• 2 weeks later...

Waiting on some gap filler and more stowage to arrive for the tanks. Soon to be added to the 42nd;

Three Sicarans. (Various stages of assembly) 3 predators (1 fully built, 2 need to be ordered). A LoW that's treaded (that's all you're getting for now ;))

and a humble rhino. While waiting for the various bits and such to arrive, i'm working on banging out more tacticals.
VkvkdPe.jpg
TzU2lCx.jpg
K50T4TU.jpg
9cdBWe1.jpg

The Marines are well-painted. The flayed skin covering the chainsword wielder's left pauldron is a good touch, but why would he cover up the Night Lords Legion symbol? Is he ashamed of what the Legion became after its Primarch died?

This is still GC/HH era, so he's not ashamed of much... to be honest, I just am aware that the FW Night Lord sheet is a little sparse sometimes for the iconography. I'll use these as a ways to "save" that icon for a later character. Fluff wise... I guess he just slapped it on in the moment?

So I recently got in contact with a fellow to make an artistic representation of a personal character (Ger'zass) with some likeliness stolen from me. He asked for a model reference, and though I gave him the following; i prefaced it with "No! There's not enough parts, I'm still building and converting it! It's un-painted!". He told me to not worry, and to describe how I envisioned the piece. I gave him only a few pointers, and said "go nuts with everything else".

1dl2tD8.jpg?1

and so he did. The final result was...

fl6c86b.jpg?1

Spectacular. Amazing. Here I envision is Ger'zass as he was in the early decades of the great Crusade, poking out of his Lupercal-pattern Super-heavy tank (Macharius), when he was just a tank-commander and not over-all Talonmaster of the company.

4r1Cm7i.jpg?1

Yikes.

iwjnRoF.jpg?1

The man works fast, and he's amazingly responsive to feedback. Me and him are in talks of another piece down the line. I am immensely pleased and would highly recommend you go see them in their proper HD resolutions over on his artstation, where he also shows a time-lapse of the illustration.  

Till later. 

• 4 weeks later...

Generic bonesaws, errr apothecary is working along. As mentioned elsewhere, I've started too many projects and feel really stretched thin. Need to wrap some stuff up soon...

Please pass on my compliments to the artist. So your Night Lords have superheavy tanks- Baneblades, Fellblades, and/or the Mastodons mentioned in Ger'zass' bio?

Yes sir, an armored company would have all that and more. I'm basing this loosely off U.S and German W.W2 tank companies/battalions. A battalion would have several companies, organized into several sections of light/medium tanks, with occasional heavier support, a maintenance, and administration sections.

I'm still meaning to do a chart of what was available to the 42nd.

EbxDnXB.jpg?1

The Apothecary will really stand out with his white plate and coloured vials. Big fan of the Dark Eldar blade too, makes him more unique. Perhaps it's a reminder of a particularly hard fought campaign, or simply a piece that caught the eye?

Big fan of the Dark Eldar blade too, makes him more unique. Perhaps it's a reminder of a particularly hard fought campaign, or simply a piece that caught the eye?

Best claim the Apothecary fought and killed the blade's previous owner- maybe a raider who underestimated the strength, skills, and willpower of the Night Lord, and ambushed him in a foolish attempt to capture an Astartes as a "plaything" to use and abuse for foul xeno's pleasure- to make him badass.

Some more armor being worked on for the 42nd. Working towards a land raider squadron. 

sgX5k4x.jpg?1aEuixBd.jpg?1
8pYacjy.jpg?1

The goal was a healthy balance between grounded in reality/realism and also retain that lovely 'warhammer' vibe.

13XdSuf.jpg?1

The Apothecary will really stand out with his white plate and coloured vials. Big fan of the Dark Eldar blade too, makes him more unique. Perhaps it's a reminder of a particularly hard fought campaign, or simply a piece that caught the eye?

Something like that. I just thought it looked particularly wicked, not that he necessarily nicked it off a dark eldar.

Big fan of the Dark Eldar blade too, makes him more unique. Perhaps it's a reminder of a particularly hard fought campaign, or simply a piece that caught the eye?

Best claim the Apothecary fought and killed the blade's previous owner- maybe a raider who underestimated the strength, skills, and willpower of the Night Lord, and ambushed him in a foolish attempt to capture an Astartes as a "plaything" to use and abuse for foul xeno's pleasure- to make him badass.

...though if we're going with that story, I like to think that indeed, a particular druchii thought it would be delicious to take said character, especially considering the vital cargo he carries - geneseed.

I want to preface this post by saying I'd generally consider myself quite a squeamish person. I don't like horror at all, mindless gore has never appealed to me, and I especially don't like medical gore. HOWEVER, something about it in the context of 40k and warhammer makes me feel completely okay with it. Anyway, rambling on. I did this;

w4CqCbG.jpg?1

Just the Salamander;

vuaPrwj.jpg?1

and from above a bit more;

2JXpDx1.jpg

I applied the blood effect through an airbrush, and i'm still learning the applications of it through said medium, but it provides this wet looking mist that's just phenomenal for glazing it on. 

Also, I'm doing as much of the model as I can before I get to the disaster areas. The sponsons. Immaterium take me, but I goddamn hate doing those coils for the lascannons. 

"I want to preface this post by saying I'd generally consider myself quite a squeamish person. I don't like horror at all, mindless gore has never appealed to me, and I especially don't like medical gore."

Army: Night Lords

You uh.... Kiiiiiind of picked the wrong army there mate if you don't like gore :lol:

In any case, the Salamander looks really good. How'd you make him?

I want to preface this post by saying I'd generally consider myself quite a squeamish person. I don't like horror at all, mindless gore has never appealed to me, and I especially don't like medical gore. HOWEVER, something about it in the context of 40k and warhammer makes me feel completely okay with it. Anyway, rambling on. I did this;

w4CqCbG.jpg?1

Just the Salamander;

vuaPrwj.jpg?1

and from above a bit more;

2JXpDx1.jpg

I applied the blood effect through an airbrush, and i'm still learning the applications of it through said medium, but it provides this wet looking mist that's just phenomenal for glazing it on. 

Also, I'm doing as much of the model as I can before I get to the disaster areas. The sponsons. Immaterium take me, but I goddamn hate doing those coils for the lascannons. 

I have to say, this is GLORIOUS.

But I actually DO like gore.

"I want to preface this post by saying I'd generally consider myself quite a squeamish person. I don't like horror at all, mindless gore has never appealed to me, and I especially don't like medical gore."

Army: Night Lords

You uh.... Kiiiiiind of picked the wrong army there mate if you don't like gore :laugh.:

In any case, the Salamander looks really good. How'd you make him?

Ah, yeah I did, didn't I? 

Awhile back, while mocking up ideas on how I'd eventually get around to making a mastodon super heavy (YES!), I thought "there's a lot of flat space, how do I use it with flavor?", so the idea came to me. Also, our beloved frater Brother Heinrich with his 15th company all those years ago was a huge inspiration with his rhino mounted crucified and flayed marine. So I promptly drew a really quick sketch of some concepts, and asked on some of the 30k facebook pages. The post itself was taken down, but not before I had a few folks reach out to me. They put it together in model form, printed it for me and sent it my way. A LOT of them. The quality of them also lead me to buying my own 3D printer, but I digress :rolleyes:, that's off topic

I have a few variations on the marine, as well as another variant on the  "pinned" astartes theme. I'll use them when possible, but not to overdue it. I've got a spartan i'm working on, and I'm really tempted to throw one on there, but I feel two tanks that feature it might be a bit much, even if I used the alternative pinned take.

I have to say, this is GLORIOUS.

But I actually DO like gore.

Thank you! Stay tuned for more insanity. ;)

Many times an impaled marine torso falls short of its intended affect; BUT you NAILED it !!!! ( pun intended).

Seriously, the way he is impaled to the land raider and the blood affect all add up to some serious gory realistic 40k imagery. honestly I would not change a thing. It’s perfect!

Edited by Yosef Hausakluif