Lienna's Project log:- Order of the Repentant Heart

Lienna

I've managed to find a bit of hobby time over the last few days, still putting off those orks!

This time I've started on the terrain in SWA, and wow... I knew it was going to be big, but the scale surprised me. I didn't expect something this large and this high detail, if you wanted you could spend ages painting every last pipe and wire! We've come a long way from those little cardboard ruins that came in the 2nd edition box, I remember being impressed when those got upgraded to plastic in 3rd edition!

Anyway I've managed to basecoat and ink most of the yellow, basecoat the large areas of silver and ink some of the silver. Still a long way to go, lots of touch-ups and details to paint, but I can really feel the piece coming together. I honestly can't get over the size of it, it feels like I'm making an oversized forgeworld model rather than something that came in the base game box! I've never painted anything this big, so naturally choosing yellow was a risky choice, but it seems to be coming out ok so far.

44wYPkv.jpg

Sister and Ruins for scale, did I mention that this thing is big? and it's only one building!

• 2 weeks later...

I have still been painting away this month, unfortunately I've been mostly painting board game pieces for a friend, so not much shadow war progress. Today I managed to "finish" the first building in the set, although there is so much that could be done, at some point you just have to decide not to spend forever on a block of terrain.

yi4eFK7.jpg

pE0Ep7J.jpg

Finally let's throw some minis on there, I can really see the game coming together!

wAHj2uz.jpg

Thanks for looking, still putting off painting those last 3 orks!

Very nice work on your Scouts, Orks, Sisters, and terrain (did I leave anything out?):thumbsup: There's real diversity in your work and I look forward to seeing more. Keep it up:yes:

Diversity in my work is the kindest way to put that, I usually think that I just can't concentrate on one project at once!

Currently on my painting table is: 1 half painted ork with shoota, 2 undercoated orks with sluggas and choppas, 2 airships from the latest Scythe expansion that I'm painting for a friend (3 more are waiting to be undercoated, 2 are done), 1 mini from Gloomhaven (a warhammer quest style game) which is basecoated and going through shading/highlighting, and a second Gloomhaven model that has been undercoated and given 1 coat of grey for it's fur... Oh and a sister with a melta gun, because I only have 1/3 of the holy trinity painted so far and that needs to change.

Once I finish Shadow War I have Space Hulk, Dark Souls the board game and a couple of minis from the Ghost Stories board game expansion to move on to, and that's without me being tempted to buy more sisters since I love the models so much! I may have a slight painting queue problem!

First model painted in Febuary is now complete! my battle sister with meltagun is ready to join her sister in purging the enemies of the Emperor

That being said taking photos of her has made me notice issues which don't seem so obvious in real life, I do need to have another go at that left eyeball, and I'm not sure I'm happy with the black hair quite yet! I've gone for a slightly darker gold this time, which I think I prefer, I'm very happy with the heat effect on the meltagun, as much as I tried this on the kombi-skorcha of the ork nob, I definitely think practice on that model paid off on this one.

VblrwsS.jpg

I swear doing the marble effect means that each of these girls takes twice as long to paint, but it's so ridiculously indulgent that it feels just the right show of wealth and power for the ministorum.

mzTFW5Z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been stuck painting up non Warhammer things over the last few weeks, I'm slowly coming to the end of those thankfully, so I'll be sure to paint the remaining orks soon! Or, most likely, get distracted by something else... again!

I have had some modeling time though, so now at least all the terrain for SWA is completely constructed. I've also built a SoB Rhino/Immolator, these are lovely models, the amount of extra bits that they provide really take the utilitarian base design and make it into a roaming church. I still need to green stuff up some of the gaps before looking to paint it.

92dFz6v.jpg

Oh and I've finished another ork! 2 left! This one I tried using a sponge to apply rusting, I think I prefer this method, it's quicker and looks better.

PMq6pnZ.jpg

Finally a close up of the rhino. You can simply swap out the immolator/rhino turret on this model which is a really nice bonus, the onlly issue is they both technically use the clear bubble canopy. I still need to finish the greenstuff on the left side of the tank and I've not made the immolator turret yet as it has too many little crevices and I'll need to paint it before construction. As a side note I made way too much green stuff when I had my first go at this, so I've got 2 more bases made up for my sister kill team!

c0Amm1I.jpg

Thanks for checking in everyone, hope your projects are going well! I'll be back soon with some actual painting!

Edited by Lienna

• 7 months later...

Long time no update, my "paint more" policy for the year made it 2 months. Not hugely impressed with myself!

I have now finally finished the Ork kill team, with the last 2 boys below. Terrain is still a big job waiting to be done, but ignoring that SWA is fully painted! Space Hulk has not been touched at all for those keeping track!

MXW4fJw.jpg

So that gives us the full kill team of 9 orks, but I wasn't just doing Orks and Blood Angels. The thing that dragged me back into painting this last week has been a desire to get my Sisters painted. I've got 2 on the go at the moment, they still need faces, leather and marbling on their armour, but I'm reasonably happy that I haven't completely lost my touch in the last 6 months!

YzR5pmb.jpg

I'm considering this post a renewal of my commitment to get painting again, my current aim is to have all my sisters (that's 3 girls with bolters, 1 with melta gun, 1 with H.flamer, 1 cannoness and 1 immolator) done by the end of the year. Of all of that the one key thing is I have *no* idea how to paint a tank anymore!

Side note I was considering painting the cannoness (and in extension any sister superior etc) in black marble rather than white marble, any thoughts on if this would look good or make them look like they were from a different order?

Holy Crap, aside from the marble effect that is exactly the same scheme I used when I did my Sisters oh-so-many years ago. Aren't white and purple just great togther? Really nice work

Don't suppose you have any pictures, particularly of rhinos etc? Trying to decide which bits should be which colour, plus I always like looking at painted Sob!

Holy Crap, aside from the marble effect that is exactly the same scheme I used when I did my Sisters oh-so-many years ago. Aren't white and purple just great togther? Really nice work

Don't suppose you have any pictures, particularly of rhinos etc? Trying to decide which bits should be which colour, plus I always like looking at painted Sob!

No pictures I'm afraid, Lienna. I did that amy when the first Witch Hunters codex came out, so its been a while (still the same models tho, heh). There MAY be one pic of the Canoness floating around in the HQ Showcase thread but it'd take a bit of digging. For the Rhinos and Immolators I went with prodominatly white armour with the inset sections on the sides near the front and back in purple. Not so much fun painting white tanks but it was pretty effective

Congrats on returning to your project. It may be a small thing, but I really like that last Ork's slugga. Two bayonets and a "scope" is reminiscent of Borderlands.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

I feel like Mork and Gork would be forgotten if only Orks met Mr Torgue!

So I've finished the next two sisters and I'm fairly happy, personal proud moments are the faces, not perfect by any means but I think a new standard for myself, and the text on the tiny purity seals hidden under the right sister's holster.

Xx9H3sH.jpg

That brings me to 4 painted sisters, it's lovely to see a squad come together like this, I'm sure most people paint a whole squad at once, but I get to see it come together mini by mini! I'm undecided on whether to add dirt and battle damage or if I should just leave them pure and clean at the moment.

9a1pvJo.jpg

Finally have an update on my Shadow War shelf, nothings really changed in it for ages, but it's nice to see things coming together, I must get that terrain painted sometime...

B11i8xG.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone, next up is the cannoness, wish me luck!

• 1 year later...

Its... Been a while...

But I'm back with some painting. The same project, still have to finish my sisters!

First up we have the cannoness who was sitting on my painting desk for so long that they actually released plastic sisters in the meantime!

FamfrLE.jpg

But that's not all. Painting her inspired me to pick the other girls back up! I've finished the heavy flamer girl bar needing to make a base and made a start on my last two bolter girls (which I don't need for the kill team, but I'm getting hooked on painting so why not?)

AyRBBzU.jpg

So in total my kill team is on 5/6 completion, though one more base takes them to 6/6! Lastly I have 3D printed a repressor. Not sure whether this forum accepts images of 3D printed minis, but I only printed it as an excuse to practice before painting my immolator and felt morally ok as the model is long since discontinued. Will happily share photos if allowed.

IjB3ut6.jpg

This weekend I finished printing and assembling my Repressor. It's my first attempt at painting a vehicle in a long time and I'm having an absolute blast!

I've certainly made a load of mistakes to learn from (sticking my thumb on wet gold paint was a rookie error!) which makes me thankful I tested on a printed tank before moving onto the real thing.

I also made the bases for my last 3 sisters, so now the Heavy Flamer is based.

K370nh8.jpg

The tank still needs shading, marbling and highlights, still a lot to do, and I've no idea what to do for the dozer blade. Or whether to weather the tank. All my sisters are clean so I'm thinking the tank should be too?

Finally a close up of the rhino. I still need to finish the greenstuff on the left side of the tank...

c0Amm1I.jpg

*gasp!* Someone besides me is filling in those horrible gaps all over the rhino? 

wBaqP0z.gif?1

Wait, were not supposed to fill them?!

:wink:

If I dont fill mine, my OCD begins to twitch... and making my OCD not twitch is a good thing.

/filling his Rhino gaps since 1990

You gotta fill those rhino gaps, it's like drilling bolter barrels, it's just a thing!

More progress as I've been really enjoying this tank painting thing. I'm essentially finished bar the dozer blade which I can't decide how to paint, and deciding whether to weather, currently leaning towards the clean look.

The good news is I am rather taken with the marbling even on a larger model, which was the whole reason I made a 3D printed proxy to test. Have an "army" pic, if you can call 1hq and 1 troop choice with a transport an army.

Xt8DoVZ.jpg

It's interesting to see how a cheap FDM printer can handle such models, you'd never do it for a show army, but at arms length you can barely tell, if I'd spent more time cleaning the print and green stuffing some of the errors it could be even better. Give me a couple of weeks and I can put it side to side with an immolator to compare!

I'm still managing to paint, I feel a renewed love for the hobby and these amazing minis which is really driving me forward right now.

First up we have the last two sisters with bolters. I feel like I stepped up my face fame on these two, which has always been a weak point for me. I have no more sisters to paint now! I may look to rectify that...

fdVabvv.jpg

I've also made some good work on the Rhino/Immolator, with most of the base colours blocked out and ready and the storm bolter turret complete.

rHDwTNH.jpg

L9Ht1px.jpg

Once I've finished the Rhino all I'll have left is the Immolator turret option. Don't know whether to give it the Heavy bolters, multi meltas or flamers option? Or try and be fancy and magnetise?

Oh, and I may have picked up an old metal penitant engine cheap on ebay... because why not?