8th Edition and the Crusader Squad

Alright, just to make it available at a glance:

Change the first sentence of this ability to read:
‘If you roll a hit roll of 6+in the Fight phase for a model
in a friendly Black Templars unit that is within 6" of
Chaplain Grimaldus, that model can immediately make
another close combat attack using the same weapon.’ 

...actually, I think I was wrong.  It does seem to mean Unit within 6".  It really comes down to which noun the bold that is attached to.  It seems to be attached to the word 'unit,' rather than 'model.'  Otherwise it would likely be worded like Helbrecht's Crusade of Wrath rule.  It's a fix of the previous wording, which said if you roll a 6+ to hit for a friendly Black Templars unit, that model can make another attack.  Units don't make attacks, models do. 

Alright, just to make it available at a glance:

Change the first sentence of this ability to read:

‘If you roll a hit roll of 6+in the Fight phase for a model

in a friendly Black Templars unit that is within 6" of

Chaplain Grimaldus, that model can immediately make

another close combat attack using the same weapon.’

...actually, I think I was wrong. It does seem to mean Unit within 6". It really comes down to which noun the bold that is attached to. It seems to be attached to the word 'unit,' rather than 'model.' Otherwise it would likely be worded like Helbrecht's Crusade of Wrath rule. It's a fix of the previous wording, which said if you roll a 6+ to hit for a friendly Black Templars unit, that model can make another attack. Units don't make attacks, models do.

I agree 100% with your interpretation. If it isn't what they meant then they mucked up the faq. If they meant only models within 6" they wouldn't have mentioned the unit at all, at least not that way. Just my opinion tho.

What about running 2 LRC. In the first, you have x3 5 man crusader squads, kitted out to your liking with an HQ of choice (apothecary, EC, Chap, Halbrecht) Then in the other you run x2 6 man squads with 3-4 other HQ choices of your liking.

Comes out to roughly 1400 points... You then have 600pts to play around with.

Depending on what you kit them out with you might lack some anti-tank. In which case, get some assault termies, VV or some Lascannons.

How did you run your squads? Separate shooting/combat or mixed up?

I basically used what I had painted, so one game had a 15 man mixed squad of missile/plasma/bolters/chainswords - they were a clumsy, if ultimately effective unit in such a small game.

I ran a small 5 man unit with power weapons and a flamer, which did great combined with the EC and their assault cannon razorback. With a little support from the dreadnought, they stomped a big wolfguard terminator squad and warlord.

A larger optimised CC squad rolled straight through a unit of grey hunters too. The little 5-man shooty unit consistently wiffed their shooting, and actually secured more kills by charging into CC...

Take from that what you will!

• 4 months later...

Digging up a old topic, but I'd rather post here than make a new thread... Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I noticed in C:SM that the ratio of Initiates to Neophytes is no longer present. This means I can run 1 SB, 4 Initiates and 5 Neophytes? Or was this FAQ'd?

But that kind of makes my fluffnerves cringe a bit. A Neophyte always fights next to an Initiate, right?

So... should I make the squad 1SB, 4 Initiates and 4 Neophytes, leaving room for a HQ to tag along in the Rhino/Drop pod? What do you guys think?

I have a additional 5 man Crusaders Squad and a 5 man Company Veterans Squad, maybe run 9 man CQ + 5 man CQ/CV + Chaplain + EC in a LRC?

You could do 10 Neo’s and 5 Inits if you desired. Or some variation thereof. We are no longer constrained Neophyte wise by number of Initaite. That said you should still maintain and near equal ratio.

So I've been tinkering with my army post-approved and made a couple changes and moved some points and units around. Beside thinking the unthinkable and dropping a Crusader Squad (1 Crusader Tide and 3 Intercessor vs 2 Tide Crusaders and 2 Intercessors), I've been playing around with my special weapons. Saving 8 points, I decided to take Gravguns over Meltaguns. I rarely if ever get in magic range for meta, and find myself close to enough to get the double shots from the gravguns.

Plasma for better or worse, I don't want on SB especially because I don't want them overcharging murdering themselves even with rerolls. Those who used Grav as anti-tank how have they worked for you? It feels they are good vs heavy infantry in addition.

8 Shots with Marshall/Castallen is 6 hits. Then 2 wounds. Rerolls give you 2.33 wounds ish. Or 1.92 wounds. Or 3.8 damage. Vs 4 Melta to 3 Hit. 2 wound. Then rerolls. 2.33. Or 8.05 damage. Atleast that is the math is telling me. Unless my math is wrong it’ll be functionally 4 v 8 Damage per a round. So basically per mathhammer the difference is 1 damage per 2 Points.

Mathhammer only gets one so far. Between my other damage sources (5 IG Lascannons and 17 Plasma Guns) I found myself able to reliably kill 1 tank and disable a second. (MathHammer comes out to 20 Damage if anyone is curious). With Meltaguns often on clean duty vs already weakened Rhinos.

But here where gameplay experience matters. I haven’t played enough with Grav on the tabletop in general. While I know the Mathhammer behind certain aspects of the Grav. I don’t know how said Math translates into the game. For those who played with Grav how often have you found them wanting?

• 3 months later...

I think one buff to our assault worth noting is that we hit MEQ on a 3+ instead if  4+ now. We'll also retain the same number of attacks in later rounds of fighting, if not in the first round. Our problems, currently, are the same ones that all other marines are dealing with. We're just incomplete right now.

sorry what?can you explain that for me? who is hitting on 3+?? crusaders? with what buff...

I think one buff to our assault worth noting is that we hit MEQ on a 3+ instead if  4+ now. We'll also retain the same number of attacks in later rounds of fighting, if not in the first round. Our problems, currently, are the same ones that all other marines are dealing with. We're just incomplete right now.

sorry what?can you explain that for me? who is hitting on 3+?? crusaders? with what buff...

In 7th(and prior) edition(s) Marines had a WS of 4, and you compared your WS to your opponent's. So Marines hit anything that was WS 4 through 8 on a 4+.   8th did away with that chart and just put the to hit roll in your character stat line giving all marines a buff to 3+

• 1 month later...

In last tournament I played against Chaos armies. They always look like Abaddon + dozens of cultist and a few daemon princes + Obliterators. I think we have to talk about them again. With the relic banner we dont have a problem with moral and in close combat we should overwhelm cultists with our Black Tide and it should be possible to get a few units who have the abilites to kill some Oblis. Our characters - the EC, Helbrecht and a Castallan should be enough to kill one or another prince.

Medj what’s the statement your making here? Also this reminds me of one best parts of a Crusader Squad, I’d often forgotten to mention; the delivery mechanism. But yeah, in seriousness, Crusaders tie up chaff, and your characters take the gold. Is a common usage of our boys. Being functionally the method of delivery for characters similar to Boys and Nobz.

Archived