The Falsa Astartes Crusade

DBadger

For Capes, It would be better to pop off the back pack if you can, either create a cape or attach a cape on their back, then re-attach the backpack on top... I usually Greenstuff my own tabards and capes nowadays as using the Templar upgrade boxes repeatedly makes redundant Marines, and putting the cape on top of the backpack makes for a really over bulky looking Marine...

I guess for example you can take a look at the old Space Marine Captain model... he comes with a cape and the Aquila looking backpack, the Cape is attached to the back torso half, while the Backpack is a separate piece.

• 8 months later...

I realise it's almost been a year, but I drift in and out of the hobby I guess.

I finally got around to starting painting one of my horses. I'm not going to pretend my painting is anything up to scratch, but maybe this can inspire someone else to do some steeds as I think the actual models look pretty good. What better way to ride to a crusade?

I5vPzri.jpg?1

XjWW39R.jpg?1

s94riGm.jpg?1

UiOCIu4.jpg?1

Best viewed from afar...

Edited by DBadger

Counts-as bikes for anything important or official, but I'd rather come up with my own rules for them.

I've bought some spray paint to prime my actual rough riders so we'll see how those turn out.

ETA:

Sloppy and basic, but again maybe it'll inspire someone.

One of my bikes. Based on a White Scar from I think the 2nd ed Space Marines codex.

Yes, the pointy flag makes him go faster.

QOYcoBi.jpg?1

gqYeLaA.jpg?1

And then there's this guy, who might be a bit too heretic.

wN75IsD.jpg?1

b2B4wnb.jpg?1

uuJlQ2K.jpg?1

Edited by DBadger

I'm not sure on that one! I think they've been fighting together - the rhino is recently downed - and he's trying to get a better shot. He's probably due a stern telling off nonetheless.

I've rebased my Marshall (Big Fat Primaris bloke) using some scenery from my IG; I'm not sure how to paint him though. Is gold armour just for Helbrecht? My colour schemes aren't that fluffy anyway so I might go with gold / bronze. I have most of the old citadel metallics but they're ten years old and need some remediation!

Edit: I've cocked up this one. Face needs painting - apart from that my gold just looks dirty and sloppy. There are issues all around.

K1yPjHR.jpg?1

I'm happier with this guy though.

cizqbeM.jpg?1

Edit to add:

This is my second attempt.

I mixed the colour I use for bases with shining gold and a little tin bitz. I will highlight this, but here's the base:

S0PRR57.jpg?1

PweCjG3.jpg?1

Still quite gruesome as paint jobs go but an improvement I think?

I'm trying to un-dry my flesh colours so I can paint the face.7

And with highlights:

XdtN0s9.jpg?1

DfrVkB3.jpg?1

Edited by DBadger

I have been experimenting with inks. I've also cleared up my workspace and got a new lamp so hopefully that'll look better (or better highlight all my mistakes).

I need to invest in a brighter red for eyes.

My Emperor's Champion.

vpsF4dv.jpg?1

Standard bearer and Marshall; thinking of adding this wolf to his base as they're a motif in my army. Is going to be standing up but actually this wolf looks alright downed.

zVyLNyh.jpg?1

So I suppose this is the beginnings of a command squad.

07zAD8Y.jpg?1

Ulrik the Chaplain and Friends.

TayC413.jpg?1

EC contemplating his sword.

UzSIWVO.jpg?1

ETA: I've added some detail to Marshall. Managed to paint pupils, give him hair and some more highlighting.

Edited by DBadger

Probably because it's so small :p

Here's a better look.

d6v5x5A.jpg?1

I'm not sure if you can see, but I've painted his face. Eyeballs, irises, eyebrows and moustache.

7PPXcDg.jpg?1

Some bits a bit sloppy when zoomed in.

Sword brothers progress.

I have ordered Spellcrow tabbards which will be used wherever they'll fit in my army.

UdyuEVB.jpg?1

This guy's weirdly extended chainsword is temporary until I get another power sword.

V0k40uY.jpg?1

Still not sure what role these weird guys will have in my army.

nMVkiPO.jpg?1

Typical marine.

UZnRTMx.jpg?1

My army so far, minus about ten minis missing mostly shown on this page.

wPaI3tx.jpg?1

Trying gold on my Emperor's Champion. Needs washes and highlights.

0NeHN73.jpg?1

Edited by DBadger

So in the post I have 20 tabards, 10 capes that will fit with backpacks, and 20 purity seals / scrolls. Hopefully these will make my snap fit marines look a little different to one another.

Been drilling my barrels.

NVCgRWB.jpg?1

BSa6c6Y.jpg?1

pQWWiTh.jpg?1

Emperor's Champion.

bo0Dcnv.jpg?1

Still need to paint his scroll canisters for some reason.

kYJYJIn.jpg?1

Somewhat resembles an army now.

I8Mv1fq.jpg?1

Was thinking of getting this guy, removing the laz-e-boy and putting a dreadnought coffin in there.

99810107006_KaramazovNEW01.jpg

So it turns out I was wrong that "everything looks better with capes". The more dynamic poses do look better with the more dynamic capes, but the static models still look static.

Emperor's Champion:

8ePDC9J.jpg?1

Beaky: (sloppy)

tipoFSs.jpg?1

Caped Crusader:

zxNDcHL.jpg?1

So after capes, next it was time to abuse purity seals.

As my army is partially made of my Space Wolves and other peoples' Ultramarines and Emperor's Children, I felt need to bombard any slightly HERETIC looking models with purity seals and scrolls.

Thankfully Anvil Industries came to the rescue for this.

ZNthwkk.jpg?1

EqxzTE5.jpg?1

hJ4vqXU.jpg?1

Eg7MswJ.jpg?1

hnehE37.jpg?1

Need washes and highlights.

Also my eyesight is evidently terrible. I end up taking these photos, uploading them, and then seeing bits I need to touch up from that!

I'm not sure if you can tell, but I have changed my base colour.

I have bought some non-GW paints.They seem OK; they're doing better on my bases anyway. I have gone with a warmer yellow for my bases, to contrast with tabards when I add them.

Edited by DBadger

So I'm addicted to Amazon/eBay at the moment; this is my Co:SM collection. Already had the top-left three. The rest were £2 to £5 each and came in MINT condition. In the post I also have Angels of Death (and Astra Militarum).

MvBpTDY.jpg?1

Needs a lot of work but this is the best of my old AdMech guys. Have to remember that at the time we didn't have official AdMech figures. Sklitarii weren't a thing and young me thought the best way to represent them would be to use Dark Angels with Imperial Guard arms and various techmarine parts.

B6SziaF.jpg?1

ZtC6UW4.jpg?1

Going to paint his banner in a natural cloth kind of look. I like the flow of his arm, head and tech bits.

z7pcY4w.jpg?1

Ork's head came free with White Dwarf of yonder.

UjOt8u5.jpg?1

How they might look in a squad.

8ynNPcl.jpg?1

On the right you can see a 2ed snap fit rocket launcher guy with a 4ed launcher.

Horsie contemplating his massive lance:

2yP8RmC.jpg?1

Biker guy has been plastered with purity seals and aquilas.

3jqvwkl.jpg?1

Hellblasters. I am changing my colour scheme and going with bone aquilas later.

3zEKpKh.jpg?1

My one and only terminator, came free with White Dwarf a long while ago.

L5fhwMf.jpg?1

The most heretic of my ex-Chaos guys.

bMs1HOQ.jpg?1

I'm actually addicted to Amazon trawling.

So I've now got...

- 3rd Edition Rulebook

- - 3rd Ed Space Marines

- - 3rd Ed Space Wolves

- - 3rd Ed Imperial Guard

- - Armageddon

- 4th Edition Rulebook

- - Black Templars

- 5th Edition Rulebook

- - 5th Ed Imperial Guard

- 6th Edition Rulebook

- - 6th Ed Space Marines

- - 6th Ed Dark Angels

- 7th Edition Rulebook

- - 7th Ed Space Marines

- - - Angels of Death

- - 7th Ed Astra Militarum (I think, will see when it arrives)

- - 7th Ed Grey Knights (I think, will see when it arrives)

- 8th Edition Rulebook

- - Primaris Space Marines

Plus 3rd Ed Chaos Space Marines, 3rd Ed Witchhunters.

Think that's everything... for now. Other than the ones I already owned I didn't pay any more than £5 for them (usually around £2).

Modeling wise, I'm drilling my meltaguns and bike exhausts and painting them up, will post pics later. Poor excuse but the sun is shining into my room so it's either dark or I'm blind haha.

Found two more Dark Angel models which I'm modeling up. They look a lot more templar-y as they have power armour showing beneath their robes.

Spellcrow tabards never came, but that's what I get for ordering them off eBay. Will go straight to Spellcrow in future.

Edited by DBadger

I've got my Spellcrow bits refunded (eBay) so going to buy them again from somewhere more reputable, like Waylandgames.

Might buy some other things alongside.

Some ideas:

- Want to make some scouts. Will use Spellcrow tabard tops, tabards, GW scout legs and arms, and other heads. Expensive though. But I absolutely hate the look of Space Marine scouts generally.

- Want some terminators. Looking at Dark Angels - Deathwing Knights - for inspiration. Would use termies and Spellcrow shields and tabards, but again, expensive.

DeathwingKnights.jpg

- I like Inquisitor Coteaz and many of the Dark Angel special characters. Could convert some. Particularly Belial, if I do terminators.

- Obviously Grimaldus.

- Don't have a proper chaplain yet. I like the look of the jump-pack chaplain, would he look OK with the pack swapped for a normal one?

I am aware of my army becoming too Dark-Angelsy though. I was even considering a bone colour scheme for my terminators! Perhaps not.

Here's my codices so far!

rqPagCA.jpg?2

Only scuffed rulebooks are the 3rd ed which is a little damaged, and 6th ed which may be me. Already owned 4th and 8th, the rest cost no more than £15 altogether and are mint, including the box for 7th ed.

Sadly they don't look that great how I display them:

ElNCuRS.jpg?1

Boring spines, GW!

And my codices.

L6Q0OP0.jpg?2

Still have Astra Militarum in the post, not sure which edition. Have misplaced 3rd ed guard!

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I ordered:

- deathwatch captain in termie armour

Terminator in a tabard for conversion

- deathwing knights

5 termies in tabards for conversion

- 6 spellcrow Templar shields

To replace dark angel ones on the termies; DW will get one too

- 10 spellcrow Templar tabards

- 10 spellcrow normal tabards

For sprucing up my existing army

Will let you know how well the deathwatch and deathwing convert. I know there will be a lot of DA and inq emblems to cover up.

£50 overall for the six termies and all bits (then £11 for the extra tabards). Wayland Games.

Regarding a chaplain, the other full skull helmed figure that I just love is this guy:

gallery_15184_7227_177075.jpg

I put a jump pack and swapped out his left arm, but there aren't a whole lot of figures that say ZEAL like this guy.

For your scouts, you might look into getting some Brettonian heads. I wasn't crazy about the Scout heads either, so got some of them and put them on the Scout bodies and I like their overall look much better. Plus it got me that medieval touch I was looking for.

Also, nice collection of history books you got there. :)

I hate the metal scouts even more, sadly! I do have a couple but I've lost them with my land raider... In the warp somewhere. That's what happens when the neophytes take a raider for a spin I guess.

For heads I'm torn between spellcrow beards, hoods, long hair or... Controversial... Getting some female heads. I know all SM are clones.

If you need an old sniper scout, you could always get Telion and trim the Ultramarine stuff off of him.  Another option would be to use one of the beret heads from the scion box on a scout.  For my dark angels, I replaced all the scout heads with scion ones.  You have to trim the neck down or make a hole in the torso, but I think that they look much better than the default scout heads.