New Issodon Rules - Sneaky Peaky

The Yak

I did some sneaking about on the rumours forum and found this....

Anybody have the rules for Lias Issodon or Tyberos?

Lias Issodon borders on OP to me. +2 in cover instead of +1, all infantry within aura range add one to move, advance, and charge distances, and he can deep strike along with three power armored units (basically three drop pods), all for the price of 19.5 heavy bolters...

Oh and his gun is an assault 3 bolt rifle... but with meltagun ap and d3 damage.

Maybe a little under 200 pts, 180 or 190?

If I understand his rules correctly, you would only need an 8 for a successful charge? Talk about huge...

Or, 3 stern/dev squads with no need for drop pods. Gosh, I feel like thats almost too good...

Maybe a little under 200 pts, 180 or 190?

If I understand his rules correctly, you would only need an 8 for a successful charge? Talk about huge...

Or, 3 stern/dev squads with no need for drop pods. Gosh, I feel like thats almost too good...

I picked up my copy from WW today... I am really happy with how the Lias turned out
Honestly it feels as if he got the best deal (and attention) out of all of the characters

7" move ;)

Custom (amazing) Bolter, Custom Sword, Pistol for good measure

Chapter master rule makes him a great fit for sticking near any unit

Stealth armour is fluffy, makes him 0+ in ruins. No invul thoug so be wary

IID was removed - but fair enough, I always felt bad using that. It's replacement is pretty good actually. All raptors get a 7" move near him!
Grim Hunter is fantastic! Being able to fall back and shoot is one of the best abilities in 8th

And master of Ambush is better than infiltrate in almost every way. Pick any turn, pop up behind a character and shoot him. For Free.

Yeah. I'm happy. Makes up for the other lacklustre rules (relic, fire raptor, etc.)

Now all we need is our chapter tactics. Although it's very easy to extrapolate the legendary marksmen to 8th. Every to Hit roll (not to wound, I think to Hit is fluffier) does a mortal wound in addition to other damage. No sure about the other part of the rule...+2 to saves for the first turn...? Meh, I never liked that one

Well personally I've always imagined him hooded and camo cloaked up. MajorNese has a cracking version of him just as so. For 5 years I've contemplated how to model this legend......

This calls for another thread.....

I picked up my copy from WW today... I am really happy with how the Lias turned out

Honestly it feels as if he got the best deal (and attention) out of all of the characters

7" move :wink:

Custom (amazing) Bolter, Custom Sword, Pistol for good measure

Chapter master rule makes him a great fit for sticking near any unit

Stealth armour is fluffy, makes him 0+ in ruins. No invul thoug so be wary

IID was removed - but fair enough, I always felt bad using that. It's replacement is pretty good actually. All raptors get a 7" move near him!

Grim Hunter is fantastic! Being able to fall back and shoot is one of the best abilities in 8th

And master of Ambush is better than infiltrate in almost every way. Pick any turn, pop up behind a character and shoot him. For Free.

The list is great. Especially as his rifle is Assault, and his CC weapon quite awesome. Contrary to Shrike, even a 2+ armour. As for the stealth modified armour, it's the same bonus as a camo cloak, so just use one of those. Easiest source for that are deathwatch killteam sprues, one torso with modeled cloak, ammo holders at the torso front, fits directly. Alternatively, there are several Tau ghost paintjobs with a stealth effect, that would look badass too, even if it contradicts the whole "adapt" thing.

Master of Ambush is what lists can be built around. Place just few standard units during deployment (with alternating deployment, increases chances of going first), then on your first turn drop an entire infantry-based firebase wherever it fits the situation. Issodon for that nice reroll bubble, devs with lascannons/plasmacannons, tacs with all kinds of weapons (9" - rapid fire range), and even more dropped units with jump packs. Essentially, half a company in power armour, where you want them, when you want them, and moving out faster than they should. Talk about an ambush...:sweat:

Ambushing Centurions?!

That's almost broken.

I'd totally do that without remorse. A lot.

Nope, not centurions. Cents, terminators and primaris can't use that ability, just other infantry. But even the power armoured infantry can do quite a bit, thanks to split fire everything, and lots of special/heavy weapons. And charge from reserves (that 9" charge was just decreased to 8").

Ambush is the key.

These rules probably allow for the Finest distilled Raptor Juice ever transferable to a 40K game!!

I've seen a few people state he is overpowered, it's true he could be subjected to abuse by power gamers. However I try to use modest, balanced, thematic forces and feel it allows for the perfectly executed ambush. This in turn matches the vision I have in my head for our beloved Olive Drab Skink'abouts.

In fact it's fits better (imho) than the old Chapter Tactics. I always took the fluff about us having some of the best marksmen to mean that we were capable of excelling further in the art of the sniper than other chapters. As opposed to every single marine (and scouts) being automatically better shots. I felt myself turning into a Boromir meme. "One does not simply become a good shot because of the geneseed!" It takes dedication and and and I'm rambling aren't I?

Its just I'm so happy. From a lot of things I've read recently, there seems to be a fear of individual chapters loosing their own flavour. I'm thankful that with The Grim leading us we will retain that.

i think its unfair to say he is OP considering the obvious weaknesses in most chapters. it wouldn't be an issue if transports were cheaper or other chapters had practical and comparable buffs available on the cheap. personally im leaning towards asterion moloc for suicide charges but thats a subject for another thread.