Death Company, 8th Edition, and Power Mauls

SM1981

Fist and Plasma Pistol seems an option for assualt squad sgt perhaps if not on DC but I might just keep those a toothless charge screen for my DC/Chars.

Maybe not on Death Company however where Hammer looks great both from the numbers provided (thanks!) and on the model too IMO.

Very informative thread, thanks all.

There's nothing wrong with a Fist as such, I just like the consistency a Hammer offers with the fixed 3D against multi-wound targets and feel that's worth giving up a pistol for if going for that setup. They get the +1 A on the charge so focus everything into charging those Hammers in. A Fist might do the same 3D but it has the same chance of doing 1, which could be a real pain if you want to kill something on the charge before it can hit back.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I'll be running my DC Assault squads like this.

Power Sword or Axe + inferno Pistols

I know the hammers are strong but you can have every model take an inferno pistol. Sure it will increase their cost but having 5 melta shots on jump infantry should be more than enough to wreck a big nasty and if not you still have all the sword/axe attacks.

Taking the penalty to hit, losing the inferno pistol option, and the AP is a no-go for me. 

I'm not convinced that gearing DC for shooting is optimal at 44~pts for Jump Pack/Inferno Pistol/Power weapon, especially when you have options like Company Veterans for 41pts for Jump Pack/Melta Gun/Storm Shield.

Let DC lay the smackdown in close combat with hammers or power weapons to taste/target.

Aye, DC get the extra attack on the charge so that's 3 chances to hit with the Hammer. Inferno Pistol is only 1 shot each, for the same points. I'll be using the above mentioned Company Vets with Meltaguns for the shooty approach.

You bring up valid points but I see it a little differently. 

There are a few points I would like to make here:

1) They have fly. So they can disengage from blobs and then shoot at a big target then recharge. This will mean they will always have the +1 to attack

2) They have a 6+ FNP roll

3) According to the numbers shown earlier the sword's -3 AP might actually be more effective at knocking wounds off monster/vehicles than the hammer than the bonus to wound. Now this can be debatable here because rolling on a 3+ to wound and forcing the rolls on a 4+ armor save may be better in some circumstances over rolling 5+ to wound and forcing a 6+ save on the vehicles

4) The power sword + Inferno Pistol allows the units to tackle pretty much everything in the game.

Don't get me wrong I think the company vets are a solid choice as well. In fact possibly better. Though I don't know about the storm shields on the melta guns. It could be a really neat screen for the death company though.

Drop in the vets like this

..v....v....v....v....v.

(3-4 inch spacing)

...d..L..d..SP..d

......d........d.....

(2-3 inch spacing)

...d...d...d...d...d

L = Lemartes

SP = Sanguinary Priest

d = Death Company

v = Veterans

When positioned correctly you allow the storm shield vets to take charges with their 3++ and allow the dc the counter-charge. All units will have the Lemartes & Sang Priest Bubble.

Then you march up the field with Baal Preds and use scout bikers with sang priests on bikes(maybe a libby on bike too) and scout snipers to field out your starting table deployment.

Another thing that needs to be considered is the cost of all the jump packs and the mobility they provide when matched up against the cost of a drop pod.

Edited by Aothaine

Just one thing on the Swords vs Hammers... Hammers are a long way ahead of Swords vs monsters/vehicles because of 2 things:

1. Hammers wound T6/7 on a 3+, T8 on a 4+. Swords need 5+ for T6/7 and 6+ for T8. That's a difference of 2 to wound, which outweighs the -1 to hit (especially if you have a character for hit rerolls with them).

2. The biggest difference, Hammers deal a fixed 3D per wound to these targets while the Sword is limited to 1.

The basic power weapons will be very points efficient against single wound targets but as soon as you're looking at monsters/vehicles the Hammer is king.

Just one thing on the Swords vs Hammers... Hammers are a long way ahead of Swords vs monsters/vehicles because of 2 things:

1. Hammers wound T6/7 on a 3+, T8 on a 4+. Swords need 5+ for T6/7 and 6+ for T8. That's a difference of 2 to wound, which outweighs the -1 to hit (especially if you have a character for hit rerolls with them).

2. The biggest difference, Hammers deal a fixed 3D per wound to these targets while the Sword is limited to 1.

The basic power weapons will be very points efficient against single wound targets but as soon as you're looking at monsters/vehicles the Hammer is king.

Ahhhh! My bad I was confusing the Thunder Hammer and the Power Maul. My apologies everyone! 

Alright... it is indeed 'Hammer Time' 

1) They have fly. So they can disengage from blobs and then shoot at a big target then recharge. This will mean they will always have the +1 to attack

'Fly' allows you to fall back in the movement phase and still shoot, but you can't charge or advance in the same turn ('Falling Back', movement phase rules). Only units with specific datasheet rules (superheavies spring to mind) can fall back and charge. If you don't fall back, pistols can still be fired in the shooting phase within 1" of an enemy unit, but only against the closest unit.

'Fly' allows you to fall back in the movement phase and still shoot, but you can't charge or advance in the same turn ('Falling Back', movement phase rules). Only units with specific datasheet rules (superheavies spring to mind) can fall back and charge. If you don't fall back, pistols can still be fired in the shooting phase within 1" of an enemy unit, but only against the closest unit.

I really need to stop trying to post when I'm this tired. Well done sir. Thank you. ^_^

Inferno Pistols are expensive no doubt, but after playing a few games yesterday I can see where 1 would be useful. I really like how this edition forces you to play a balanced list. You need a mix of shooty and assault, and the ability to deal multiple damage for big targets and lots of dakka for hordes. I approve.

Inferno Pistols are expensive no doubt, but after playing a few games yesterday I can see where 1 would be useful. I really like how this edition forces you to play a balanced list. You need a mix of shooty and assault, and the ability to deal multiple damage for big targets and lots of dakka for hordes. I approve.

That was my thought when I was mentioning the Power Sword/Axe + Inferno Pistol option. It is expensive, but it doesn't need to be on all five DC. Also 

I'm not convinced that gearing DC for shooting is optimal at 44~pts for Jump Pack/Inferno Pistol/Power weapon, especially when you have options like Company Veterans for 41pts for Jump Pack/Melta Gun/Storm Shield.

Let DC lay the smackdown in close combat with hammers or power weapons to taste/target.

But Brother Angelus does make a valid point here. You can have your CVs drop in and shoot from 12" with their melta gun and enjoy the 3++ save from the storm shields with some DC to counter charge and clear the herds while the CVs hunt their intended targets.