FW index available to purchase/download

Sception

Any thought on a vanilla Decimator ? I'm looking for a wannabe Slaanesh subjugator to stop any Berzerks or horde army who want to end prematurely my SM sweet songs.

The Decimator with dual claws is nasty. Very nasty.

I would suggest marking it Slaanesh and running a Herald behind it to cast Hysterical Frenzy on it and give it +1 Str from the Herald Aura (since it's a Slaanesh Daemon at that point) and give it two activations during a Fight Phase. You can also synergize with a Sorcerer with Warptime to let it use that sweet Move 10 twice in a row.

It would also have 6 attacks. The sacred number calls to you. Do it. :)

Alternately, you could go with one or two Butcher Cannons to spread LD penalties around and then smack people with Cacophonic Choir.

I think you'll see I agreed with you earlier up the page about some units needing to be fixed. Regardless, I think we are well off topic here. I just wanted to make clear that the rules as they exist don't limit what units one can take in an army, only the interaction of said units, for others who might be reading this.

Now onto the topic at hand, give the giant spawn another look and run some numbers. I find that they are one of the most cost effective units we have. For a measly 75 points, we are getting a unit with a base 10 wounds, 7-9 attacks -1AP at str 7-9. The unit is difficult to put down because as it gets weaker, it has an easier time getting wounds back and can go above its base stats quickly if you roll well and get into combat early (once it hits 4 wounds or less, it could conceivably, if unlikely, regenerate up 15 wounds/round!) Take four and I would imagine your opponents will quickly want to wring your neck.

Any thought on a vanilla Decimator ? I'm looking for a wannabe Slaanesh subjugator to stop any Berzerks or horde army who want to end prematurely my SM sweet songs.

The Decimator with dual claws is nasty. Very nasty.

I would suggest marking it Slaanesh and running a Herald behind it to cast Hysterical Frenzy on it and give it +1 Str from the Herald Aura (since it's a Slaanesh Daemon at that point) and give it two activations during a Fight Phase. You can also synergize with a Sorcerer with Warptime to let it use that sweet Move 10 twice in a row.

It would also have 6 attacks. The sacred number calls to you. Do it. :smile.:

Alternately, you could go with one or two Butcher Cannons to spread LD penalties around and then smack people with Cacophonic Choir.

With 2 Siege Claws & Hellflamers it is a touch over 180 points, not bad for M10" T7 & 6 x S9 AP-3 D3 attacks. The Decimator is the bargain of the whole index. Has a 5++ and automatically recovers a wound at the start of your turn which is nice. W7 and WS3+ is the only down side.

For a more excessive purchase, at a touch over 240 points you could run a Hellforged Contemptor with 2 Hellforged deathclaws and 2 soulburners.

M9 is a tad slower but W10 and for every model you kill in the fight phase you roll a D6, on a 5+ you get a wound back. 5 x S14 AP-3 D3 attacks that hit on a 2+ in melee will net you some nice damage. Plus soulburners are 24" Assault D3, a successful hit inflicts a mortal wound!

Spoilt for choice! :smile.:

For me, I can't see past a Decimator with 2 x Soulburner petard, so cheap. 2 x 2D3 shots that if they hit cause a mortal wound is better than Heavy flamers/Hellflamers against anything hordey with an invulneralbe save... Genestealers, I'm looking at you! Plus, it puts the hurt on high toughness stuff like tanks and monsters just as well. Killing high model count stuff with access to a 5++ of some kind is proving the necessity of 8th for me and the people in my area.

Edited by Dallas Drake

Thoughts on the hellforged Achilles? I recently snagged multi Meltas and the stomach cannon from the lord of skulls to attempt to convert one from a standard land raider. Transport capicity seems kind of useless...

If hordy units are a problem for you, quad HB rapier batteries might be worth consideration.  4PL / 86 points per 12 heavy bolter rounds (plus two bolters from the crew) isn't shabby.  Not going to do as much against the big / heavily armored stuff, but still.

Re: the Achilles - I'm not a fan of any of the FW land raider variants in the index, because, in another case of apparent lack of communication between the GW rules writers and the FW rules writers, it seems the FW guys didn't get the note that chaos land raiders are actually supposed to keep their machine spirit rule now.  The Achilles is a very expensive platform for a soulburn gun that doesn't have all that many shots to work with, especially if you're taking a hit penalty to move into range with your multimelters, which suffer the same penalty as well.  The 4++ save is nice, but the added melee abilities for being helforged don't help much because the achilles wants to be shooting its weapons, not tied up in close combat.

Re: the Fire Raptor - I like it well enough - though I'm sorely disappointed that the autocannons seem so much less effective than the heavy bolters now - who was it who decided reaper autocannons should only be damage one instead of the usual d2 for other autocannons?  I have some choice words for them - but anyway, yeah, the fire raptor is a pretty impressive flier, but it might be too expensive even for its admittedly respectable output.  For about the same investment, you could take 5 quad heavy bolter rapiers and put out 60 heavy bolter shots a turn instead of 24.

Edited by malisteen

If hordy units are a problem for you, quad HB rapier batteries might be worth consideration.  4PL / 86 points per 12 heavy bolter rounds (plus two bolters from the crew) isn't shabby.  Not going to do as much against the big / heavily armored stuff, but still.

Yeah the Heavy Bolter Rapiers are sick, point for point the cheapest dakka we have. Problem is I don't own any & FW charge £35 for 1, a set of 3 is going to hit £100. I earn a decent wage but can't even come close to getting that one past the missus.

I am going to settle for Heavy Bolter Havocs, I prefer the models too. Going to try 2 Decimators (converted Helbrutes) next game I think.

A Fire Raptor may unleash 24 HB shots per turn, plus it can take heavy stuff with the Avenger and/or 4 lascannon/missiles. Very expensive both in price and points, but it is a beast!

It's superb but it comes in at around 422 points. I can run it at 2000 or 2500 points, I just can't fit it in at 1500. It's a great unit though and definitely something to bring when the gloves need to come off!

What are the thoughts on Contemptors and Sicarans?

I am leaning towards a Hellforged Contemptor w/ Butcher Cannon, Deathclaw and Hellflamer. It's an allrounder that can do some damage to light/medium vehicles and it's good against any form of infantry.

The Sicaran looks like it was made to mow down hordes and threaten light vehicles/flyers. Give it Heavy Bolters and the Havoc Launcher and watch it chuck out possible 12 S5 and 8 S7 shots! Heck, it probably has enough cadence to take on tanks as it wounds them all on 5s with the Bolters/Havoc Launcher and 4s/3s with its Accelerator Autocannon!

The Hellforged Pred also looks very nice. The Plasma Destroyer looks solid. Give it two Lascannons and hunt tanks. Funny how it gets better and better at close combat the more damaged it gets! It even gets D3 additional attacks if it charges. xD 

I am leaning towards a Hellforged Contemptor w/ Butcher Cannon, Deathclaw and Hellflamer. It's an allrounder that can do some damage to light/medium vehicles and it's good against any form of infantry.

The Sicaran looks like it was made to mow down hordes and threaten light vehicles/flyers. Give it Heavy Bolters and the Havoc Launcher and watch it chuck out possible 12 S5 and 8 S7 shots! Heck, it probably has enough cadence to take on tanks as it wounds them all on 5s with the Bolters/Havoc Launcher and 4s/3s with its Accelerator Autocannon!

The Hellforged Pred also looks very nice. The Plasma Destroyer looks solid. Give it two Lascannons and hunt tanks. Funny how it gets better and better at close combat the more damaged it gets! It even gets D3 additional attacks if it charges. xD

Granted I've only played one game with the new index

Love my contemptors, last edition I used them purely for shooting do their combat skill are all new to me, but damn, also saying strength 14 is alot of fun, running mine with kheres, still a threat to light vehicles but more anti infantry

Sicaran is so good, the accelerator autocannon being assault is so good, and heavy bolters are very cheap, so can't complain to much about that, all around good tank

I love the FW index book but very sad about the lack of Death Guard Keywords (especially on plague Hulks and blight drones ) yes people dron endlessly on the stupid "but you can still take them" and what happens when actual codexs for Death Guard and Thousands Sons come out??? We will be in the same boat as traitor legions where those people wanting to take FW are screwed over once again, even though it would take barely a sentence or two on most units "can be taken by thousand sons / Death Guard" I really hate GW for imposing that stupid chart :(

Im planning on taking two butcher cannon Contemptors to advance with my plague marines acting as support whilst a Deredero will provide back field support blasting everything with butcher cannon array, greater havoc launcher and heavy bolters all bubble wrapped with poxwalkers though none of my walkers will be able to be buffed by my character's auras :(

Edited by teutonicavenger

I love the FW index book but very sad about the lack of Death Guard Keywords (especially on plague Hulks and blight drones ) yes people dron endlessly on the stupid "but you can still take them" and what happens when actual codexs for Death Guard and Thousands Sons come out??? We will be in the same boat as traitor legions where those people wanting to take FW are screwed over once again, even though it would take barely a sentence or two on most units "can be taken by thousand sons / Death Guard" I really hate GW for imposing that stupid chart :(

Im planning on taking two butcher cannon Contemptors to advance with my plague marines acting as support whilst a Deredero will provide back field support blasting everything with butcher cannon array, greater havoc launcher and heavy bolters all bubble wrapped with poxwalkers though none of my walkers will be able to be buffed by my character's auras :(

Make them dusk raiders and have a dusk raider character nearby ;)

The Sicaran looks like it was made to mow down hordes and threaten light vehicles/flyers. Give it Heavy Bolters and the Havoc Launcher and watch it chuck out possible 12 S5 and 8 S7 shots! Heck, it probably has enough cadence to take on tanks as it wounds them all on 5s with the Bolters/Havoc Launcher and 4s/3s with its Accelerator Autocannon!

Dual Chainclaw Contemptor with double Soulburners will eat people's faces. The 9 in. move and the fact that it has 2+ WS and BS and a 4++ in close combat (along with the ability to heal itself) means that as long as you handle your approach correctly, you can dish out some solid close in firepower and then inflict serious carnage in melee.

Maximum possible 6 Mortal Wounds plus another 20 in CC. Realistically much lower, but still potent.

You also don't need to be afraid to run a Multi-Melta on it. You'll hit on a 2 and that high movement should get you within 12 in pretty quick.

As long as you keep in mind that you should be firing while advancing and then ending up in CC in order to use every part of the profile effectively, you should be able to design some pretty good configs.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

All my characters are the Death Guard ones which have to be Death Guard :(

All my characters are the Death Guard ones which have to be Death Guard :(

Big bell guy makes a awesome chaos Lord with plasma pistol ;)

The Sicaran looks like it was made to mow down hordes and threaten light vehicles/flyers. Give it Heavy Bolters and the Havoc Launcher and watch it chuck out possible 12 S5 and 8 S7 shots! Heck, it probably has enough cadence to take on tanks as it wounds them all on 5s with the Bolters/Havoc Launcher and 4s/3s with its Accelerator Autocannon!

Dual Chainclaw Contemptor with double Soulburners will eat people's faces. The 9 in. move and the fact that it has 2+ WS and BS and a 4++ in close combat (along with the ability to heal itself) means that as long as you handle your approach correctly, you can dish out some solid close in firepower and then inflict serious carnage in melee.

Maximum possible 6 Mortal Wounds plus another 20 in CC. Realistically much lower, but still potent.

You also don't need to be afraid to run a Multi-Melta on it. You'll hit on a 2 and that high movement should get you within 12 in pretty quick.

As long as you keep in mind that you should be firing while advancing and then ending up in CC in order to use every part of the profile effectively, you should be able to design some pretty good configs.

I think that's how I'll try running mine, too. I'm gonna drop one in a Dreadclaw and hopefully wreak some havoc. Even if he fails the charge, double soulburners and the Dreadclaw charging with him will be pretty badass. Unless interceptor is still a thing, that's guaranteed 2d3 mortal wounds on 2's. Given the range limitation on flamers, that seems like the best loadout for podding in. If they fit appropriately, I'll use the little juggernaut heads with nozzles from the Lord of Skulls kit. Edited by Juggernut

For cheaper counts as rapier platforms, admech kataphron servitors seem like they'd make a good chassis. You'd still have to figure out the guns, though:

gallery_29932_11602_194537.jpg

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/Castigator/20160102_131927.jpg

I did that exact thing with Kataphrons last edition. Put Hades up top using Forgefiend bits. Then when this book came out I cut the barrels off and subbed in Kataphron guns for conversion beamers, Helbrute plasma cannons for ecto (was out of Fiend arms by this point) and built a quad heavy bolter out of spare barrels and gargoyle head muzzles from the vehicle sprue.

Out of curiosity, how are people modeling soulburners? (the Contemptor and the Decimator variety)

The decimator has a FW model for the petard. Contemptor is in the fist so maybe a plasma blaster barrel?

Maybe this?

http://www.bitzarium.com/101-185-home/gun-muzzle.jpg

Whilst atm it doesn't matter (I am not buying any of the fw I want to until I know I can use it) has anyone had any luck with Sicaran Venator? I've always wanted one but from what people have said of the rules I just can;t see why you would use it over a normal one, as even on 3 d6 most units will pass it and even if it hits the regular Sicaran has so many shots at a decent Strength it seems to be only slightly less effective anti tank, far more reliable in hitting and far, far better against hoards.

The close combat soulburner contemptor sounds fun, and the TS contemptor is a beautiful model..