Vanguard Veteran Weapon Loadouts 8th Edition

Noxnoctis22

Dual wielding plasma pistols.deepstriking Hellblasters squad! Assault is still Ok because we'll Str7 is still str7.

Even on a 5 man squad 10 plasma shots can potentially be game changing.And if Shrike is w/in buff range as noted previously.....

Edited by ONDIG

Dual wielding plasma pistols.deepstriking Hellblasters squad! Assault is still Ok because we'll Str7 is still str7.

Even on a 5 man squad 10 plasma shots can potentially be game changing.And if Shrike is w/in buff range as noted previously.....

Think you have a misconception there. You don't get to use the pistols in melee. You just do base strength, which is S4.

• 5 weeks later...

The general guidelines as far as i have seen is basically: full lightning claws, full plasma pistols w chainswords(mobile death ball focuses more as a shooting unit then cc).  Other things to watch out for storm shields should go on non sergeant non carrying anything important to serve as sponges.  Thunder hammers over powerfists always.  Beyond that its personal taste more then anything else.

The general guidelines as far as i have seen is basically: full lightning claws, full plasma pistols w chainswords(mobile death ball focuses more as a shooting unit then cc).  Other things to watch out for storm shields should go on non sergeant non carrying anything important to serve as sponges.  Thunder hammers over powerfists always.  Beyond that its personal taste more then anything else.

I'm running 2 squads of VV in my current 1250 list; an 8 man squad with twin lightning claws being led by a Jump Chaplain, and a 5 man squad with Plasma Pistols & Chain/Power Swords accompanying Captain Smashy.

One of the things I am trying overcome is the previous 7 editions mindset. I rarely ran the double claw because against dedicated HTH units and tough targets, you were toast. Now, with going first when you charge, you can do well with them.

Ditto the plasma pistol combo, since the points are so cheap.

I'm thinking of using a VV squad SfTS with a screening scout squad to make sure I don't get counter charged. 

One of the things I am trying overcome is the previous 7 editions mindset. I rarely ran the double claw because against dedicated HTH units and tough targets, you were toast. Now, with going first when you charge, you can do well with them.

Ditto the plasma pistol combo, since the points are so cheap.

I'm thinking of using a VV squad SfTS with a screening scout squad to make sure I don't get counter charged.

Remember they get their full movement after SFTS. If you place them 15" away the closest anyone will be able to get is a 9" charge, which will fail most of the time. If you're careful how you place them a successful counter charge is next to impossible.

That's helpful to remember because SFTS can drop in your opponent's deployment zone, and Concealed Positions cannot.

Edited by Claws and Effect

I’ve been running three squads lately with success. One squad of 7 with 5 PP and a lieutenant with teeth of terra and two squads of 6 with TH on sergeant, two dual LC and 2 SS and a bullet catcher.

Sergeant get three attacks with TH. SS tanks the big hits and bullet catcher is there for small arms. 6 is okay for moral with ld 9. The two combat units SftS with JP captain smash. It puts plenty of pressure on enemy deployment. The shorty unit are okay in combat and can react to enemy thrusts.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been thinking about getting a Tac box and doing a 10 man squad of vanguard vets, on foot, with chainsword and stormbolters.  That's 180 pts for 7 str. 4 attacks per man, which works out to 2.57 points per Str. 4 attack. Even death company at 17 pts, Chainsword and Boltgun = 6 attacks on charge can't approach that efficiency (2.83 pts. per Str 4 attack)

Not sure if I want to SftS with them or Rhino their happy asses up the board.

Would be Company Vets, not Vanguard. Vanguard don't get storm bolters.

Wow. Somehow missed that. Sternguard can get the Storm Bolters too, but no Chainsword.

Well poop.

Not a problem at all. Since they were going to be on foot anyway the lack of jump packs is irrelevant.

And they occupy the same slot and cost exactly the same. You literally change nothing but the name of the unit.

Would be Company Vets, not Vanguard. Vanguard don't get storm bolters.

Wow. Somehow missed that. Sternguard can get the Storm Bolters too, but no Chainsword.

Well poop.

Not a problem at all. Since they were going to be on foot anyway the lack of jump packs is irrelevant.

And they occupy the same slot and cost exactly the same. You literally change nothing but the name of the unit.

Well, that and max unit size of 5. Although I get an extra attack for the Sgt, and RG don't really have a good unit-buffing psychic power, so I guess it all works out.

Think you have a misconception there. You don't get to use the pistols in melee. You just do base strength, which is S4.

My bad.But pistols can be fired during shooting even if enemy is w/in 1'. Assault even at str4 just gravy!

My bad.But pistols can be fired during shooting even if enemy is w/in 1'. Assault even at str4 just gravy!

Yes, but it would take two rounds of melee combat before you can take any pistol shots, if you're engaging them.

Yes, but it would take two rounds of melee combat before you can take any pistol shots, if you're engaging them.

Pistol shots before the first charge, and 8n the shooting phase next turn.

I'd run plasma + chainsword if I were going to do that. Don't want to lose the third attack.