Quick N' Dirty Batrep: Thousand Sons vs Tau (pics)

Prot

For the Orks I'd consider going all Helbrute Twin Las/Launcher. It'll help with popping the wagons and launchers to deal with hordes. Normally I'm down to Disco, but that matchup is probably one of the worst for 1KSons as is with how our composition is and where Psychic powers currently sit.

What about a Pred with autocannon and h bolters its 6 shots S5 AP -1. The autocannon can be decent at popping vehicles and both heavy bolters will shred ork infantry.

I think I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around a helbrute that is worth taking.

I think it will probably be targeted more than Helbrutesso I'd consider that. If you don't need to split the board for coverage Predators will always be great, Helbrutes just provide different optio s.

I do think that the Predator is also a very solid choice. It helps with the variability in shots and that autocannon gets work done and is probably one of the best weapons in our arsenal.

Couldn't you try to pile in with your goat guys so they encircle the crisis suits, or pile in to multiple units (even tanks)? Yeah his suits can fly away in his turn, but unless he wants his tank(s) and firewarriors twiddling their thumbs he has to keep them stuck in-and protecting your guys from shooting.

Couldn't you try to pile in with your goat guys so they encircle the crisis suits, or pile in to multiple units (even tanks)? Yeah his suits can fly away in his turn, but unless he wants his tank(s) and firewarriors twiddling their thumbs he has to keep them stuck in-and protecting your guys from shooting.

The tanks have the <Fly> keyword as well. Basically everythng that's not some generic infantry or is heavy suit like the Broadside or Stormsurge has the <Fly> keyword in a T'au army.

I think Forgefiends are better suited to other legions, I'm afraid. They get a lot of milage out of the reroll to hit bonus from a friendly chaos lord.

Can't you take a mark of Tzeentch lord and he be Ksons or does that preclude him from being Ksons?

@panzer oh that's right, forgot about that (regarding tanks.) But it would stop the firewarriors...though they aren't what kills your guys...

Edited by Trevak Dal

I hate to say it since it has been a staple of Chaos since its introduction, but Heldrakes maybe twin drakes. They do get +1 to hit in close combat against units with fly. You baleflamer and charge with good rolls you could potentially eat one unit a turn each. With a combined deepstrike from warptalons that protect you from overwatch for one turn.

Wow,  your luck was pretty abysmal,  and only really confirms my worst fears for my own collection...  (mono-Tzeentch Daemons + 1kSons allies)

The Psychic phase may as well just not exist under it's current form honestly.  Between Rubrics looking as toothless as ever,  and now Pinkies being probably the game's single worst unit,  it's a bad time for Tzeentch fans.

If GW would re-work the psychic phase,  or at least give some mitigation to the 'big 3' psychic armies (1kSons,  Daemons & GK's),  I might get interested to play again.

As it is though,  my own dice are so horribad,  I'll never get a cast off on the likes of Horrors,  while my full-on psykers will only ever explode themselves & my army.

Prot,

You might want to try a CSM Daemon Prince. He gives the "Reroll 1's" buff aura to all <Legion> units and is immune to targeting unless closest due to only 8 wounds.

Between him and Ahriman, you can get crazy buff synergy going. That's how you get your Forgefiends rocking.

Also note: The Designer's Commentary FAQ up on Warhammer Community says that you can indeed charge units you cannot see.....AND....because overwatch obeys all targeting restrictions, the defenders CANNOT overwatch if the charge started from a position they could not see. This is outlined specifically.

So take some Sorcerers on Disks or Chaos Spawn or something else fast (say a Rhino), then hide that unit behind a building and charge around the corner into the Tau....then go in with your other units when overwatch is neutralized.

Or....run a Rhino, Land Raider, or other big item right at them with infantry hiding behind (say Tzaangors with their Instrument bonus and maybe a command reroll), and then charge from out of LOS.

If you really want to get crazy, you could get 3 or 4 disk sorcerers behind a Land Raider or something and then charge straight over it because they have FLY and ignore intervening models.

Finally, full-Las Preds are no joke. With Prescience and buff aura from a nearby Daemon Prince, things will get DELETED.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

I hate to say it since it has been a staple of Chaos since its introduction, but Heldrakes maybe twin drakes. They do get +1 to hit in close combat against units with fly.

I do agree... I'm just really trying not to gravitate towards those generic choices, but it appears I'll probably have to go that route.

Wow,  your luck was pretty abysmal,  and only really confirms my worst fears for my own collection...  (mono-Tzeentch Daemons + 1kSons allies)

Yes it has been abysmal. Two games in a row actually I think I nearly killed more of my own stuff than with Smite. It's my luck... it's the pits. But this is why I very much enjoyed our old rules. I could mitigate it. I know it will get better, but for now... I think if I run out of Command Points, I literally have to stop using any single wound Psyker. It is just far too punishing when I fail.

Prot,

You might want to try a CSM Daemon Prince. He gives the "Reroll 1's" buff aura to all <Legion> units and is immune to targeting unless closest due to only 8 wounds.

Between him and Ahriman, you can get crazy buff synergy going. That's how you get your Forgefiends rocking.

So take some Sorcerers on Disks or Chaos Spawn or something else fast (say a Rhino), then hide that unit behind a building and charge around the corner into the Tau....then go in with your other units when overwatch is neutralized.

Or....run a Rhino, Land Raider, or other big item right at them with infantry hiding behind (say Tzaangors with their Instrument bonus and maybe a command reroll), and then charge from out of LOS.

If you really want to get crazy, you could get 3 or 4 disk sorcerers behind a Land Raider or something and then charge straight over it because they have FLY and ignore intervening models.

Finally, full-Las Preds are no joke. With Prescience and buff aura from a nearby Daemon Prince, things will get DELETED.

There's some interesting idea's there. The thing that sucks about disks is it appears you lose the Aura buffs (Infantry buffs specifically). I am assuming that's a mistake... it doesn't make sense but until then it's a hard pill to swallow, but I do definitely miss my Disk Sorcs (Haven't been using them in 8th).But that's a very solid point about flying over your own land raider, thus denying nasty overwatch. That is a very good tactic and I checked the FAQ's... it's pretty clear this is all possible.

I just have to hit harder in CC... the Tau stuff is resilient. Orks have brutal saves so it's more about just.. .wounding them in 8th, but Tau are a different animal in 8th.

I hate to say it since it has been a staple of Chaos since its introduction, but Heldrakes maybe twin drakes. They do get +1 to hit in close combat against units with fly.

I do agree... I'm just really trying not to gravitate towards those generic choices, but it appears I'll probably have to go that route.

Yes it has been abysmal. Two games in a row actually I think I nearly killed more of my own stuff than with Smite. It's my luck... it's the pits. But this is why I very much enjoyed our old rules. I could mitigate it. I know it will get better, but for now... I think if I run out of Command Points, I literally have to stop using any single wound Psyker. It is just far too punishing when I fail.

Prot,

There's some interesting idea's there. The thing that sucks about disks is it appears you lose the Aura buffs (Infantry buffs specifically). I am assuming that's a mistake... it doesn't make sense but until then it's a hard pill to swallow, but I do definitely miss my Disk Sorcs (Haven't been using them in 8th).But that's a very solid point about flying over your own land raider, thus denying nasty overwatch. That is a very good tactic and I checked the FAQ's... it's pretty clear this is all possible.

I just have to hit harder in CC... the Tau stuff is resilient. Orks have brutal saves so it's more about just.. .wounding them in 8th, but Tau are a different animal in 8th.

Also try Chaos Spawn. TSons can have them and they both hit hard and penalize enemy morale.

If you want to Smite a lot without blowing up entire units, try leaving points for Reinforcements and spending 5 Heavy Bolters worth on summoning 10 Blue Horrors to within Smite range (NOT Pinks.....Pinks are rarely very useful unless you're going for number of bodies on an objective and have the points to keep replenishing your Horrors order to contest). Then you get a cheap screen and something that can withstand Perils again and again. They also happen to get full Smite, not the weaksauce version that the Aspiring Sorcerers do. Finally, your opponent doesn't get to shoot them until after they've already done one round of Smiting....since they appear in the Psychic Phase.

There's also the idea of going with redundancy and using a Supreme Command Detachment to bring in a few Terminator Sorcerers with combi-Meltas and dropping them in with your Scarab Occult to Smite/Melta enemies to soften them up for the Scarabs. Heavy point commitment, but might work in the right list.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch