The 144th Cadian "Emperor´s Retribution". WIP (first army)

lash144

Hey there,

like I mentioned in another thread I am pretty new in this community and in fact I just started with Warhammer about 2 months ago.

So these are my first models ever and my first army, the 144th Cadian "Emperor´s Retribution".

This thread is for documenting my progress. I also appreciate your honest C&C and some tips on how to improve my painting.

Lets start with some of my 30 Guardsman, which were my first models ever.

Infantry Squad

Next we got my first vehicle, a fully magnetized Chimera (thanks for the super helpful guide in the forum btw :))

Chimera

Last but not least we have my first Leman Russ, the standard Battletank.

Leman Russ Battle Tank

Models I am working on atm:

- Some more Guardsman, because you can never have enough I guess ;)

- Commissar

- Leman Russ Executioner

What comes after that:

- Some Scions

- Company Commander

- Eversor Assassin

Your painting looks great, very effective shading, highlighting, and the camo on your tanks looks outstanding.

4 ways to improve:

-Consider drilling out your heavy bolter barrels

-Paint up your vehicles' red lenses a bit more. I might be wrong but they look like you just did a basecoat. In contrast, your blue lenses look outstanding.

-Consider adding some chipped paint/bare metal effects

-Think about adding more kit to your vehicles. Many vehicles, even the deuce and a halfs and humvees of the light division I was in, are festooned with packs, camo rolls, jerry cans, and concertina wire. Consider buying some third party kits and adding more gear to your vehicles--this is something I've been meaning to do to my Tallarn vehicles for awhile now.

Great looking army!

Nice colours, especially on the tanks. 144th is the best number for a regiment too :wink: The biggest improvement I'd say is drilling out the barrels, but it's not mandatory.

Thanks :) It´s really nice which good results one can achieve with a simple technique like drybrushing.

Your painting looks great, very effective shading, highlighting, and the camo on your tanks looks outstanding.

4 ways to improve:

-Consider drilling out your heavy bolter barrels

-Paint up your vehicles' red lenses a bit more. I might be wrong but they look like you just did a basecoat. In contrast, your blue lenses look outstanding.

-Consider adding some chipped paint/bare metal effects

-Think about adding more kit to your vehicles. Many vehicles, even the deuce and a halfs and humvees of the light division I was in, are festooned with packs, camo rolls, jerry cans, and concertina wire. Consider buying some third party kits and adding more gear to your vehicles--this is something I've been meaning to do to my Tallarn vehicles for awhile now.

Great looking army!

Thanks for your feedback. Actually I was missing the highlighting colors for the red :D

Whats the point in drilling out barrels?^^

It's so they look like bullets can pass through them. You know, like a gun.

Looks good otherwise. Those blue lenses are great.

I somehow refered this to the Battle Canon of the LR and was wondering myself because there is already a big hole inside ^^

You like them? Its the first time I made them and I follow a guide, but I am not really happy with them...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there :)

The last couple of weeks were very stressful for me, so I didn´t found so much time for painting like I would have liked to ...

Never the less I finished some models wich I would like to share with you:

First off all reinforcement from the Officio Prefectus arrived to boost the atmosphere within the 144th ;)

It´s my first character model and I think it turned out quite well.

Commissar with Bolt Pistol

Commissar with Bolt Pistol backview

I also finished my Scion test colour scheme and would love to here your opinion on it.
I choose a different color scheme from the standard GW scheme, because I really dont´t like. Also now they are more in line with the rest of my Cadian force.

Scions test scheme

Furtheremore I finished some more guardsmen, which I won´t show because they are just more guardsman ^^. But next month there will be a picture with my whole army on it.

As all ways I appreciate your C&C :)

Whats coming next:

- Leman Russ Executioner (nearly finished)

- Scions

- Taurox Prime (just started)

• 1 month later...

Since the term in University is over I finally found some more time to paint and would like to share my progress and ask a little bit for help regarding a color scheme.

Lately I´ve been working on some Scions and Taurox Prime and especially the Scions were really fun to paint and I like the way they turned out.

Scions + Taurox Prime

Now I´m working a the Tempestor Prime (because to be honest you really want to have those orders ;)) 

He is painted in the same Cadian Color scheme like my Scion, but I´m not quite sure which Color would fit for the rim of his coat and the sleeves? Any suggestions?

Tempestor Prime WIP

Gold is the standard for such things in most cases, but that might not work with the tan colour you have. Perhaps the silver you have on your armour trims? Or something slightly different and white?

Yeah gold would definitly screw the scheme up ^^ And white is also a bad idea I think, cause those skull icons are also gonna be white.

Maybe I try the silver, but I was also thinking about a darker color as a contrast to the brighter kakhi and grey.

Anyone else an idea?

@ Knight & Cottrell

Thanks a lot!

The standard color scheme from GW is really stupid imo, which is a shame, because the Scion models themself look pretty cool.

Khaki is close enough to both yellow and white that placing gold or silver against it violates the rules of tincture, and therefore the result isn't pleasing to the eye.

Because of the dominant khaki, a metallic is out. I would use red, blue, or green. Red is traditionally used as a color of seniority and would provide a unique accent for your scion officers and NCOs.

So I just finisher my Tempestor Prime and wanted to share the results with you.

First I tried black for the trims and it looked really cartoony (reminded me of the Borderlands art style, if you know that game^^). So I choose red and it´s is, like Captain Ed said, giving the Officer a nice touch of superiority.

Tempestor Prime

Tempestor Prime back

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished my second Chimera for my Armoured Company and I just gave weathering a first try.

Do you like it? Any tips for improving the effect?

Wheathering First Try 2

Weather First Try 1

I also wanted to give you a brief overlook over my collection, which I painted in the last 5 months after getting into 40k in April.

5 months into 40k!

I know I need much more infantry, but I am just sold the idea of fielding an Mechanized Company. Hopefully the Codex will have some nice´s fixes ;)