Two 750point games

I played 2 games of 750 points against Nids (my old enemy) and Elder last night. I thought I'd pop some thoughts down.

We olayed Killpoint games to keep it simple

Against the Nids

I had

WP on bike

2 x 3 TWC ss, th/ss, basic

5 GH chainswords

Razorback TLAC

5 Scouts snipers

He had something like

Hive tyrant

Carnoflex

25 devilgaunts

20 hormagaunts

3 hive warriors

1 hive guard.

I went first (that was new. Against hoard armies you are likely to go first because you will finish deploying before they do).

I basically piled in.

Wow are those TWC survivable. The priest healing them was BRILLIANT. I'd have him over a WGBL/Lord or Harald/canis. (Both would be good of course)

The razorback was Ok. Not great. But using it aggressively to get into combat and tie a unit up while the TWC killed his other stuff worked well. (I was late realising I could do that).

In the end I tabled the Nids with ease to be honest.

Against the Elder.

I had

Arjac

5 termies 1ss. AC

5 GH razorback TLAC

5 Wulfen th/ss, pack leader claws

(From the start this seemed a weaker army)

He had

3 wraith knights (I think. Big buggers with 10 wounds each)

8 wraith warrior guys (can't remember name). They had d3 flames with str10 and ap-4! They were MENTAL.

I deep struck the termies in a stupid place and they got wiped. I won the game end turn 7 by the skin of my teeth. I rolled ridiculously well for saves, he rolled ridiculously badly.

Realistically I should have been vaporized turn 3.

What I learnt.

Flames are ridiculous. Flame the enemy, they then assault you, flame them in overwatch.

Those elder guys can then back out of combat and repeat! D3 str10 ap-4 auto hits per person!

Our WG bikers can't have as good flames, but I wonder if combi flames are going to be better than plasma.

Arjac was a BEAST. He killed 2 of those Wraith knights on his own (that's 20 wounds)!

Overall .... we look good in 8th. Still got lots of the good stuff we had. TWC are still great (the wolf attacks are actually really good) and I loved the Wolfpriest.

HDL

Edited by Hear da Lamentation

I just played a 50 power level (1300pts ish) game in store. I got randomly paired against a couple of renegade knights. On top of that, we were on a small board because of space. Needless to say it didn't go well for the wolves.

My list was

Lord on TW

TWC, 2 Claws and a hammer.

2 units of grey Hunters in las/plas razorbacks

One with melta and one with plasma

A unit of long fangs, 3 missiles 1 Lascannon.

He had a Knight warden and Knight crusader

las/plas Razorbacks were great, they did the most damage before being stomped on. Fangs did the next most, missiles are surprisingly good. I think they will be staying in my list.

TWC, not against knights. They could have reliabily taken out a Knight last edition, but not so much in this one. Good thing was they felt alot more survivable against knights though. I lost one to shooting and they didn't take any damage in combat. Ended the game early as something else was going on in store, but if it had carried on I'm pretty sure I would have lost.

@ Valerian

[...]

Against the Elder.
I had
Arjac
5 termies 1ss. AC
5 GH razorback TLAC
5 Wulfen th/ss, pack leader claws
(From the start this seemed a weaker army)

He had
3 wraith knights (I think. Big buggers with 10 wounds each)
8 wraith warrior guys (can't remember name). They had d3 flames with str10 and ap-4! They were MENTAL.

[...]

I was refering to OP.

You'll be right Immer. I don't know Eldar units do I was going from memory on what they had. Good shooting alright combat but those 10 wounds took some dealing with.

It was the flamer guys who were the most badass though.

HDL

Well, it is refreshing to hear that the Wraithlord is actually played. Then again, 600pts for a fully geared Wraithknight is a tall order :D

How did the Wulfen do? On paper they seem like an auto-include in every list short of a dedicated gunline.

They were great. Their move is really good, faster than TWC usually.

(I made a mistake and bought a SS on its own for one of them. That actually really helped in their survivabilty. But of course you can only choose TH/SS, which is a massive shame).

There seems so much armour negating stuff out there SS are even more important than before. This is where TWC shine over Wulfen (even though their's are 15points). The 5+ fnp on the Wulfen is good though.

HDL

3 Wraith Knights? I believe you mean Wraith Lords. The former would not fit in 750p.

He does mean Wraithlords ;) List was

Spiritseer

5x Wraithguard w/ D-Scythes

Wraithlord w/ 2x Shuriken Cannons, 2x Shuriken Pistols, Sword

Wraithlord w/ 2x Starcannon, 2x Shuriken Pistols, Sword

Wraithlord w/ 2x Shuriken Cannons, 2x Shuriken Pistols, Sword

HDL is a jammy git when rolling 3++ saves ;) Took multiple Smites to take Arjac down after being in combat with 3 Wraithlords for 2(3?) turns

@Immersturm Wulfen still seem incredibly powerful, survivable and strong damage output. Was a good match between them and the D-Scythe Wraithguard.