Vanguard Veteran Weapon Loadouts 8th Edition

Noxnoctis22

Oh I'll have at least 1 LCx2 unit. I'm not swapping out the power weapon guys though ( I had 2 units of 10 with power weapons, 1 unit with stormshields, chainswords/pistols and 3 thunder hammers). Shrike's wing is on the work table being reassembled after breaking part. 

I'm thinking, with 6 elite slots, doing a couple skirmisher units with pistols/plasma pistols. Then behind them the main assault force. As much as I'd love a pure unit of LCx2 etc, I think every unit will have some shield guys as fodder. I'm looking at 40 vets now, with 6 scout squads so I can either ds them or maybe stratagem them. I'm guessing it will be 1 point per unit ( hopefully). I'd deploy 19 inches away move the VV units up, then drop shrike in with them if possible ( to save cp's). 

It is totally poor game design that allows company vets, banners, apothecaries etc to take bikes but not jump packs. 

Blood Angels can give those guys jump packs, I think it's part of what GW considers as making them unique. Maybe we'll get it in C:SM but I doubt it.

I think the optimal setup is probably dedicated TH+PP or 2xLC squads with some SS+CCW guys in tow. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of some marines just being meat for the others, and it's cool when the full squad matches unless they all have different loadouts and personalities. I'm thinking I'll run mine as one squad with a Chaplain where everyone has TH+SS, and another where it's all chainswords and BPs with *maybe* a couple of Storm Shields and Power Swords.

I think the optimal setup is probably dedicated TH+PP or 2xLC squads with some SS+CCW guys in tow.

I agree.

But I don’t see fluff, style of coolness problems running them this way.

Though TH+PP I’d probably only give the sergeant and maybe another member, this setup too expensive to start dying beginning with the first wound.

Just thinking about a squad like:

3xTH+PP

2xSS+CCW

Is that really more survivable than 5xTH+SS? Obviously it's cheaper with two less Thunderhammers (though the Plasma Pistol costs offset that a bit.) But the squad is much less likely to obliterate something even over two turns, and it should really only be charging optimal targets for the TH otherwise those bonus wounds are wasted. And once the SS guys die, the Thunderhammer marines will be going down pretty quick against anything with solid AP.

I'm thinking:

5xTH+SS vs. monsters, vehicles, etc. multiwound targets

2x2LC and 3xSS+CCW/Power Sword vs. 1-wound targets

2x2LC and 3xSS+CCW/Power Sword vs. 1-wound targets

I think the latter setup is better for the combination of two types, since the LCs really benefit from being able to run with double claws, but the unit has so many attacks already with the chainswords that it might not need more than a couple special weapon guys. Seems more thematic to me and it's kind of like Shrike's bodyguard, though ideally he'd be within 6" of both units really.

Based on  the Strike from the Shadows strategem, I think I'm going to break up my 15 vv's as on 10 man unit of 2xLC and on 5 man unit of SS/TH. Keep Shrike with the LC squad and A librarian with the Raven Fury jump pack with the TH boys rolling for Might of Heros and Veil of Time. 

I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling. This is going to be a fun edition for the Ravens.

hehe, well you can still combat squad them if there isn't anything worthy of that many LCs. But hey, I want to see what happens to a Knight when charged by 10 LC at S5 (Might of Hero's) rerolling all hits and wounds. 

Yeah, frankly I think a Chaplain is better with the TH guys as his re-roll all misses helps with the -1 to hit, and Shrike can really bolster either unit with his claws since they do D3 damage - though they are probably a bit wasted vs. high toughness models even with the re-roll at only strength 4.

I like the idea of a 10 man Squad with Shrike. But 10 LC's? Isn't it overkill ? For the most enemies ? Or what are we gonna attack with this unit? :D

It's "only" 12/13 dead marines, which is about right this edition, as it allows you to wipe a unit even with slightly unlucky rolls (the only kind that happen out there in the real world ;)) With fall back moves, leaving enemy models in the unit has no advantage, and with good positioning you can wipe, consolidate and end up 12" away, armoured once again by the night itself.

Mhm sounds good.

Didn't have the rules now, how far can I move when i wipe a enemy unit? Is there some resposition move? I have 3" in my mind...but not sure :D

I'll give the 10man-double-claw-unit a try next to my 5-hammer guys and Shrike

Do you guys prefer a Captain next to Shrike or a Librarian? We need a 2nd guy with the relic

Didn't have the rules now, how far can I move when i wipe a enemy unit? Is there some resposition move? I have 3" in my mind...but not sure :D

You're right its 3", but I had misremembered the rule anyway. You always have to move towards the nearest enemy model, so you wouldn't want to use it to help with Shadow Masters anyway. Stupid brain :)

I'll give the 10man-double-claw-unit a try next to my 5-hammer guys and Shrike

Do you guys prefer a Captain next to Shrike or a Librarian? We need a 2nd guy with the relic

That should mess up all sorts of stuff. As said, you can't go wrong with a librarian to null zone targets for either of those squads, and turn Shrike into a living blender.

I'm thinking of just going Plasma Pistols & Chainswords, maybe a Thunder Hammer.

Vanguard Squad - 7 man - 6 Plasma Pistols + Chainsword, Sgt Thunder Hammer & Plasma Pistols - 195

This unit can either enter via deepstrike or Strike from shadows.

I'm considering something similar but want the Codex in hand first.

I really want to make "Shrike's Wing", yet to be snowflakes about it would mean to give the squad 2xLC.  So, other Vanguard Squads would get the Chainsword in order to output more attacks.  The other weapon will start depending on the target intended.  But I also don't make one-size-fits-all lists.

I've been mulling over Plasma Pistols a lot. I'll really need to see them in-game to judge, but I think with only a 12" range it'll be hard to set up situations where you can shoot something they're good at killing and then charge something else that chainswords are good against. The 12" range also clashes with Shadow Masters - once you're within that bubble I think you want to be trying to chain assaults into consolidations into assaults for max survivability.

With SFTS if you want plasma you might as well run Hellblasters, they'll do a ton more damage (admittedly for a ton more points), are more survivable with two wounds and can stay 12" back for +1 cover. The 15" rapid fire might not be so great but the Heavy Plasma version might be a good option.