in relation to Raven Guard). 

the Chapter tends to use Jump Pack units, scouts, land speeders and drop pods more often than other units. 

This is pretty much my thought as well. I'm hoping that the other relics and some of the formation benefits (since formations are gone now) resurface, though. I'm still building Murderwings and Solaq, just in case.

Iirc race is correct on most points from the info I read in rumors and about the IA raven guard fluff

Yup the indicies are just to tide us over until codex drop.

I believe this has been confirmed by the various GW vids, teasers and FAQs. So much info its hard to keep up!

Timing wise I'm not sure, although listening to the FLG 8th ed FAQ today sounded like the codexes would be coming sooner rather than later.

Im curious to see what our chapter tactics will be given the changes to USRs and cover saves.

I got a peak at the Chaplain dataslate today at my FLGS. No longer Fearless, instead Ld9, and there is a bubble (6" I think) of friendly units using that Of instead of their own. However, they grant rerolls to hit throughout the fight, not just in the first turn.

So I agree with y'all (a conjunction of "you" and "all" commonly used in the Southeast region of the United States for our fellow hobbyists elsewhere in the world, @Race knows what I mean) in that our Chapter Tactics will be Shrike's buff, and likely some chapter-specific strategems that we will have to spend command points on.

Heya Ravens,

I'm also not completely sure about the Situation for you guys and girls and rather put that in two question / assumptions …

1. Do I see this correctly, that there are currently no special Rules or Units for the Raven Guard, except maybe for Shrike?
  2. Hasn't it been mentioned by GW during the daily 8th Edition Warhammer Community Posts, that an updated Version of the Indices should be published every year, just like the Generals Handbook for AoS? Or was that just wishfull thinking?

Thanks! Keep flying!

Edited by Filius

Heyo!

1. You are correct.  But the Indecies are a stop-gap until Codecies come out later.

2. Moot because of point 1 above.

:happy.:

Found that Part about the annual Updates

Will the rules be updated annually (ala, the General’s Handbook)?

What a great idea! We’ve had such a fantastic response to our community-led approach with the Warhammer Age of Sigmar rules updates that we’re committed to doing the same for Warhammer 40,000. You’ll be able to submit your questions and queries on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page and we’ll make sure we continue to evolve the game as feedback rolls in.

Correct me, if I'm wrong … but … why should I buy a Codex, if I can buy a complete annual Rules Update? Or to put it in another way: Do we know more what this annual Update will contain?

Maybe I'm off - are they talking about rules or army lists?

Found it … man is that difficult to find stuff on the Community Site …

… I guess in the Quote from the FAQ they meant the later announced "Chapter Approved" thing, that shall be published every year …

We’ve said right from the start that the new edition of Warhammer 40,000 is one that we’d work to make even better over time. This is one of the ways that will happen. Each year, you’ll have a new Chapter Approved, expanding your gaming options and making what we think is already the best Warhammer 40,000 ever, even better.

But wether it contains only Rules Updates or als Updates to Army Lists is still unclear, sadly … I would hope for both as this would be the best thing … just buy one book each year and get all the Updates. Buy a Codex, if you want the Fluff too …

Anyhow … more or less back to the Topic … how fine are you Raven Guard Guys with having only a Special Character (which is more than the Iron Hands have)?

Do you feel that there's enough room within the Vanilla Codex, to play the Raven Guard fluffy / fun enough?

My understanding is that the indices are just temporary until the codex come out.

You will want to buy a codex as this is where all the flavour should return to our lists (eg Chapter Tactics)
There will be a yearly addendum of some sort that will contain the regular point updates, as well as the chapter approved supplements.

Think the indices as the 3rd edition rule book, where all the army entries were given so you could start playing while you waited for the individual codexes to be released.

That's been my understanding of it as well.

Currently, I'm okay with the Raven Guard not having "Chapter Tactics".  As much as I appreciated them (even wanted them since 3.5 edition), I think I've not been satidfied with GW's vision of what that may be.  I'm not smart enough to know what it really *should* be, without making it broke ;)

Having said that, I first believe the Raven Guard are -first- a Codex Chapter with every tool available to them, yet with preferences on how the tools are used.  So, it's up to the player to decide which units to use to play "Raven Guard".

Okay! Thanks a lot for the Insights.

I hope the comming Codices treat you guys and girls well, you really deserve it!

Okay! Thanks a lot for the Insights.

I hope the comming Codices treat you guys and girls well, you really deserve it!

Join uuussss and be awesome :happy.:

I do consider it … that why I hang around here. But I wait with the decision until I spent some time with the new Rulebook and the Index. And … if the Raven Guard only had at least one non achromatic colour in their heraldry … :happy.: … I grew up with the "Taste-the-Rainbow-2nd-Edition" Space Marines and it's hard to get that out of my head … :blush.:

:biggrin.:

You guys may not have the most colours, but you certainly have the most humor!

Which again is pretty funny in itself, if you consider that we're in the Sub-Forum of the Sons of Corvus "lock myself away in my chamber for a year" Corax here … :whistling::happy.:

Okay … you got me interested. Which leads me to ask more questions … :happy.:

First: You are fully Codex Compliant, right? This means, your companies should follow the colour scheme that the Codex Astartes has defined for Companies. So as a Painter / Army Builder you could use Yellow, Red, Green, Orange, Purpel, Grey and Blue (if you or I really want this, and if it leads to a raven-guardy looking army is another topic …) but at least you have the option, right?  And now that I think about it, I have seen red should trims on some Raven Guards here and there

Second: One thing that frequently make me, feel like I'm in the wrong place, when I am visiting sub-forums of Chapters, that have their own Codex like … let's say the Space Wolves … is the whining about this nerfed Unit or that unforgivable Msitake that GW ahs done with the Fluff. My general Impression is, that the Players and Enthusiast of Underdog Chapters tend to be more optimistic and all in all more happy with their Chapter and with anyone giving some love (in form of an Army or Ideas) to their Chapter …

I would go so far as to ask you wether you agree to this, buuut … I am curious: How do you see that yourself?

Thanks in Advance!

:biggrin.:

You guys may not have the most colours, but you certainly have the most humor!

Which again is pretty funny in itself, if you consider that we're in the Sub-Forum of the Sons of Corvus "lock myself away in my chamber for a year" Corax here … :whistling::happy.:

You forgot the rest of the quote...

"lock myself away in my chamber for a year......to work on my 'stand up' material!":facepalm:

Okay … you got me interested. Which leads me to ask more questions … :happy.:

First: You are fully Codex Compliant, right? This means, your companies should follow the colour scheme that the Codex Astartes has defined for Companies. So as a Painter / Army Builder you could use Yellow, Red, Green, Orange, Purpel, Grey and Blue (if you or I really want this, and if it leads to a raven-guardy looking army is another topic …) but at least you have the option, right?  And now that I think about it, I have seen red should trims on some Raven Guards here and there

Second: One thing that frequently make me, feel like I'm in the wrong place, when I am visiting sub-forums of Chapters, that have their own Codex like … let's say the Space Wolves … is the whining about this nerfed Unit or that unforgivable Msitake that GW ahs done with the Fluff. My general Impression is, that the Players and Enthusiast of Underdog Chapters tend to be more optimistic and all in all more happy with their Chapter and with anyone giving some love (in form of an Army or Ideas) to their Chapter …

I would go so far as to ask you wether you agree to this, buuut … I am curious: How do you see that yourself?

Thanks in Advance!

First: Yes, Codex Astartes compliant....just a bit sneakier (or we will be again when Chapter tactic equivalents appear in 8th *fingers crossed).... but with a love of jump backs and an unhealthy fascination with lightning claws!

Colour wise we follow the same company colours, usually displayed on the right shoulder trim, or knee pad....e.g. my RG are 4th company, so green for me:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/Valaas/Raven%20Guard%204th/DSC_0663_zpskpi4hxdz.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/Valaas/Raven%20Guard%204th/IMG_20170406_010032_zps6mnm7a56.jpg

Second: Pretty much agree with you there, there's often tactical discussion on how formations worked....but even those that some found below par would be countered by a counter argument with a fluffy way of playing them. Definitely less, how to build a deathstar list here.

I have always found this forum very engaging and always there for advice.

Cheers,

Valaas

Edited by Valaas

Valaas hit the nail on the head with your first question. As for the second one, all I can say is that the Raven Guard sub-forum will welcome anyone into the ranks with open arms, and with the combined knowledge of everyone all your questions will have multiple answers. We have great mods overseeing and lending a hand here as well. The next step for you is to create a WIP thread about your new RG or RG successor army :wink:... the soon to begin event we're hosting I believe will give you just the right nudge into the shadows with us :whistling: