the swear filter

My suggestion in regards to swearing cussing etc is to just remove it all the words the symbols the mad little faces. Really folks if you can't piece together a sentence without swearing on a games forum that's an issue. The problems with the symbols/emoticons is the hide nothing only the letters. What are we teaching younger gamers and our kids.

Thanks for reading

The swear filter always replaces the banned word/s with this emoticon: :censored: - anyone attempting to dodge the swear filter (e.g. using * or any other character as a letter replacement) is violating the rules and their post should be reported if you spot it. The intent of a replacement emoticon is so those "in the know" are aware of what might have been said; if a reader doesn't already know the presence of an emoticon isn't going to change that.

I've never had any issues with swearing. Mind you, I was taught context over content and brought up in a family with a long military history, so that's probably coloured my views substantially. The argument that swearing indicates low and/or lack of intelligence is half-witted at best, though. 

A swear filter is unnecessary, really. People should have enough common sense to realise that if the rules state not to swear then you don't do it; that's just common sense. Same goes for attempting to circumvent a filter by replacing letters with symbols.

There's common sense, then there is self-control.  I think it's safe to say we all have the common sense not to use a swear word in a public online media platform, but not all of us use the self-control to refrain from consciously typing out the word(s).  And let's face it, there are plenty of ways to "dodge" the swear filter via abbreviations and other means, but that's just deliberately trying to use a swear word without actually typing it out.

So, without self-control, then the filter should be there for a family-use forum.  For those with self-control, having a swear filter is not a problem.

There's common sense, then there is self-control.  I think it's safe to say we all have the common sense not to use a swear word in a public online media platform, but not all of us use the self-control to refrain from consciously typing out the word(s).  And let's face it, there are plenty of ways to "dodge" the swear filter via abbreviations and other means, but that's just deliberately trying to use a swear word without actually typing it out.

So, without self-control, then the filter should be there for a family-use forum.  For those with self-control, having a swear filter is not a problem.

There are also some threads in the fiction setting where swears seem appropriate, to be honest. So a little :CUSS here and there seems like a good compromise to keep in friendly.

Aye, applying common sense is pretty much how I look at it. Swearing in a fluff piece? That's fine, and is pretty common in the various stories set within the universe. Swearing at another user? That's not on.

The rules are clear: no swearing regardless of the context. The swear filter covers this within fair reason, the rest can be picked up by the membership should someone stray. Anything more could risk false positives and the filter is there to support posting not interfere with it. Wholesale removal would garble meaning whereas a replacement helps maintain this even if it's just a flag to say something was replaced, the system as it stands may not be perfect but it does a good enough job for our needs.

I understand that the swear filter is necessary as people sometimes show no restraint or a so caught up in their moment of frustration anger or any other reason.

I also understand that people swear for no apparent reason it's just their way.

At no point did I say swearing is related to intelligence or otherwise.

I'm not here to argue a point but to suggest a suggestion.

That was all and thanks.

So here's a question I've been wondering about, with the acceptance of terms like gak and feth there's another sci-fi invective from Battle Star Galactica that is also used in certain 40K novels, is that specific word considered a swear/dodging a swear? To be clear it's a homophone to the shorted form of hydraulic fracturing.

What Grot said is something I've tried to get across to people before: if you are going to type it out, just type it and see if it gets jammed up by the filter. If it doesn't, then you should be gold. There is no use in attempting to filter yourself, because that actually causes more issues with the filter dodging rule (it's the whole "admitting I knew, but did it anyway" concept, even if you just thought that the word might get tagged by the filter).

One caveat to this is there are certain words that we allow through the filter for "legitimate use", but are on the look out for use as language against another person. Keep that in mind (truthfully, that can be avoided by simply not addressing someone else like that).