I fielded a 3500pts variant of this army a few nights ago for an Extermination (Mission 6) game and it worked really well as an alpha strike list. Ideally, you need to go first – the aim is to swamp your opponent with infiltration.

Alpha Legion 3000pts – Coils of the Hydra

HQ

Armillus Dynat  - [200]  

Troops

10x Legion Tactical Marines – Bolt Pistol/Chainswords – Sergeant Power Fist - [165]

Rhino - Infiltrate – [35]

10x Legion Tactical Marines – Bolt Pistol/Chainswords – Sergeant Power Fist - [165]

Rhino - Infiltrate [35]

Rhino - Infiltrate [35]

5x Support Squad – Meltaguns - (Armillus Dynat) - [175]

Drop Pod – Deep Strike - [35]                                                                                               

Elites                                                                                                                                           

10x Cataphractii Terminators – 5x Chain Fists – 5x Power Fists – Deep Strike – 2x Reaper Auto Cannons - [430]

10x Dark Fury Assault Squad - Infiltrate [325]

3x Laser Destroyer Rapier - Infiltrate or Outflank – [165]

3x Laser Destroyer Rapier - Infiltrate or Outflank – [165]                             

Fast Attack                                                                                                                                               

Xiphon Pattern Interceptor – Chaff Launchers – [210]

Primaris Lightning Fighter- 4x Kraken- Ground Attack Auguries - [195]

Heavy Support                                              

1x Land Raider Proteus – Explorator Augury Web – Armoured Ceramite – [270]

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius – 115

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius – 115

Start turn 1 by

·        Drop pod Support Team + Armillus straight into enemy deployment to deal with heavy support.

·        Rhino’s flat out towards enemy deployment (Who cares if they die… it’s more about bringing the fight straight into their deployment - if your playing objectives you may want to do this differently).

·        Infiltrating all of your Laser Destroyer Rapiers in range of anything you wish to remove.

·        Infiltrate Dark Fury’s so they can hold middle board or start covering ground for a turn 2-3 charge.

Follow this up in turn 2 with

·        Either disrupt enemy reserves so they suffer a total of -2 to reserve rolls or give yourself the bonus using the Proteus.

·        Attempt to Deep Strike your deathstar of Terminators - (Armillus provides re-rollable Deep Strike to a single squad) by turn 3 this will eat anything…

·        Hopefully get your flyers in – (Xiphon for Anti-Air/Primaris for Anti-Lord-of-Wars).

·        Disembarking the troops if they still have their Rhino’s.

Finish up around turn 3 by

·        Declaring every charge you possibly can – Dark Fury’s, Termies, Legion Tacticals… Detaching Armillus from the support squad can be useful for separate charges.

·        Mop up with your remaining Whirlwinds, Proteus sponsons, flyers and Rapiers.

Would love any suggestions or further ideas – I originally ran Armillus inside the Proteus and he took care of any enemy drops on the back-board heavy support. I figured the Cognis bonus on the support squad + more chaos in their deployment would come in handy. If you don’t get first turn it would be a good idea to outflank the Rapiers and Dark Fury squad.

~  At 5 pts. per item I'd totally bestow Power Daggers on your 3 Tac Squad Sergeants in addition to their Fists.

~ Your enemy will sure as hell get 'Slay the Warlord' when you drop Dynat in his deployment zone with only 5 meager dudes attached.

~ The points on the Lightning are way off. Are you sure you're using the latest book ? Also, it loves Battle-Servitor-Control in addition to Tracking Auguries.

~ Explorator Augury Web on the Protues stacks nicely with CotH, but I'd try to fit a Damocles in there for non-scatter DS.

Thanks for the reply, yea man I absolutely agree with the power daggers.

I also agree with the danger of dropping Armi' straight into the enemy. I didn't do this when I played the list but thought it could have been worth the risk. In my 3500 I also had a command rhino, typhon and additional whirlwind. The 24inch no scatter was super useful.

I am using an older version of book 2 so no doubt the points are wrong.

Much appreciated!

I'd be using the Hammerstrike Assault Warlord trait which allows Armillus to give re-rollable deepstrike to one infantry unit. The way my mate and I interpret it - is that Arimillus himself can't actually deepstrike with that squad beause he doesn't have the deepstrike USR. That's why I chuck him in the drop pod.

The rapiers have the Legion Astartes rules which means they gain mutable tactics from coils of the hydra. Army wide infiltrate also confers to them which, if need be, can also be used as outflank. It's pretty cheese :whistling: .... with infiltrate I slayed a basilisk and mortis dread in turn 1 and they survived til turn 3.

I'm not overly impressed with coils these days. Think to yourself, could you get a non coils choice to fill the same role? Allowing you a less restrictive RoW that benefits your first strike tactic more?

While fun at first, I'm kinda over the gimmick of COTH, (the least said about HH leviathan the better), i know it's considered pure cheese to go with POTL and vets but i genuinely feel it is the only choice for Alpha Legion due to how they stack with mutable tactics (and staying true to the AL background).

Cornelias, I gotta disagree man. I love Coils for its ridiculous variability. Building a list around your stolen unique unit can be endless fun - going TH with mutable opens a whole new approach to Alpha legion. Although not super competitive they are great to experiment with

Dhar' i haven't heard that rule... where's it written?

Well, if you check the dedicated transport option for Legion Support squad, you'll find it can't take drop pod as a dedicated transport. Actually none of your units can. The option to take Legion Drop Pods opens only via some RoWs as far as I know (Orbital Assault, Terror Assault, Last of the Serrated Sun, Decapitation Strike, etc.).

You could however take a Fast Attack slot Dreadclaw.