Forgeworld or Index Imperium?

Aothaine

Hey everyone! I'm looking around for what army to play and examining as many options as I can. I think the chaos cultists models look really good. Anyone know if the cultist sprues can be run with the Index Imperium rules for Astra Militarum? 

I noticed another post about the Forgeworld book and I know that not a lot of information has been revealed about it. Mainly just playing fun games with some friends but I might also think about taking it to some tournaments so I want to make sure I'm using the best source for rules if I decide to go with Renegades.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts.

If you're playing the GW cultist models and want to go wysiwyg, then AM isn't the best place. At least half the GW cultists have close combat weapons and pistols, and that's not an options in AM. If counting them all as rifles is not a big deal, the AM is a pretty solid list.

R&H In 7th was a very awesome list that ended up having some fairly competitive options. Only time will tell if we will be able to do that in 8th.

Easiest will always be using the index and running count as. FW has said they are going to be releasing that sometime soon after the firsr wave.

Personally I am leaning more towards Index because now you can take Penitent engines....and flagellents....and other things you can convert. And Admech....dark mech....mmmmm tasty

• 2 weeks later...

The FW chaos index has what 3 or so units for R&H? I'll pass, and technically you probably don't need the chaos index either. Just the Imperium 2 index and the AM FW index really isn't that bad. 

There are a lot of units that are purely Renegade (at least 15). And based on IAXIII, most of the tanks, sentinels and lords of war in the AM list and the FW AM book (except for Death Korps and Elysians' own units) will probable be usuable for Renegades, but the chaos index units - being all within the same faction - will surely be able to be mixed in to a Renegade army? 

60040187059_ImperialArmourAstraMilitarum

60040187059_ImperialArmourAstraMilitarum

In the past Renegades list, there were:

• HQ - demagogues
  • HQ - their command sqauds
  • HQ - enforcers
  • HQ - psykers
  • TROOPS - renegade infantry platoons
  • TROOPS - mutant rabbles
  • TROOPS - rveterans
  • TROOPS - rzombies
  • ELITES - disciples
  • ELITES - ogryns
  • ELITES - maruaders
  • ELITES - Blood Slaughterer
  • ELITES - Blight Drone
  • ELITES - Noise Marines
  • ELITES - Sonic Dreadnought (RIP - although FB team passed this complaint onto the rules team, apparently)
  • FAST ATTACK - Hellhounds
  • FAST ATTACK - Sentinels
  • FAST ATTACK - Salamanders
  • FAST ATTACK - Valkyries
  • HEAVY SUPPORT - Renegade weapons teams
  • HEAVY SUPPORT - Leman Russes, including Conquerors
  • HEAVY SUPPORT - Rapiers
  • HEAVY SUPPORT - Heavy Ordinance (the Batteries in the contents above)
  • HEAVY SUPPORT - Basilisks and Medusas Squadron
  • HEAVY SUPPORT - Field Support guns (Heavy Quad Launchers or Heavy Mortars)
  • HEAVY SUPPORT - Gryffons or Wyverns
  • HEAVY SUPPORT - Hydras
  • HEAVY SUPPORT - Colossus
  • LORD OF WAR - Baneblade, Malcador Heavy Tank, Malcador Defender, Minotaur Artillery Tank
  • LORD OF WAR - An'ggrath the Unbound, Scabiethrax, Zaraknyei, or Aetaos'rau'keres
  • LORD OF WAR (Mutant) -  Giant Chaos Spawn, Spined Chaos Beasts
  • LORD OF WAR (Khorne) - Lord of Skulls or Greater Brass Scorpion
  • LORD OF WAR (Archfield) - Macharius varients
  • LORD OF WAR (Heretek) - Valdor Tank Hunter, Greater Brass Scorpion, Chaos Warhound Titan, or Chaos Reaver Titan

Finally, because of the Chaos keyword, you'll be able to mix fearlessly with all the other chaos forces :wink:

Edited by Petitioner's City

Given there are basically no R&H players who don't also have a CSM army, it's hardly a loss that we may need the chaos index as well to use the renegades list. Regardless I'm really looking forward to seeing the rules when they are out tomorrow, hoping for some decent and fun rules for R&H. 

Given there are basically no R&H players who don't also have a CSM army, it's hardly a loss that we may need the chaos index as well to use the renegades list. Regardless I'm really looking forward to seeing the rules when they are out tomorrow, hoping for some decent and fun rules for R&H. 

Me too, although I think it is Saturday the AM and Xenos indices come out (curses, I wish they were out tomorrow too!)

Yeah but if you want to field renegades alongside chaos marines and you still want a convenient, we're still stuck with the old situation of taking your renegade commander as the warlord if you want a covenant.  At least since the covenants are not all that amazing I'd be fine with just not taking one and having my chaos lord be the warlord. 

Got the Forge World index for Imperial Guard this weekend. I honestly don't see a reason not to play renegades as regular guard, that just look like heretics. There doesn't seem to be anything particularly special and there are a lot of negatives. Most things are renamed equivalents of something the Astra Militarum gets, but with random leadership and no ability to use orders.

All the cool Forge World heavy support they can get so too can Astra Millitarum. I think the only real thing there isn't a direct comparison to is there are three Ogryn choices for the Renegades, and the psyker abilities are different.

I was thinking Tzeentch for the better overwatch looks like a good choice as well.

It depends on the flavor you want. Since Marks of Chaos don't mean much anymore, I'm doing mine with the guard rules and converting minis.  Also gives me access to corrupt all sorts of cool Imperial stuff. :) Unless you are playing tournaments with certain rules, I doubt anyone will mind.

I'm a little confused about the Earthshaker entries...

There is the Earhskaker Battery and the Earthshaker Carriage Battery...no crew is listed for the Earthshaker Battery?

Good eye, thats hilarious. 80pt automated Basilisks, deal.

Earthshaker battery can't ever move, has no crew, and doesn't have a model available any more because it's out of print.

Earthshaker carriage can move if you dedicate a special vehicle to do it, costs more than the battery after you include the required 3 crewman, is easier to neutralize because those three crewman are all 1 wound T3, and has a really expensive model available.

Heavy Mortar carriage can move if you dedicate a special vehicle to do it, costs almost as much as an earthshaker battery after including the 3 required crewmen, and is basically worse than the Earthshaker Battery in every other way.