After Badab. Mechanicus inq28 finished

binary

That is looking well, but you might want to do some GS into the connection on the barrels of the autocannons. Thinks look a little off at the moment, due to not lining up and how they were cut.

Really digging the extra detail added around the collar and such. Really helps add some definition.

• 2 weeks later...

That is looking well, but you might want to do some GS into the connection on the barrels of the autocannons. Thinks look a little off at the moment, due to not lining up and how they were cut.

Really digging the extra detail added around the collar and such. Really helps add some definition.

Thanks thousand eyes. Hadn't spotted that with the barrels, so I'll sort it!

I cannot even at the awesome in this thread. What the actual :censored: !

Can't wait to see a full army shot when you're... "Done" ;)

Haha Charlo, thanks mate....that'll be a while though!

WIP updates!

8JqM99k.jpg

So thought I'd share some WIP shots as a bit of an update. I also documented the build process for the Deredeo's ammo belt as the forgeworld ones didn't fit with the pose

Firstly inspiration struck from the strangest place

5Niz4oU.jpg

The nib from a cheap pen is the right size for the shells the deredeo's autocannons

After stripping 100 pens (they were dirt cheap!) this is what I ended up with

pbD72so.jpg

Added a few thin strips of masking tape and ended up with these

38z8Q5P.jpg

cg8L1RL.jpg

Then attached them to the deredeo's cannons and hopper. I then coated the belt in super glue to retain its shape

KOgPu6j.jpg

MXmJQ4F.jpg

PttuhPl.jpg

This is where he is now as I've started applying the base coat

8tKZeQO.jpg

ohx23Y2.jpg

Devestator squad is also at the same stage

2boH8LX.jpg

ahDTFGC.jpg

KMWH7ZR.jpg

And the sergeant. I wanted a way to illustrate the squad's signum so resin cast the head of the auspex from the stern guard box, then mounted a green LED inside.

FqmShC6.jpg

feCodk3.jpg

isAwBM9.jpg

More to come!

Impressive.

Well I aim to please!

Love the ammo feed belts, great work. Insane idea but it looks really well.

Insane about covers it! I wanted something different from the stock forgeworld look and I think this looks just different enough.

Updates!

8JqM99k.jpg

And after a few hours work today I think the Deredeo is finished.

I painted the details in a similar style to the cataphractii painted earlier, as I see the Deredeo as the dreadnought equivalent of cataphractii armour. Only thing missing is transfers as I'm designing a custom sheet and want to do the whole army in one go.

Presenting "Honoured Helaine" the Bastion of Mancora

PVsaLaT.jpg

OSg7RP6.jpg

uPWMFet.jpg

WFoDObZ.jpg

And lit up

vQNwlKc.jpg

As usual, c&c welcome

Excellent work on the Dreadnought.

looking awesomemate!! motivates me to press on with my own Deredeo

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Updates!

8JqM99k.jpg

So I finished up the first devestator squad. Squad Gawair are the 9th squad of 4th company and are honoured, or some would say cursed, with the chapter's only Mars pattern Plasma Cannons. Known collectively as "The Brothers" and individually as "Almacet" "Durendai" "Auteclar" and "Curtana" they are said to be named after ancient mighty weapons from mythology.

Sergeant Gawair was promoted to squad leader following the fatal injury of his Veteran sergeant and mentor Helaine.

Helaine's wounds led him to be interred in a Deredeo Chassis so that he may still advise and guide his prodigy

HtvFRge.jpg

IFo4ip7.jpg

Individual shots

Sergeant Gawair - yes the auspex screen lights up

Ll4mlw0.jpg

KAfRyQT.jpg

And the rest of the squad

TCSYw5b.jpg

FWbOtFM.jpg

re2fZ1u.jpg

CKKCJ9I.jpg

1m5dbXd.jpg

LARJp7q.jpg

MMex0sH.jpg

Hrt6FbJ.jpg

CIpVdck.jpg

Finally some action shots with second tactical

PHkCZby.jpg

1uqG0iG.jpg

yxOn3ZZ.jpg

jjg9Y7H.jpg

Sz3GQWY.jpg

As usual, c&c welcome

This is impressive on so many levels, especially how you fit a LED into an auspex, those things are tiny!

There are no problems with heating when enclosing wires like this? Any resistances needed or just batteries and LEDs?

Thanks mate, thankfully there's no heating issues at all as the LEDs draw so little power when they're on. The blue, pink and green LEDs all run on the same amps so don't need resistors if I'm running any combination of them. The red and yellow do need a resistor if I'm running them with another colour, but not if they're the only one on the model.

Must admit, very impressed.

Love the bolter fire!

Thanks! The bolter fire is probably one of my favourite bits too, and gave me the inspiration for the next part of the project

Updates!

8JqM99k.jpg

Spent a few hours today trialling my plan for the assault squad. While GW have given us a more dynamic pose with the assault marines, I wanted to incorporate the LEDs into the jump packs to make it look like they've either just taken off or are just landing.

Here's where I am so far. The exhausts are cast in resin like the helmet and where originally modelled as the fire effect for my heavy bolsters. They are only blue tac'd in place as I want to paint the figure before attaching it.

UzoPZIi.jpg

rYPmii5.jpg

lHqcWp0.jpg

GxPapA9.jpg

As usual, c&c welcome

• 2 weeks later...

Updates!

8JqM99k.jpg

Spent yesterday finalising the first 5 members of the assault squad. Each has 2 blue LEDs mounted in the jump pack to represent the thruster and 1 in the helmet as usual. I wanted to do something different with the sergeant, so decided to see if I could fit an LED and firing effect into a tiny bolt pistol. Happy to say that it fits!

Af1MzKh.jpg

q9k3oVE.jpg

ExG3RTg.jpg

XxD7dcg.jpg

nb0QkUg.jpg

wyrTqYk.jpg

KpAI4pJ.jpg

SBC8aMq.jpg

351yeev.jpg

Also built 1st tactical's rhino. The headlights are cast resin, the interior has a red LED and the front plate is mounted using magnets

UwXKTfa.jpg

oDT1bUm.jpg

OOqzuVz.jpg

And lastly, Captain Uthor. Now this conversion involved what is British refer to as "squeaky bum time". Decided to make him stand out by combining the forgeworld Garro and the second limited edition web captain, and believe me, attacking both models with a dremmel was scary!

h6xxcFm.jpg

Vv3aAjg.jpg

QehyEI6.jpg

uuZ1OxA.jpg

z1s1vn1.jpg

blolXHj.jpg

As usual, c&c welcome

Amazing work as every, binary, I love following your progress in this log. :cool.:

You've beat me to it with the jump packs! :biggrin.: I was planning to do a similar thing with my Crimson Fists Inceptors, although I think I'll go with yellow rather than blue. The blue does look good though! Keep it up. :happy.:

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever told you that you are clinically insane?!

Amazing stuff as always. Love the Garro captain and night shots!

You're not the first person to say that Charlo, and you won't be the last!

Amazing work as every, binary, I love following your progress in this log. :cool.:

You've beat me to it with the jump packs! :biggrin.: I was planning to do a similar thing with my Crimson Fists Inceptors, although I think I'll go with yellow rather than blue. The blue does look good though! Keep it up. :happy.:

Wow, high praise indeed from the LED master. Bob you continue to inspire me to do more and more insane things with my projects.

Updates!

8JqM99k.jpg

More work finished with the the fourth company.

The first combat squad of 7th Assault are finished. Have to say these were the toughest so far to build due to the limited space in the jump pack to fit the 2 LEDs without creating a short in the wiring

2A6sszf.jpg

a0e3syH.jpg

edrb9RT.jpg

Xqq9B7W.jpg

UbinZIv.jpg

iff52mB.jpg

hHktMGK.jpg

And to go along with Captain Uthor I also built the first of my Lieutenants.

OPnuFV8.jpg

Lieutenant Melehan was built using the forgeworld praetor's body and backpack, the second limited edition web captain's legs, sternguard arms and a "headhunter" pattern storm bolter. This was a sternguard bolter with an extra barrel added to give it and "under/over" look

io4PGkV.jpg

Cj5olnW.jpg

Captain Uthor, as mentioned in a previous post is built using forgeworld's Nathanial Garro, using the cape and power fist from the limited edition second web captain, a 30k plasma pistol and a custodes shield

XznG6jJ.jpg

Un1zWXu.jpg

Jw0hljS.jpg

TAcp1Gh.jpg

I also finished second tactical's rhino.

pl4ZVJB.jpg

y7ZH8bt.jpg

And finally some glamour shots

Assault squad Bedeven land and secure the entrance to the Hall of Correction, Tibannopolis, 922.M39

PqQGsdb.jpg

Captain Uthor and Lt. Melehan oversee the final assault of the Hall of Correction, Tibannopolis, 922.M39

mrgNzZF.jpg

0pzDafl.jpg

Second tactical squad led by Sergeant Agravail secure the Spiral Courtyard, Tibannopolis, 922.M39

2OzVyaI.jpg

As usual, c&c welcome

• 4 weeks later...

I seriously hope you win best in show to any even you go to with this force, if not, then the whom ever was grading armies needs to get their head checked by a proctologist....

Thanks for the compliment. Although I see this as more of a modelling project, they get their first outing at Armies on Parade this year!

This is really well done and those night pictures look fantastic!

I try :whistling: The scenery is actually the armies on parade board that I built 2 years ago, and I figured that ding them as night shots would look a lot more dramatic. Glad you approve!

Most impressive.

Don't know how many times I've said this in this thread, but thanks again Bjorn.

8JqM99k.jpg

And now what everyone is here for, more updates.  Been a bit of a while since I've been able to post updates, due to a rather important family crisis, and that combined with the surprise holiday my wife has booked for my 40th birthday in 10 days this may be the only update I manage this month.

So I started work on both 3rd Tactical squad, my apothecary and the Land raider Crusader that will become Captain Uthor's personal ride.

First up we have 3rd tactical.  These guys are armed with a melta gun and a multimelta, both of which are forgeworld resin ones to enable the red LED's to show through.  With the Multimelta I really wanted to use the shoulder mounted version, but it bugged me that there was no fuel cells mounted on it.  With this in mind I combined it with the Backpack and cabling from the Mediant pattern Multimelta.

JWdIJkP.jpg

FcBdZtf.jpg

inCNXS6.jpg

The apothecary.  Inspired by the new primaris Apothecary I wanted this guy to look like he was a melding of that and the original Apothecary.  To this end, the left hand was replaced with a bolt pistol hand, the right hand was converted from an open left hand and is holding one of the ork skulls from the scout box, and the semsor on the pack was replaced with the loading arm from the missile launcher backpack.

NjEOWEz.jpg

a2qrYCe.jpg

6eR6L7y.jpg

-Yes I am aware of the massive mould line. It has been removed now. Why do these things only show up in photos??

Lastly the Land Raider Crusader "Excalibur"

SO this is a bit more complicated than your average Land Raider. Firstly I wanted to emulate the look of the Spartan with tracks running all the way round. Then Extra armour to house the new headlights and give it that brutal assault tank look.  Lights (obviously) are resin copies of the rhino light housing, though I also added a green LED for the machine spirit and a red LED in the interior.(picture three shows how the battery and the wiring are hidden in the engine compartment which I hinged and magnetised.)

The rear top plate is not attached yet as I'm waiting for some parts to arrive to utilise the second battery hidden in there (in fact the sensor mounted next to the rear hatch is on top of a push switch for this)  What am I waiting for? Miniature 3V motors so I can have a pair of spinning assault cannons in a Spartan style cupola.

Ij9u0Q4.jpg

gqLCdjS.jpg

Nuvu4fC.jpg

As usual, c&c welcome

Good job binary, keep it up! :smile.: Looking forward to seeing how those assault cannons turn out. :cool.:

Then you're going to love this post then Bob.....

8JqM99k.jpg

As part of the Tale of Hobbyists 2017 I pledged this month to finish the Apothecary and "try" to get the land raider built.  With a bit of a family crisis and an upcoming surprise holiday (my wife has sprung on me that shes arranged for us to spend my birthday this year in Dubai, as its my 40th) I didn't think I'd manage it, but somehow I have....

I present to you Apothecary Lamoral, Guardian of the legacy.

GwzC6fj.jpg

iCbmJ6h.jpg

9VQ68m0.jpg

twfLoxS.jpg

And The Venerable Land Raider Crusader "Excalibur"

pb45Mye.jpg

mFhAgXa.gif

I wanted Excalibur to look more heavily armoured than a normal Land raider, Kind of imitating the look of the Spartan. So Tracks all the way round, Storm raven Hurricane bolters (kindly donated) and a Spartan-esque cupola.

as you can see from the gif the rear sensor is mounted on top of a push switch, so as long as the power switch is on both cannons rotate when the sensor is pushed down.

C&C welcome as usual

Archived