After Badab. Mechanicus inq28 finished

binary

I would just like to say you are an Inspiration, I made an account so i could comment here. Watching this thread has made me want to do more with my own army and get more ambitious. Truly a stunning army. As for the Knight maybe a throwback to the Badab War and have him stepping on the chassis of an Astral Claws or Mantis Dreadnought.

Glad to see you trying a knight and that you don't like the static pose as well. Try are tricky to redo but I think it is really worth it to make them stand out. As regards to what it should be standing on, can I suggest?

DTLrQ6nWkAAofxi.jpg

I would just like to say you are an Inspiration, I made an account so i could comment here. Watching this thread has made me want to do more with my own army and get more ambitious. Truly a stunning army. As for the Knight maybe a throwback to the Badab War and have him stepping on the chassis of an Astral Claws or Mantis Dreadnought.

Thanks Medevac, glad my sometimes clumsy meanderings through the 40K universe have been helpful!

Glad to see you trying a knight and that you don't like the static pose as well. Try are tricky to redo but I think it is really worth it to make them stand out. As regards to what it should be standing on, can I suggest?

DTLrQ6nWkAAofxi.jpg

Good idea thousandeyes.  you're not the first to mention dreadnoughts (and I spent an inordinate amount of time staring at the plastic contemptor I have in my bits box) but as you'll see below I found something that works....

And the repose? god I wish I'd dedicated myself to Tzeentch so I could have a third arm to hold everything while it set!

I find myself in awe of anybody who is brilliantly insane enough to add LEDs to marines. My chunky fingers can barely manage normal modelling, let alone wiring and soldering too.

Give it a go, seriously it's not as hard as you think.  The biggest fear is taking the first plunge in...when I first started this project last year it would take upwards of a week to take 1 tactical marine from sprue to finished, now I can do a whole squad in that time.

And now an update, and a revelation for the knight's theme.  

Firstly his base.  I decided in the end to go for the rhino I'd originally thought of using, and got around the "it looks too big" by going "the knights got a big chainsaw, maybe it's just chopped it in half" 

en70LF2.jpg

1Du9k6k.jpg

Added some detailing to the feet, as I thought they looked a little bare.  Just some shaped and sanded pieces of plasticard

gn7s4a4.jpg

And how the repose works with the catastrophically dented rhino.

DR8Z2HF.jpg

You can also see his main armament now....for the theme I'm going for I wanted him to have a giant flamer, and the Dominus Conflagration Cannon with the barrels lengthened fits the bill perfectly. I also installed the flickering LEDs from some battery tealights to give a flame effect.  For the secondary armament I didn't want to use the stock heavy stubber or melta gun, wanting something that looked a bit more threatening.  Cue the pintle onslaught gatling gun from the Repulsor.

eoIQ8ST.jpg

jcduMgM.jpg

Finished and painted the cockpit so that I could close it up and continue with the assembly.  Bit of a learning curve with the airbrush, but I can highly recommend Vallejo Model Air as a paint line....decided to go for a bone white interior, so that it will be visible using the screen light through the carapace hatch.  Yes that is 5 LED screens lit up.

YOmtZ45.jpg

7FL2CQc.jpg

mpPVr42.jpg

fWHHizZ.jpg

JqlTFIJ.jpg

And now....Archangel stands

e6Py6dl.jpg

4I8YSyx.jpg

Il5aiwq.jpg

K7YAEBH.jpg

Now I'm not sure whether to add a fuel tank for the flamer to the back, or just build a connection and run the hoses form the cylindrical tank beneath the reactor.

For the theme.....well the name Archangel is a bit of a clue, plus that the 2 Armigers are going to be called Cherubim and Seraphim but the biggest give away will be what I've started on the Carapace...…

0SK15us.jpg

Djm8Wd4.jpg

Yep, that's an exorcist launcher.  So...big flamer *check*, SOB iconography *check* Angelic names *check*  thinking that I'm going to paint him and the Armigers purple and white.  And thanks to Medevacs helpful suggestion the Rhino will be a burnt out Astral Claws one.

Oh and I plan to build pilots.  The Armigers will be based off the sentinel pilots with scion heads and GS cult torsos, whereas the Lady Sabine De Valdis is going to be seated on the carapace and converted from inquisitor greyfax

More to come.....

I like the wrecked Rhino on the Knight's base. Is that a three-barrel heavy flamer or flamestorm cannon?

Technically it's the Dominus Valiant's Conflagration Cannon,but if I every use it in a gam it'll count as a thermal cannon

As Archangel is a Sororitas Knight I had some rethinking over the week.  Firstly I didn't like the asymmetric look of the secondary weapon and the shield I thought "what would look more in keeping with the SOB theme?"  I found a picture online where someone had mounted the typhoon launchers on each side in place of the weapon/shield......and inspiration struck.

A Sororitas would be extoling the virtues of the emperor and encouraging the faithful so why not a speaker system so the whole battlefield can hear her?

Starting life as the Typhoon system from a Landspeeder, I removed the warheads, levelled with some milliput, and then cut some aluminium mesh for the speaker grill.  Just waiting for another shield mount to arrive, and then they'll both be mounted and wired.

9Ngl5ER.jpg

PEJjVzZ.jpg

I also wanted to add a carapace Ironstorm missile pod, but the exorcist and hatch have blocked the mounting point.  Plus with the main hatch modelled as open as I want it to be so the interior is visible it would have been impractical, if not impossible to mount the traditional launcher.  Cue another internet trawl for inspiration and this is what I came up with.

2ZGvqAs.jpg

QQ18kDM.jpg

PNykvyd.jpg

It's the front plate of the Ironstorm cut in half, and then mounted on the "shoulders" of the carapace.  The curved cowling was done to add to the "mobile gothic church" look I think the theme needs. I also glued the hatch open, and modelled 2 pitons form plastic rod and paperclips.  It always struck me as silly that some people went to the length of modelling the interior and then just had the hatch flopped open.

Here's how he looks with the carapace mounted.  It's not attached as I want to leave all the armour panel separate to make it easier to paint.

uCl6ubV.jpg

BFmp9iy.jpg

Binary

Beautiful work.

Thanks Bjorn

More progress......it's amazing how quick this is all coming together.

Firstly Archangel.  I realllly don't like the Imperial Knight shoulder pads.  They've always seemed comically wide for my tast, but I think Archangel still need them as the bare exo skeleton didn't match the beautiful curves of the other armour plates.  Since this is an SOB themed knight I thought I'd try to emulate the shoulder pads on the SOB miniatures by cutting some of the width off.

I marked the cut line with masking tape to make sure that both of them were identical.

5phVqUA.jpg

YrCMvoo.jpg

This is what the cut down pads looked like - really pleased with it so far.  you can also see the extra LED I've wired in...more of this later

C7sbBqN.jpg

The pads then needed rims to match the other edges.  I also decided to remove the arrow trim and fill the panel line to create one seamless pad

kwHjac9.jpg

9H1YmmZ.jpg

Y39sqQN.jpg

The extra LED is to light the cockpit interior.  I felt that the screens, while bright enough, didn't light the cockpit up as much as I had hoped

IBxukPU.jpg

I then added the leg cables and pistons.  The pistons fitted without any conversion work, while I replaced the length of the cables with some leftover Dragonforge cables.

Ko7je8t.jpg

fffsjNh.jpg

Painting of the exterior will start when I've received the last few bits, and built both of my Armigers.

Speaking of Armigers, I've started work on "Seraphim" my Armiger Warglaive. Seraphim will have his Thermal Lance replace with a different weapon (is that a *CHOOM* I hear?) and his Reaper Chain-glaive is being converted into a spear/lance

Basic construction first.  Thankfully the modular nature of the kit made it really easy to run the wires through.  I decided that, since I would need 2 circuits (one for head and interior, one for the weapon) to run a pair of wires up each leg.

RTEnKbl.jpg

kR2JwwY.jpg

The body was built minus the left side, as this will allow me to not only wire in the weapon, but to build and light the interior as well.  For the weapon, I really wanted to use a Volkite of some kind, and after playing around with bits I found that with very minor adjustment the Contemptor twin Culverin fits perfectly.  All I had to do was remove the mounting plugs from the arm, and file the outside surface of the volkite's elbow joint flat.  This means that I suspect any of the contemptor weapons could be use in this way.

As with my previous Volkite build, the barrels were removed, hollowed out, and 2 red LED's were installed and wired to the first circuit. 

XRBfE0F.jpg

I then did the usual blue LED's in the eyes of the head.  You'll have to excuse the burry photo, without the switches etc it's really hard to maintain the contact on both circuits and snap photos!

i6QWX7E.jpg

Also finally found what I'm going to use as helmets/faceplates for the 2 Armigers.  Lego knight helmets.  Found these as a bargain on ebay, they're the right scale, and will just need the rear removing

FKHL0OC.png

As usual, let me know what you think.

Thanks as usual guys, though I think the dinosaur heads may be more suited to my Exodite army.....

Done some more work on Seraphim, Built the lance,

PjfyDiC.jpg

opened the hatch and built the belfry

9q49HbO.jpg

8dColM7.jpg

vDuu0bi.jpg

Also finished the interior with an LED lit copy of the Rhino console (pilot is only blu-tac'd in place to check fitting as I'm waiting for parts to arrive)

iMwMaYz.jpg

D5gfeRI.jpg

Also started the build on Cherubim. Cherubim will be an Armiger Helverin carrying the House De Valdis Standard and with a burning brazier mounted on the carapace

fNSZGY4.jpg

Ke97aku.jpg

Z2dA4Qi.jpg

XKpLvKF.jpg

The Helverin autocannons have been converted from the thermal cannon, I replaced the barrel with the mini punisher barrels from the Taurox kit.  There will also be 2 ammo belts running from the gun to the ammo storage on the back.  This storage was made from the back of a Kheres assault cannon from the plastic contemptor.

The Right arm, which will be holding the standard was built using another leg from the Onager kit grafted to the normal shoulder joint.  The hand holding the banner will be from the Nemesis Dreadknight (one of the bits I'm waiting on)

The brazier I finally sourced from the Vampire counts Corpse Cart (along with the bell for Seraphim), again, it's on order so should be here in a few days, so I can then copy the flames in resin for the flickering LEDs.

This last picture is 2 of the srmour plates from the Onager's legs.  These, with about 3mm trimmed from the bottom will fit perfectly over the lower leg pistons and help to further differentiate Cherubim from Seraphim.

Y3Tl0D3.jpg

If you're putting an actual bell on the Knight's belfry, you should also kitbash some travel locks to stop the bell from swinging about when it shouldn't, i.e., prevent a swinging bell from hitting the open hatch and injuring the Knight Scion as a direct result.

Thanks Bjorn, that's the plan once I've got the bell and seen the size of it in real life

As ever you use of a varity of parts is wonderfully, really pulls things together.

Thanks Thousand, glad to see your knights are progressing too...

Bit of a big update today as I've got a bit carried away.  Luckily I managed to photo everything as I went along.

Built the hand Cherubim is using to hold the banner, just waiting for my GS tube tool to add lots of cables and doohickeys.  Thankfully the nemesis dreadknight hand is exactly the right size.  unfortunately (as you'll see in some of the later photo's) the site I ordered the hand from didn't have the finger side in stock, but it was fairly easy to make my own out of plastic rod and GS

vel7kl4.jpg

2TbKJwY.jpg

7RuCd8a.jpg

Also built both the pilots for the Armigers.

o7rCKQg.jpg

EmkuTN9.jpg

They're built using the sentinel pilot legs and arms as a base, with a torso from the GS cult hybrids and a tempestus scion head.

I also finally worked out how to mount the secondary armaments.  I envisage Seraphim as the tank hunter, so he gets the melta gun, whereas the autocannon better compliments Cherubim Helverin autocannons.

Since the upper carapace is full of decoration I decided to pair the weapons, and mount them either side of the head as defensive weaponry

GtNgIQf.jpg

tec1ETP.jpg

(the holes in the autocannon are where I swapped around the mounting point for the ammo case, and have since been filled.)

I have also finally cracked out the paints for theses bad boys, starting with the interior and pilots.  That way I can mask the interiors of both of them and Archangel off when it comes to painting the exterior.

BAFZOJ7.jpg

1OLCLGS.jpg

ba5AeqZ.jpg

The interior was airbrushed bleached bone, then highlighted will white scar.  Chips with sponged on using Rhinox Hide before a Burnt umber oil wash was applied to give shading, and act as a filter giving a dirty and dingy feel  I want the interiors to look used and lived in as theses guys are freeblades without the full backing of a household to maintain the knights.

Yt0si84.jpg

dHhZCJ2.jpg

Ijgr8bh.jpg

usTkYtk.jpg

icTy5cI.jpg

Y7n1w2n.jpg

More to follow...

You're making good progress on the Armigers. Is the one with the transplanted Nemesis Dreadknight hand a standard bearer, or will you kitbash a relic lance for him? And do the guns on the sides of the Armigers' heads elevate and traverse, so they can shoot at targets not directly in front of the Knights?

This is one of the most amazing threads I've ever come across. Really good work binary!!!

Thanks Avak. I am to please *bows*

Today’s update involves something I’ve not done much in the past. Sculpting. But you know what? I did my usual and jumped straight in feet first.

Lady Sabine De Valdis will be the scion for Archangel, but I wanted something different. Rather than have her say in the cockpit I wanted her perched on the carapace.

There isn’t much choice with female figures, and certainly none in the pose I wanted so after scouring the Inq28 logs littering the interwebz I decided that Inquisitor Greyfax would be the ideal staying model.

It was fairly straightforward to repose her. As I’m only using the body, shins and forearms all I did was attach these to a wire frame and bent her into the right pose before applying any GS.

The arms were left separate so that the sleeves were easier to sculpt.

LrskdrZ.jpg

lyK31Rz.jpg

HNwMmLx.jpg

peLlSdu.jpg

Now the head was the difficult bit, no matter what I couldn’t find the right look I wanted.

In the end I opted for the slightly heretical route.

A plastic daemonette head, with new hair and a nose sculpted. For how small it is I’m supposed at how easy it was to do, just a case of patience and layers. The only thing left on the head is to narrow the eyes, but I want everything to dry properly first.

uhUjDoZ.jpg

iDFzgX3.jpg

ImDU4oI.jpg

The only other thing is here sidearm. Greyfax’s bolter is going to be removed and I want a suitably ornate pistol to replace it but I’m stuck for ideas. Any thoughts?

Great work! For the pistol some SM kits have very decorated bolt pistols (BA Death Company, Vanguard Veterans, etc.), you could use Ad Mech pieces, or the Escher Necromunda gang has some elegant weaponry suitable for a noble lady. For the eyes you could go a completely different route; leave them as it, paint them jet black, and you can say she comes from a night world with no natural light.

Weel the search still continues for Lady Sabine's pistol (I did try a conversion of an Eldar fusion pistol but, well, it didnt look elegant enough). In the mean time my tube tool arrived, so I've been busy adding tubing and more details.

Firstly cabling for the speaker system

oUebWcw.jpg

9HZ7kfP.jpg

Then cabling on the weapon arms of Cherubim and Seraphim

7iseQrU.jpg

7tRerKT.jpg

Kjw2dDW.jpg

I then finished the right arm of cherubim holding the standard and the carapace crucible.  This came from the corpse cart, with the skulls and flames recast in resin and with the same type of flickering LED that are in Archangel's flamer.  The banner itself was cut from 1mm plasticard, then submerged in hot water and bent into a natural flowing shape.

PvB2B0Q.jpg

Kjw2dDW.jpg

ymcWMP4.jpg

2itLtLT.jpg

ZBd6s6h.jpg

For the knight's pelvic armour I wanted to add a tabard to echo the Sister of Battle look so these were made of greenstuff before being attached to the armour plate.  once dry I then mounted them to the knight chassis.  With Archangel I also wanted to replicate the rosary with the SOB icon.  Luckily there was a suitable sized icon in the Exorcist kit, and the chain was easy to make using the tube tool.

fV0FH15.jpg

fHjGVkl.jpg

Ftn4XoE.jpg

oxnQWNU.jpg

Last detailing on the carapace.  What self respecting, towering, adamantium shrine to the God-Emperor would be complete without some candles?

Y1BNvLo.jpg

Finally the current artwork design for the banner.  This will be reduced and painted on both sides (I'm going to scan and flip it then paint it flat before gluing it to the banner) It's supposed to represent the Vengeance of House De Valdis and it's close links to the Oder of the Burning Blade, along with Lady Sabine's titles.

OuTNkcV.jpg

As usual C&C appreciated 

Impressive work, overall. I think the (air? hydraulic?) hoses can be eliminated, though- having them hang out like that, just makes the Knight look vulnerable, covered in parts that scream, "Shoot here to cripple the Knight!" to any competent sniper.

Not necessarily, it could be metal hosing, or plated in some way. I see what you're saying but there's a lot of ways you could explain it away plus rule of cool, In my opinion the hoses really add some great detail to the knights.

Archived