Hellrender's Space Wolves progress log

Hellrender

Tomorrow marks the end of my semester, which means building time! Altough i have some RL matters to attend to, i plan to get stuff done.

With the launch of 8th edition upcoming week, i have a renewed surge of excitement, inspiration and eagerness to play 40k. My time is limited, so i normally don't go to the local club to play, as i find that in 7th edition i spend more time looking at the rules then actually killing stuff. But that is going to change. In addition, 30k is taking off in the local area (most likely due to the inbalance of 40k), and i want to join in on the narrative fun they have. So with all that in mind, i'm going to use this thread to set up my goals, keep track of them, and hopefully, add new goals as i complete them XD.

Goals:

1) I have never really written fluff for units and or armies, but would like to attempt it with this army. 

2) I want semi compatibility with 30k and 40k. (more on that later).

3) I'm going to use Primaris Space Wolves.

So, with the goals in mind, i have some challenges.

1) Figuring out a way to represent models as accuratly as i possibly can, within my own set limits. What i mean here are pack markings, legion symbols  vs great Company symbols, 40k wargear, etc. 

I have some freedom here, as i have enough bits to create 40k marines to fill in gaps, and space wolves aren't overly strict in markings. Especially 30k Wolves have almost no guidelines in what is on their armour to denote rank, role, etc. So this is going to be fun experimentating with.

2) Integrating Primaris Marines into my 40k army. This is going to be fun! And currently i have 2 ideas.

option a:  With the fall of cadia, 2 great company's got completely destroyed. Creating a new Great Company out of the ashes with 100% Primaris Marines is a decent way of filling the gap. Now there are some issues here. if GW decides to go a different direction with the Great Company's and Primaris, or go the same direction but with completely outlined markings and names, my Great Company no longer fits with the canon lore. not sure how sad i would be about that, but has to be considered.

On the plus side, i get to create a new chapter icon, name, and Primaris Wolf Lord. I also think that fluff wise Bjorn is an excellent addition to this army, as it makes to me a lot of sense, to put the most experienced and knowledgable person with the inexperienced Primaris. Inexperienced as in: not versed in proper Vlka Fenryka lore and saga's.

option b:  Integrate the Primaris with an existing great Company. Currently i have not yet chosen a great company for my old marines yet. But considering how similar the legion icon of 30k is with the icon of Ragnar Blackmane, i'm considering that as a potential candidate. No Primaris Wolf Lord, but i get to make a Primaris Wolf Guard Battle Leader, and create my own Wolf Guard with mixed old and primaris marines. I know you can't do it on the tabletop, but that aint stopping me.

So, that are my thoughts going into my last day of the semester. I will leave this for now with a test model i painted, and hope to get a completed unit or 2 by the end of the week :smile.:

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l579/UltraWaarom/Space%20Wolves/TestModel%201_zpsg0hnjxym.jpg

Edited by Hellrender

I'm loving that colour scheme, good job. 

The issue with Primaris as I see it is (and I have no personal issue with them or the minis) that the way the Wolves work as a chapter is going to make it hard to justify integration, especially when thinking about making a new Great Company. I cannot see the Wolf Lords accepting a new Primaris Wolf Lord that has been 'shoe horned' in by Guilliman, so to speak. 

All the Wolf Lords are mighty heroes in their own right, a true Warrior Brotherhood. 

I think it's more reasonable to incorporate Primaris Marines into existing Great Companies, rather than create a new one from scratch. Then, over time, as they're assimilated into the Fenrisian culture and prove themselves worthy, I can see them rising through the ranks and eventually becoming Wolf Lords. (Though this is somewhat mitigated by the new fluff that Primaris Marines with Russ' DNA are Fenrisian Aspirants from M31)

But i don't see the reference of them being shoehorned into the chapter by Guilliman? I see it more as Grimnar taking them in with open hands to replenish wolf numbers after Cadia and Wrath of Magnus. These Primaris are by this point, veterans of a 100 year crusade, bonded together with a century of warfare. Granted they have been fighting as part of Guillimans structure, and as long we have no fluff on it, there is no way of knowing how Intercessors and hellblasters will be designated in the Chapter... regardless of how they are assimilated in great company's. All they need to learn is the history of the chapter, as the fenrisian culture is already there, as they are fenrisian aspirants :)

That said, i'm leaning towards integrating them with the Blackmanes. I mean, fighting under Ragnar is about the quickest way to learning how to fight like a Space Wolf :p

But i don't see the reference of them being shoehorned into the chapter by Guilliman? I see it more as Grimnar taking them in with open hands to replenish wolf numbers after Cadia and Wrath of Magnus. These Primaris are by this point, veterans of a 100 year crusade, bonded together with a century of warfare. Granted they have been fighting as part of Guillimans structure, and as long we have no fluff on it, there is no way of knowing how Intercessors and hellblasters will be designated in the Chapter... regardless of how they are assimilated in great company's. All they need to learn is the history of the chapter, as the fenrisian culture is already there, as they are fenrisian aspirants :smile.:

That said, i'm leaning towards integrating them with the Blackmanes. I mean, fighting under Ragnar is about the quickest way to learning how to fight like a Space Wolf :tongue.:

Oh, for sure. We don't know anything yet, and my comments above are only really assumptions. 

My plan is to do Primaris as the Wolfspear, depending on what colour scheme they have. 

Well that sucks. Got a knot in my back muscle and can't really move much atm. So that throws painting out of the window the first day off :(

Instead i have been doing some research in how to designate my Primaris. An interestng idea i read earlier this month was about them being called Jotunn. The frost giants from nordic Myth. Altough i liked the idea, i'm not sure. Part of the space wolf heritage comes from the canis helix, which is apparantly, canine in origin. Frost Giants are anything but. Especially with current 40k fluff, where the space wolves are heavily leaning on the wolf theme, these idea does not fit.

But i still like it, and i am still toying with it :P The 30k fluff on the other hand leans  alot more on the nordic influences on the 6th legion and Fenrisian Culture. As such the designation could simply come from the Fenrisian Culture, rather than reference to the Canis Helix, as pretty much anything else. This thought also made me think of a slightly blueish skin tone :P 

So had a day of building and painting. Added shading to my 7 grey hunters. I hope to get pics of them up by next week.

i also spend time on building a Wolf Lord. Ragnar Blackmane himself. Decided to build my own rather than use that out of date model that is on GW's website.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l579/UltraWaarom/Space%20Wolves/20170616_204343-1_zpsgxyc6eaz.jpg

Semi-Finished my first unit of Veteran Tacticals/Grey Hunters. I still need 2 plasma gunners, 1 plasma pistol/wolf Standard and a sergeant to make the squad complete. In 30k, the plasma gunners and plasma pistol dudes can technically be in the squad, but i dont want to, so need to make some extra models to make the unit more adaptable to 30k/40k.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l579/UltraWaarom/Space%20Wolves/grey%20Hunter%201_zpsvakmubpp.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l579/UltraWaarom/Space%20Wolves/20170619_135539-1_zpsmgsab97t.jpg

No idea whats up next. I have another squad like this to ready for paint, but also 2 dreadnoughts :)

Building wise i'm building Primaris, Wulfen, Grey Slayers, Speakers of the Dead and a Caster of Runes... So plenty to do still.

Some unforseen things kept me busy the last todays, but i found time to build this today:

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l579/UltraWaarom/Space%20Wolves/20170621_135323-1_zpsvwmeq9rm.jpg

He is going to be for my 30k legion command squad, bodyguard for Hvarl. might do some greenstuff on him later.

Thanks!

I have been busy until the spring in my airbrush somehow disappeared.. (I blame Thousand Sons)..

I have now  have a whole ton of stuff ready for paint. Had it all primed too.. Now half has a mechanicus Standard grey basecoat, and the other half not.. Stupid spring. Ordered a new spring and hope to receive it soon and fits :P If it does i can continue. Until then i have to focus on moving to a new appartment, so everything is packed. Once things are calmed down i hope to get going with basecoats. Going for assembly line on everything i think (17 terminators, 7 Long fangs, 15 grey hunters, 10 Primaris, 4 HQ, Bjorn, 2 dreadnoughts and a rhino).

Once that is done i got more stuff to build and paint :P

In the mean time i have been thinking about how the primaris can fit into my Great Company of Ragnar Blackmane.

We know that the Primaris have been fighting during the Indomitus Crusade under Guilliman, and that they were boys when 'claimed' by Cawl back during the Great Crusade. In all likelihood they have never met or even seen Leman Russ, just heard of him. He is most likely no more than a myth.

They have been fighting directly under a Primarch (even one such as Guilliman is awe inspiring to a Marine). And now they have to choose between following the doctrine of a Primarch they know, trust and risked their lives for.. Or for the doctrine and culture of the Space Wolves, currently led by an old marine, of which they have only heard by name (and most likely, not in the best way). 

This must be a tough decision. Even though they recognise the culture from when they were boys, they have been long enough under Guillimans rule to have gotten used to that too. 

So this is going to be my starting point. Most of the Primaris joining the Blackmanes will be veterans from the Indomitus Crusade. They are  indoctrinated in the ways of Guilliman. And it shows in their ornamentations. Only time will tell if they will accept the Wolves of Fenris. 

Or if the wolves, accept them.

• 6 months later...

Long time no see. Been busy, and i see that Photobucket purged my stuff. So i'm going to try and upload to the B&C gallery.

I now have ready 2500 points in an Illegal HH format, using Pride of the Legion.. Working on Grey Slayers atm, but still patiently waiting for the FW upgrade kits. I also have some Primaris and Wulfen in the works :smile.: The Veteran Troops can also be reconfigured in 2-3 squads of Grey Hunters, and the Rhino into a Razorback. Just have to paint all the weapon additional weapon optionas for the Rback, Land Raider and dreadnoughts still.

Hope you like :smile.:

Njot the Watcher, Wolf Priest / Speaker of the Dead

gallery_57452_13453_256415.png

Brynjard, Son of Ymir

gallery_57452_13453_74418.png

Hvarl Redblade

gallery_57452_13453_82405.png

Land Raider

gallery_57452_13453_440741.png

Mortis Contemptor

gallery_57452_13453_243845.png

Mortis Castafarrum