Raven Guard Codex and/or chapter tactics in 8th Edition?

NattyMac

Valaas is correct on point 1, each company has its own colours generally displayed a pauldron.

The only way we really deviate from the Codex is where we display our helardy. 

Who said anything about underdog??
Only the true tacticians play RG, we don't need to spam "broken", "OP" units to win. ;)

As atonement for those comments, you must now start a RG WiP thread! :)

I do have further Questions, and this time they are even in line with the Threads original Topic. :happy.:

1. I do know that the Blood Angels have a Special Rule, that allows them to kinda Deep Strike all Units with Jump Packs. Do the Raven Guard (Vanilla Marines) have that also 8th Edition, as far as anyone can tell right now?
  2. If I am mistaken, Deep Striking Terminators with Teleport Homers got more reliable with 8th Edition, and I do know that the Blood Angels (sorry for constant reference to them!) have Teleport Homers for Sergeants of the Tactical Squad as well as Scout Squads. Is that the same for Vanilla Marines.
  3. I've read some Raven Guard Army Lists and Terminators are very rare to bee seen, which is kinda fluffy of course as they are supposed to not have to much of them. And – if I am not mistaken – they were excluded from the 7th Edition Raven Guard Chapter Tactics, because of bulky. Buuut … they do have Lightning Claws! And they can teleport! I mean … I can't think of something "from the shadows" than teleporting. Plus: They hit hard. So … in my mind they fit kind of well with the Raven Guard, especially if teleporting really became more reliable. Did I miss any other Reason for Terminators being so rare in Raven Guard Army Lists?

As always: Thanks a lot in advance for your help and patience!

1. All units with Jump Packs have the Jump Pack Assault special rule which is essentially the replacement for "Deep Strike".

2. All Terminators come equip with the Teleport Homer now. There is no such thing as a Bool Angels Tactical Squads any more, they are just Space Marine Squads with the Blood Angels faction key word. Sergeants no longer have access to any sort of beacon and neither do scouts. 

3. This is a matter of preference. If you like the way they look then go for it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

My turn!

I'm skipping 1 and 2 because that involves looking at leaked images.

For 3 though, my impression is that Terminators have never been really "fluffy" for the Raven Guard because of their inability to "slip into the shadows" ... or whatever.  Personally, I agree with your idea: they can hit fast via Deep Strike (which is what Drop Pods, Land Speeders and Jump pack units could (can?) do.

Yet, I think the real problem with Terminators and Raven Guard in 7th edition (maybe 6th), was a dreadful combination of Chapter Tactics, the Bulky SR and the DS mechanic.  It was simply stacked against Terminator units to make them unpalatable for even TDA lovers like me.

Soooo0oo0oo000ooo ... In 8th, they are looking VERY GOOD TO USE OMG.  If you want them in your RG list, then please use them.  I will.  Not every list, but I don't make, nor advocate, all-comer lists one-size-fits-all lists.

I loved running my TH/SS terminators in 7th and will probably be getting some LC ones for 8th.

My thoughts is they're the anvil to the more mobile elements hammer.

They teleport in and crush the enemy, no need to fade away afterwards as there will be no witnesses ;)

If you're thinking about Terminators or VV's (or anything with a Storm Shield) check out the awesome ones Plokoone made! 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/331098-3d-modeling-and-printing/page-3?do=findComment&comment=4778261

I have my own, made the traditional way and better fitting the size of a terminator and the status of a 1st company member. ^^

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll247/Kuanor/Sturmschild08.jpg

For 3 though, my impression is that Terminators have never been really "fluffy" for the Raven Guard because of their inability to "slip into the shadows" ... or whatever.

With the 8th’ homer beacon rules (you avoid looking at) they even can. :wink:

Edited by Kua

We're not Vanilla Marines.

We're Licorice ;)

My guys are 3rd Company, so their right pauldron trim is red. I also use a bit more color than a lot of Raven Guard painters, and I hate edge highlights.

Also, this sunforum covers all the successor chapters too. Raptors, Revilers, Black Guard, Death Spectres, Knights of the Raven, Carcharodons (suspected).

And you can make up your own if you like. Most Raven Guard successors tend to have drab colors, but it's hardly a rule. The Hawk Lords are rumored to be sons of Corax as well, and they wear bright purple trimmed in yellow. And if you want a chuckle, look up the Raptors original colors. Blue and yellow.

Edited by Realityburn

Examples of some Ravens with a little more color:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/330620-realityburns-wip-thread/page-2?do=findComment&comment=4699786

Instead of cluttering up your thread with a bunch of pics, figured I'd just link to my WIP thread ( which will be re-visited soon).

Edited by Realityburn

We're not Vanilla Marines.

We're Licorice :wink:

My guys are 3rd Company, so their right pauldron trim is red. I also use a bit more color than a lot of Raven Guard painters, and I hate edge highlights.

Also, this sunforum covers all the successor chapters too. Raptors, Revilers, Black Guard, Death Spectres, Knights of the Raven, Carcharodons (suspected).

And you can make up your own if you like. Most Raven Guard successors tend to have drab colors, but it's hardly a rule. The Hawk Lords are rumored to be sons of Corax as well, and they wear bright purple trimmed in yellow. And if you want a chuckle, look up the Raptors original colors. Blue and yellow.

Thanks a lot! You really know how to make a guest feel welcome at the Ravenspire!

If I will go with the Raven Guard, I'll probably stick to the black and I spent the last days thinking about how to make them "my Dudes" and already found some ways, that could really work out fine. I found the amazing Stormcast Eternals on Ex Profundis which many of you probably know, I I really like the Main Colour Concept: Only two very drab Colours and then only one or maximum two Details on the Mini in a strong Contrasting Highlight Color. Of course my Skills as a painter are nowhere near those of Bruticus and I would leave away the porcelain effect and replace White with Black, but I think I'll test that on one or two Minis in the next Weeks while digesting the new Rules and Indices. I think I'll end up with even less colours than common Raven Guards to make the highlighted Detaisl really really stand out. Of course I let you know on progress (in an own Thread then) …

Thanks again. From the heart of my heart.

I don't have any pictures of my Raven's right now but I like giving mine a slightly grey/blue tint to the black. Makes them look a little bit more like shadows instead of straight black.

As to the lack of chapter tactics, I was distraught at first. I've since had a little look at the rules..and it seems like Assault marines with a flamer will be some of the strongest units before they nerf bat it. Scouts are also pretty strong.
They get the Fly special rule, meaning they will be able to attack flying targets.. while having just landed auto hits to fliers with the flamers.

We'll also probably get some announcement or free pdf release on chapter tactics around the time of either chapter approved/codexes. The captain auras seem a stop gap for the initial release. So no need to worry.

Edited by Khine