MK III armor and jump packs

Death guard also have art in collected visions of Mk III jump troops.

Yep. Ganders posted that very image on the previous page.

Or they're MkV? Hybrid III and V? Whatever, they're awesome, and we need FW to make models that resemble these immediately. Barring that we need a version of these guys that have become Plague Marines, maybe with some fly wings to boot. HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE??

Yes internets again it seems :rolleyes:  LetsYouDown explains it very well on the first page

I'm using the Prospero box to build 30k looking space wolves and was wondering if jump packs on mk3 armor would be out of place? I thought I read in the fluff somewhere that mk3 was heavier and wasn't good for jump troops, it was more of a boarding action armor. Any thoughts?

This is like some kind of fan myth, much like "Dark Angels use tons of volkite weaponry," although that one's a little dead since the Dark Angels rules dropped in Retribution. It just gets repeated a lot and then we internalize it, but it's not official. It's stated a lot that MkIII is better for boarding actions and attritional warfare, but then we, the fans, made the logical leap that that's why there aren't MkIII assault marine models. FW actually did plan on making them at one point and just never got around to it. If you look too hard, you'll also notice there's no MkV Despoiler squad, for similar reasons. Not enough time. Here's a link to an old interview with Alan Bligh where he even states that it was planned: http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.com/2013/05/horus-heresy-alan-bligh-answers-your.html

So, go for it if you want to model it! I will say that I don't think that the MkIII armour looks good with a jump pack on the back. I think it's the squat legs that make it look terrible to me. So there's that aesthetic aspect to consider, and if FW couldn't make them look good, that might be why they didn't pursue the kit as a priority. Hard to say!

There is further precedence in the fluff, by the way. Argel Tal has MkIII armour and jump pack in the early sections of The First Heretic, and the Word Bearers also make use of a MkIII armour sub-type with their Ashen Circle jump troops. Then there's a Blood Angel named Zephon who has a jump pack and a MkIII helmet in Master of Mankind, although we don't know for certain if he has a full suit of MkIII armour. Actually, MkIII helmets on the MkII assault squad kit would probably look pretty rad.

MK3 is heavier for sure, but I think when it comes to wearing jump packs the difference in weight would be negligible. Maybe a few kilos of difference at most. And that can be accounted for by simply using a more powerful jump pack. It would make far less sense putting a jump pack on a terminator, because a terminator is gonna be several tonnes heavier than a normal power armoured marine. Far more plating and armour and increased size. But different marks of ordinary power armour, despite having differences in weight for sure, are gonna have some uniformity. If they didn't, MKV (which is supposed to just be a bunch of different armour marks thrown together with bonding studs) wouldn't function, it' would be awful and off balance etc.