What if - We dont see more loyalist Primarchs?

SickSix

My personal hope is the Corax shows up and does a hostile takeover of the Night Lords.

Corax would be horrified by what the Imperium has become, and would be one of the few who could command the NLs.

It would lead to a change in the NLs doctrines though, less-murder more-anarchy.

Corax taking over the Night Lords doesn't even need to happen. We already HAVE "Night Lords if Corax was in charge of them".

We call them Raven Guard :wink:

Except that this scenario isn't "Corax in charge of Night Lords," it's "Corax doing his best impression of Curze."  There's a huge difference.

It will be... disappointing if we don't get more loyalist Primarchs. We have all these Traitor Primarchs turned Deamon Lords(?) running around, but only Guiliman as the "Champion of the Imperium".

As a Space Marine player, I'm always bitterly disappointed when my opponent plops down a Deamon Prince, Wraithknight, Riptide, C'Tan, Carnifex/Hive Tyrant, or whatever other big mob/critter, and here I am with my Space Marines. Biggest model I have is a tank or dreadnought. I love seeing Guiliman on the table! Finally! Space Marine players have a great model with great rules. Is it worth playing Ultra Smurfs to get the full benefits of him? I'm beginning to think yes... 

Who would I like to see next? A full up retcon Sanguinius, who was only mostly dead, and was secretly entombed in a stasis chamber just like Guiliman, back to lead his Blood Angels. What will we probably get? Who knows. It's GW. They've never really done anything logically when it comes to the fluff, which makes my return of Sanguinius wish not all that fanciful.

As a Space Marine player, I'm always bitterly disappointed when my opponent plops down a Deamon Prince, Wraithknight, Riptide, C'Tan, Carnifex/Hive Tyrant, or whatever other big mob/critter, and here I am with my Space Marines. Biggest model I have is a tank or dreadnought. I love seeing Guiliman on the table! Finally! Space Marine players have a great model with great rules. Is it worth playing Ultra Smurfs to get the full benefits of him? I'm beginning to think yes...

As a Dark Eldar player, I'm confused. Can you explain what you feel you're missing out on? Most of the units you've listed are the same size or smaller than your tanks and various dreadnoughts.

Are you not counting Imperial Knights because there isn't a Space Marine inside of them?

I love seeing Guiliman on the table! Finally! Space Marine players have a great model with great rules.

Yes, it is really too bad that the Space Marine miniatures line has been shorted so much over the last several years. :rolleyes:

Really, tho, this attitude is both why we'll see more Loyalist Primarchs, and why it's a bad idea. It scratches a consumer itch, but it's an itch that says "I want everything," and giving into that is an easy path towards annihilating the theme, mood and basic concepts that make 40K work. Yes, the Space Marines don't have Daemon Princes or Carnifexes or other "big" things because they're humans - they have to make due with that, overcome it and hold out against a universe that contains gods and monsters of enormous scale that are dead set on devouring mortals. If you give Space Marines (and the Imperium) a god, they're just another race doing the same things as many of the rest of the setting's antagonists. It creates an equivalency of blandness.

Edited by Lexington

I don't mind primarchs returning, albeit in a certain way.

Guilliman just kind of returns, the exact same as before. This is both boring and bad storytelling.

Magnus returns, and he's a full Daemon Prince. They really needed to explore that a whole lot more with novels and fluff, about why he's returned and what he's planning, but it's moderately better.

So if the loyalists return, slowly, and with big changes to their character, I'm cool with that.

Someone keeps describing a Leman Russ that is more similar to Odin than his 30k Thor. That's a pretty good example of good Primarch-returning.

Guilliman just kind of returns, the exact same as before. This is both boring and bad storytelling.

Magnus returns, and he's a full Daemon Prince. They really needed to explore that a whole lot more with novels and fluff, about why he's returned and what he's planning, but it's moderately better.

So if the loyalists return, slowly, and with big changes to their character, I'm cool with that.

Someone keeps describing a Leman Russ that is more similar to Odin than his 30k Thor. That's a pretty good example of good Primarch-returning.

Yep I'd dig an Odin Leman Russ. Bitter, aged, wiser and disappointed with how the wolves have managed to become caricatures of themselves but proud that at the core is a loyal legion ready to die for humanity.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I'd dig an Odin Leman Russ. Bitter, aged, wiser and disappointed with how the wolves have managed to become caricatures of themselves but proud that at the core is a loyal legion ready to die for humanity.

That'd also be a meta-dig at those that went OTT with wolfyness. 

That'd also be a meta-dig at those that went OTT with wolfyness. 

Given that the guy who originally went OTT with wolfyness is still part of the Studio - and seemingly someone with a lot of sway on the writing process - I kind of doubt that will be happening. :tongue.:

The Khan ended up in the rejuvenating parts of the Webway and is returned as a kid or a baby after which the primarchs and the white scars have an enormous argument ( even clash )  on who gets to raise him.

Russ intercepts Cypher and gets the Lion sword from him after which he goes into the Rock shows the Dark Angels that Johnson is there and while they are all looking around being amazed he stabs him in the chest with the sword. Everyone draws guns and just about as battle is to be joined the Lion comes back alive.

Edited by Demigod

I always thought that Corax left through the shame of failing to build more Astartes with the gene knowledge The Emperor gave him.

Now that Cawl has stomped all over that by being clever Corax should come back and say "oh! That's how you do it, thanks!"

Well if we see more 40k Primarchs, GW is going to have to do something to justify them having models different from their 30k incarnations.

I mean why would 40k Lion look any different than 30k Lion?

Would FW concede to letting GW make plastic kits for a couple of the Primarchs that would be 'official' models in both games?

Edited by SickSix

Pretty sure the Lion would need physio. His muscles will be wasted away and his body malnourished.

If that's how Primarch physiology works. Which I'm going to assume it is as they would need vast amounts of fuel to feed themselves.

• 2 weeks later...