Black Library Weekender 2017 date and tickets are up

So Black Library Weekender 2017 tickets are up for fans who visit BL Live 2016, soon to be released for everyone.

Reminder from email who was sent to visitors of BL live 2016 gives us  a preliminary general info with prices and known guests who will attend.

And the first 3 are Dan Abnett, David Guymer and Chris Dows.

'Warmaster', new GG novel has a new cover (which is way better than the previous zombie one).

The only minus is the price - 75 pounds for a ticket ($110). Add to that travel cost and hotel booking, food and money on new titles and we get a really really costly event

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/BL-weekender-2017.html?utm_source=Coming+Soon+Reminder+1&utm_campaign=d24a1b030e-BL+9th+June+BL+Weekender+2017+Early+Access&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e8e2724770-d24a1b030e-119997597

So now available to anyone who reads this....

The price is pretty decent for 2 whole days of entertainment, buying books you are going to buy anyway also shouldn't really be put against the cost of the event.

I'm really looking forward to this being back and catching up with people I haven't seen for a while and seeing some authors I owe some drinks to.

So now available to anyone who reads this....

The price is pretty decent for 2 whole days of entertainment, buying books you are going to buy anyway also shouldn't really be put against the cost of the event.

I'm really looking forward to this being back and catching up with people I haven't seen for a while and seeing some authors I owe some drinks to.

Indeed, but as I said - the issue is for the people who travel from another countries - it's like 1500-2k for 3 days

Didn't dispute there is a cost, just framing it with a touch of context.

Cheap flights can obtained, hotels can be booked at cheaper local hotels and those rooms can be shared to save more. You don't even have to eat anything at the venue as there is a shop and pub local to the venue.

Mileage will of course vary dependent on country but as someone who has travelled to the US from the Uk a number of times if you are sensible it can become manageable.

18 November, they may have pre-release of some good December releases.

Plus lots and lots of news on what is in progress for 2018.

Yeap. And a crown of a jewel with 2 weeks early released Warmaster - for us to sign by Abnett himself :wink:

After that pub, bar, author interviews (especially then they are drunk :yes:) and then a morning hangover.

What not to like (ahh 1 point - to re-open UK visa -such a pain in the ass in my country)

Didn't dispute there is a cost, just framing it with a touch of context.

Cheap flights can obtained, hotels can be booked at cheaper local hotels and those rooms can be shared to save more. You don't even have to eat anything at the venue as there is a shop and pub local to the venue.

Mileage will of course vary dependent on country but as someone who has travelled to the US from the Uk a number of times if you are sensible it can become manageable.

Where in the US do you travel from and how much does it end up costing you?

To the US, I live in England. Generally I Book early and look for decent prices and have ended up flying BRitish Airways, sometimes meaning I have had American Airline flights.

My last 2 flights were about £350 return and that was direct to Chicago.

Also fly out of the US early in the morning rather than overnight. You land in the UK about 11pm (which helps getting into time zones) and the plane has been less than half full when I have done it.

Edited by ChildofFang

Oops, read your post wrong. Out of Seattle, it's pretty rough, runs north of $1k even for connecting flights to London, way worse for Nottingham. In the hypothetical scenario where I did go, no way I'd go just for two days to a single event, it'd have to be for some kind of extended vacation.

Edited by Apothecary Vaddon

Oops, read your post wrong. Out of Seattle, it's pretty rough, runs north of $1k even for connecting flights to London, way worse for Nottingham. In the hypothetical scenario where I did go, no way I'd go just for two days to a single event, it'd have to be for some kind of extended vacation.

Well - i'm not travelling from US, but my flight take up to 5 hours, then I go from Gatwick to London, usually ask a friend for a ride to Nottingham or book a train. In case of BL Live it took $700  (flight, ticket, London). And then a 100 $ for books and $250 for hotel  and food and another $100 for a bar. Then we count travel back to London and some time in London doing sightseeing - another $200.

In days  - I usually travel for 4 days, not a vacation but missing 1 work day. Flight on Friday - flight back on Monday.

Don't know why you need extended vacation - cause Saturday and Sunday are weekand, you don'y work probably?

Ahh that's a pain, I had a quick look and people like Norwegian Airlines offer some pretty reasonable prices - it's going to be basic which is a pain (I'm 6'2/3 and broad myself).

Certainly booking trains in advance in England will save money or getting a coach up becomes a lot cheaper. I certainly would look at the hotels that are a mile or so away as being potentially a lot cheaper.

Ahh that's a pain, I had a quick look and people like Norwegian Airlines offer some pretty reasonable prices - it's going to be basic which is a pain (I'm 6'2/3 and broad myself).

Certainly booking trains in advance in England will save money or getting a coach up becomes a lot cheaper. I certainly would look at the hotels that are a mile or so away as being potentially a lot cheaper.

For example there is a standard hotel (nothing extravagant) 'Commodore' - it's not a long walk to Belfry and you could stay in single ot double for 50 GBP for a night

For example there is a standard hotel (nothing extravagant) 'Commodore' - it's not a long walk to Belfry and you could stay in single ot double for 50 GBP for a night

there are 3 hotels near. 30 to 40 minute walk

You know what, there was part of me that was thinking about going to this event this year. I did the BL Open Day last year (but mainly because A-D-B was in attendance) and it was alright, but it was at WHW so there were distractions of the various stores and Bugmans to pad out the day. 

I'm just not sure how there's going to be enough for two days of content. The BL Open Day last year was ok, but parts of the day was taken up by queueing for merchandise / books at the beginning of the day, queueing for author signings, but at the HH weekender in February the BL seminars were somewhat lacklustre. The seminars they had there fell quite flat and very quickly turned into Q&A sessions, I think the longest part they had that wasn't a Q&A was a reading from the Perturabo novel. 

I hope there's more than that there, but I think I'd rather save my money and go to the HH Weekender next year. Maybe GW will do some filming at the event do we can see some of it up on Warhammer TV.

I would say there is certainly enough content for two days, whether it's managed the right way to be satisfying is a genuine concern.

The HH Weekender is always a bit different I find, with the addition of Golden Demon you now have top level painters, gamers, lore enthusiasts and modellers/painters (a general level rather than competition) and while some people straddle different aspects there are a few who identify with only one or 2 aspects which can make the event a little disjointed.

The beauty of the BL Weekender is that while we have different settings to read from everyone is there for a love of books which means there is potential for a much more unified interest each session.

I can totally understand people sitting it out to do the one Dayers but I love the vibe hanging out in the hotel.

Also there are plenty of names to come ;)

I would say there is certainly enough content for two days, whether it's managed the right way to be satisfying is a genuine concern.

The HH Weekender is always a bit different I find, with the addition of Golden Demon you now have top level painters, gamers, lore enthusiasts and modellers/painters (a general level rather than competition) and while some people straddle different aspects there are a few who identify with only one or 2 aspects which can make the event a little disjointed.

The beauty of the BL Weekender is that while we have different settings to read from everyone is there for a love of books which means there is potential for a much more unified interest each session.

I can totally understand people sitting it out to do the one Dayers but I love the vibe hanging out in the hotel.

Also there are plenty of names to come :wink:

Second day as usual is more empty - all the important and interesting stuff usually happens on Friday Night at bar :) And on Saturday :)

hopkins

Yeap there are 3-4 as I remember. I stayed in one in 2013 (2014 was Commodore) and it was even cheaper and a 25 minutes walk. I think this year the stay for the night would be above 50 gbp for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I'm on the fence with this one. I have been to a couple of them now and they have been good and alright?

I went to the BL live day event last held and it was very mediocre for me and strangely I found out more about the event on forums than actually being there!

In regards to the weekenders I have been to two of them also;

• One time it was full of exclusives and early releases with very revealing seminars on upcoming projects and loved it :yes: 

• The time after that I found it to be very much a Q&A with every question in regards to future release's being shot down with a wait and see response :down: 

So really waiting to see further announcements that will make me pay out for the ticket and book the hotel.

Weekender page has been updated:

Justin Hill, James Swallow, Chris Wraight & Robbie MacNiven all now to appear

Robbie's: The Last Hunt will also be available.

Hope this time Chris will give us a glimpse in his next HH title. Can't wait.

If James Swallow is in attendance then we could all guess that some upcoming HH/W41K title is a definite 'in the work' from him. Same with Justin Hill.

Robbie's: The Last Hunt could be good.