What if - We dont see more loyalist Primarchs?

SickSix

The hate towards RG and the ultramarines would fester and spread until it gets so bad they will probably have to kill him off.

But the impresion i got from Dark Imperium is that the SW and DA will get the main role in the fallowing plot progressions and they will act as a major counter balance to RG.

Well, didn't we have half a year of Wulfen and Space Wolves with the Fenris campaign. Aren't it a bit enough for the Wolves (at least for now)?

DA on the other hand - especially if the Lion will return (and he will, probably) would be something fresh.

My prediction is based on who is in my opinion getting time in the spot light when there is absolutely no need for it. And a SW primaris SM and a DA primaris SM got a lot of time that was just talking about them and explaining their motivations. The DA primaris SM even said in front of everyone that RG is a hypocrite and there was even parts where the relation between the SW and DA primaris SM was explained. And from those two the SW primaris SM had the most time in the spot light . I think he was mentioned in like 3-4 chapters.

Based on this i think that Russ is coming next  and is then somehow involved in the resurrection of the Lion

Edited by Demigod

I need to preface this by saying my post is 100% opinion, and reflects my own personal views on the subject. Said opinion might differ from others on the site, obviously. So with that said...

On the one hand, it'd be cool to see primarchs in plastic- especially if they receive creative re-imaginings between the forgeworld and plastic models like magnus and guilliman received.  However, from a game standpoint as well as a narrative one, the primarchs showing back up is going to cause some grief for some.  Guilliman is a tough nut to crack, and in 7th edition magnus was a powerhouse.  Imagine every marine/chaos legion getting a similar hero and it only compounds the problem.

On the other hand-- part of the mystery and intrigue of the missing primarchs is that for their own personal reasons, they are off doing whatever; leaving it to the imagination what kind of apocalyptic scenario would have to happen for them to show back up again.  Are games workshop at a point in terms of their lore writing that they could come up with a scenario that is suitably dire to warrant the return of these wayward sons without it sending people running for the hills that 40k is going to get "sigmarized" as it were?   Ultimately, I'm just worried that something along the lines of this are going to happen- more for a cash grab than propelling the narrative:

35188557045_bb7896f7c0.jpg

I think Guilliman on his own is the best scenario, it alienates him even more and if they have to have a Primarch knocking about then I'd rather he was conflicted and didn't have his brothers to turn to for support. I do get where those that want more of them to return are coming from but for me they should stay the thing of myth and legend.

Daemon Primarchs are fine but I'd personally let the past lie.

GW is a business, Pimarchs sell.  Therefore Primarchs will be made.  I wouldn't be shocked if GW finds a way to bring all 20 18 back.

If they do that i'll quit 40k tbh, bringing the lion back and russ might be okay. But Ferrus... and cheapen the death of Sanguinius? I can only sit and watch GW wreck their own lore/setting for so long.

GW is a business, Pimarchs sell. Therefore Primarchs will be made.

To be fair, Primarchs have been a huge part of the background for over twenty years now. It's only now that GW's become desperate and shortsighted enough to bring them back and kill their long-term potential.

I like your reasoning Doghouse but if smurfs get their boy, I want Vulcan.

To be honest I think that is a fair comment mate. After all it is not just about a fictional history/setting/meta at the end of the day and is also about cool miniatures which I'd say is what the majority of the fans of 40k are all about (acknowledging that some are interested purely in the likes of novels and things and may not ever buy a model or play the game). 

GW is a business, Pimarchs sell.  Therefore Primarchs will be made.  I wouldn't be shocked if GW finds a way to bring all 20 18 back.

If they do that i'll quit 40k tbh, bringing the lion back and russ might be okay. But Ferrus... and cheapen the death of Sanguinius? I can only sit and watch GW wreck their own lore/setting for so long.

Primarchs who shouldn't come back...

Curze

Ferrus

Sang

...but even beheaded Eidolon came back, so who knows where BL is going?

I've said this before, but I'm going to say it again -- and I'll keep saying it, if I need to -- but according to the 3rd Edition Index Astartes article on the Iron Hands, Ferrus told his sons he was going to come back.  Talk all you want about "he's dead, he shouldn't come back," but it's right there in a published GW book that Ferrus will, indeed, return.

Index Astartes ceased to be canon.

And besides when did he tell them, right before he got himself killed? :p

A. I must have missed that memo.

B. After the Emps fought Horus, his ghost appeared simultaneously to every Iron Hand in the galaxy and promises to return when humanity needed him most.

You know what - I'd be perfectly happy if no more loyalist Primarchs make a comeback. Seriously...

For 40k the Primarchs are a thing of myth and legend, the Imperium that was that we will never see again. There's an air of mystery around their disappearances, which bringing them back would have to be resolved. For me, at least, the mystery is as much of the setting as everything else. Did the likes of the Khan and Corax survive, what happened to Russ in the warp? Not everything needs to be explained, conjecture and discussion / rumour are good things.

That being said, GW is a company and Primarchs sell. Hopefully they'll focus on the Daemonic Bretheren and leave the mystery of the loyalists be. If they need to bring back another loyalist then the Lion will most likely be the sensible bet. His location is known (at least to us), and would provide a good counter for Guillman and be a more devisive voice in the Imperium. Let Chaos have the big guys, and keep the Imperium on the back foot.

What if we don't see any more Loyalist primarchs?

Then I guess GW would be able to spend their time and resources on getting us named characters for Iron Hands and other chapters as well as Iron Warriors, Night Lords, Alpha Legion, Word Bearers.

What if we don't see any more Loyalist primarchs?

Then I guess GW would be able to spend their time and resources on getting us named characters for Iron Hands and other chapters as well as Iron Warriors, Night Lords, Alpha Legion, Word Bearers.

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

Ferrus has been successfully cloned, less metal arms, dozens of times. He could come back.

Jags or corax need to be on the wrong side of the rift if they come back.

Dorn needs to be on terra if he were to come back.

Who knows about Russ.

I'm getting sceptical about the lion due to 110+ years passing and the watchers still don't think it's wake up time.

I'm getting sceptical about the lion due to 110+ years passing and the watchers still don't think it's wake up time.

The only rationalization I can come up with for this is that they're waiting for more Traitor Primarchs to appear before waking up the Lion.  Guilliman's been holding his own in a galaxy where two of his corrupted brothers are at large (being Magnus and Mortarion); if a third joins the fray and tips the balance too far towards Chaos, maybe then they'll give the Lion a kick.

There's no more mysticism to the Primarchs following the huge volumes of detailed lore material.

With the exception of what happened to some of them at the end of the Horus Heresy. Some died along the way, a lot of the remaining traitor Primarchs achieved Daemonhood, a couple of the loyalists were 'injured' - and then some simply disappeared for millennia. With all the writing that's been done for the Heresy, and even going forward into a Scouring setting, there's still not going to be obvious answers to some of the Primarchs fate. We have some accounts that simply say that they will return at the Imperiums greatest need (such as Bjorn, who IIRC was the last person / Astartes to see Russ), but nothing to document what actually happened. Hence the mysticism about them - they simply disappeared into the annals of legend. 

And preferably, this is where I think they should stay. 

I don't mind the Primarchs are returning slowly.

With units like Imperial Knights and the like on the born there is room for the Primarchs to be apart of the game and not kill everything that is not a Primarch.

But if some of them are returning from the dead.... Well that will be a showstopper for me.

Death is imported for a good story, it make room for new heroes and villains.

I am not overly worried about more of the traitor Primarchs return before the loyalist ones.

Chaos has always be it own worst enemy, and I would like to see a return of the legion wars.

That why I would like to see the death of Abaddon, he's the one unifying chaos and that need to stop.

Or at least let him declare war on the traitor Primarchs, return of such strong and charismatic personalities could be a big threat to the brotherhood and unity of the Black Legion.

It would be good for the story to have a internal conflict in the imperial and chaos factions, just to shake it up a bit.

The OP seems to think that just because GW didn't drop a few Primarchs at once, then no Primarchs are incoming in the future. Which from a fluff perspective makes sense, as during "Wrath of Magnus," it was logically the perfect moment for the Lion and Russ to rejoin the Imperium to kick their psychic brother in the teeth.

It also makes no business sense to do this, as most people would buy only one of those three Primarchs. GW wants you to buy them all.... eventually.

Look how they've drawn out the launches so far...

1. Magnus, with the Thousand Sons army of Rubrics and Tzaangors.

2. Guilliman, soon followed by 8th Edition and Primaris Marines.

3. Mortarion, and probably some more Death Guard releases.

GW is no doubt going to keep releasing Primarchs, but will do so gradually with their own units and fluff rather than simply, "Everyone's back, HERESY 2.0!" Each Primarch merits its own unique accompanying units, and GW will capitalize on that.

For example;

- Lion El'Jonson with a Dark Angel Primaris release

- Fulgrim with a Slaanesh release

- Perturabo with a Dark Mechanicum release

That's simple spit-balling, but honestly in my opinion this is not just a better business strategy, its better storytelling. It gives you something to look forward to down the line, rather than everyone showing up at once (kind of what like WFB End Times was).

Urriak, you are right. It just bothers me how awful the writing is. Or more specifically how GW always writes themselves into a corner.

Seriously what better time was there for Russ to come back than Wrath of Magnus?

Now it's just going to stupid and hamfisted.