I've done a bit more work on the fleet orbat. As the Legion stuff is now done, I'm just working with positioning, as I add more auxiliary forces. I wanted to add in a tiny portion of Mechanicum forces too, some Titan coffin ships and the like. I'm thinking of splitting up the Legion forces and sandwiching the squishy mortal regiments in the middle, buuuut it's also on brand for the 8th to have them be at the front. Thoughts? 

y8P4D76.jpg

Wow. Binged through your thread.

I'm impressed at the progress your painting has made. The realism level has increased increadibly.

Also very good and subtle green stuff work.

Where did your predator end up in the painting contest?

Wow. Binged through your thread.

I'm impressed at the progress your painting has made. The realism level has increased increadibly.

Also very good and subtle green stuff work.

Where did your predator end up in the painting contest?

Many thanks. I really appreciate you going through the whole thread, thanks so much. The predator didn't place anywhere though. 

First place submission was this;

BoWBbTW.jpg?1

NbmQSHQ.jpg

Chaos and imperial cruisers are 7km

Source? Every wiki I've seen lists them as 5km. 

Yo, I really dig these Strategic Disposition charts. They're incredibly awesome. I'd love to make a couple of these myself for when I get around to working full-time on my 30k Word Bearers. 

Thank you so much! I'm enjoying making them, trying to get a few more done for people as commissions as well. Let me know if you want one done for Word Bearers, i've got some nifty ideas on what I'd do with that already... 

Yo, I really dig these Strategic Disposition charts. They're incredibly awesome. I'd love to make a couple of these myself for when I get around to working full-time on my 30k Word Bearers. 

Thank you so much! I'm enjoying making them, trying to get a few more done for people as commissions as well. Let me know if you want one done for Word Bearers, i've got some nifty ideas on what I'd do with that already... 

Oh? I may just take you up on that offer, friend. I've been quietly mulling over what a proper War Disposition of a Void-Action Specialize Chapter of the Word Bearers would look like. 

+ + + LOG INITIATION + + +
• subject: Perdition, 8th Legion, armored contingents, culture, subsequent censure•
The various crewmen, tankers, and artillerymen of the 42nd, unable to conduct warfare like much of the rest of their kin, still had the desire to enact terror and sow fear like their gene-sire, Lord Curze. This evolved into armor modification that was outwardly ghastly in its decoration. Embroidery and embossing were commonplace, as were paintings to resemble the various monsters, specters of death, and otherwise ghoulish folklore across the myriad worlds of humanity. These became more elaborate as the crusade went on. One such example, a decorated Terran commander of a Sicaran Punisher assault tank, whose helm featured several human finger bones to resemble a grave-marker hidden behind curtains. The helm was sent off to Terra by dissidents of the 8th, who scavenged it after the tank was destroyed in a battle. The “curtains” were discovered to be made of many different hairs, hue matched to grisly perfection. Some chroniclers would point this out to be one of many points of damnation that would demand the censure of the Legion.
+ + + LOG TERMINATION + + +

8zgmq1X.jpg

...and now I have to go back and redo some of my exposed tank crew. ;)

The various crewmen, tankers, and artillerymen of the 42nd, unable to conduct warfare like much of the rest of their kin, still had the desire to enact terror and sow fear like their gene-sire, Lord Curze. This evolved into armor modification that was outwardly ghastly in its decoration. Embroidery and embossing were commonplace, as were paintings to resemble the various monsters, specters of death, and otherwise ghoulish folklore across the myriad worlds of humanity. These became more elaborate as the crusade went on. One such example, a decorated Terran commander of a Sicaran Punisher assault tank, whose helm featured several human finger bones to resemble a grave-marker hidden behind curtains. The helm was sent off to Terra by dissidents of the 8th, who scavenged it after the tank was destroyed in a battle. The “curtains” were discovered to be made of many different hairs, hue matched to grisly perfection. Some chroniclers would point this out to be one of many points of damnation that would demand the censure of the Legion.

I appreciate the details you wrote, to give the Night Haunter's sons of personality. (I'm still very salty about the EPIC FAILure at worldbuilding that's common to 2016 and later comics, young adult novels, TV shows, movies, video games, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

The design had been found in several systems on a myriad amount of worlds. As the Crusade reclaimed more and more lost-colonies for the Imperium of Man, like orphaned children bonding and coming to share their joys and playthings with one another, the worlds offered up ancient technologies. The designs were divergent in some cases, some were built with different materials, others yet had more optimistic modifications added upon the frame, or blue-print. To the eyes of the Mechanicum it was obvious; this was an STC sourced Lord of war, replicated by humankind across the stars to wage its war. Even the least visually comparable variants that had been found, like distant cousins - it was the same vehicle through and through. 

True to their (Mechanicum and Martian bureaucracy) nature, there was an attempt to standardize it in some capacity. One couldn’t stamp a blue-print for a weapon without some form of name, and those who wielded weapons often developed their own monikers despite what the manufacturers may have intended. Such was the way, several dozen divergent hulls, a million different names. It wasn’t until it had come to pass that Horus Lupercal, the great Primarch, had been pronounced by the Emperor as the Warmaster that the military branches of the nascent Imperium had opted to honor him in their own way.

The Lupercal. A mighty war-machine, a mighty demi-god. Son of the Emperor. It was poetic and fitting.
za23zf9.jpg?1
tUH0j4D.jpg?1
f9RGitq.jpg?1O73keS8.jpg?1
I finished the tank. Only took me four bloody months. I STILL want to go back and work on it, but the backlog will never get worked on if I stick to the same model... Let me know what you all think.

That's some really solid work on the Sicaran, the use of weathering powders is spot on! Perhaps he's a recent addition, but I would say that the Dark Angels' helm looks a little clean and bright in comparison to the tank.

• 3 weeks later...

"Men really need sea-monsters in their personal oceans. An ocean without its unnamed monsters would be like a completely dreamless sleep."

iDmLyrZ.jpg?1

Ahoy, look what the tides brought in... sneak peak at not-quite-but-a-lil'-something i'm working on...