Land Raider Ares 8th Edition Datasheet: Updated 12/20/2018

Brother Bish

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With the Landraider VDR coming soon, wonder if a demolisher cannon will be an option so we will have an official house rule unit for casual play. lol

Still this is awesome.

I'm sad to say that I've seen the Land Raider VDR and you cannot make an Ares with it. Not to mention the VDR themselves are very disappointing.

So I'll be leaving the Ares Datasheet as it is on my website, either way you would need your opponent's permission.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sad to say that I've seen the Land Raider VDR and you cannot make an Ares with it. Not to mention the VDR themselves are very disappointing.

So I'll be leaving the Ares Datasheet as it is on my website, either way you would need your opponent's permission.

Things like the the Ares should be what the VDR is for.  I feel what we got is too restrictive.

• 1 month later...

Things like the the Ares should be what the VDR is for. I feel what we got is too restrictive.

I've been toying with making my own home brew VDR, we'll see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Bish - I'd have to concur with you on this, I had a look through the Chapter Approved book in store with high hopes of seeing some VDR possibilities, I mean the points cost for almost every weapon in the marine arsenal is listed in the Codex or Index, how hard could it be to make some interesting Land Raider variants?!

Sponson Typhoon Missiles, hull mounted Avenger Mega Bolters, Hurricane Bolters made up of Plasma Talons,.. the possibilities were there, even if you had to do some data-math to have a close estimate to the points cost of a specific weapon.

Which kinda brings me to another point,.. 269 for the Ares,.. seems kinda low,.. 

By Default the Demolisher would be incorporated, which I figure would be about 289,.. and that's not erring on the side of caution what with the Demolisher comboing with the Machine Spirit.

Not trying to be a complete wet blanket/stick in the mud,.. but as another hobbiest who is very interested in VDR, and VDR Land Raiders in particular,.. I was just wondering how you came up with 269 as a points cost.

Bish - I'd have to concur with you on this, I had a look through the Chapter Approved book in store with high hopes of seeing some VDR possibilities, I mean the points cost for almost every weapon in the marine arsenal is listed in the Codex or Index, how hard could it be to make some interesting Land Raider variants?!

Sponson Typhoon Missiles, hull mounted Avenger Mega Bolters, Hurricane Bolters made up of Plasma Talons,.. the possibilities were there, even if you had to do some data-math to have a close estimate to the points cost of a specific weapon.

Which kinda brings me to another point,.. 269 for the Ares,.. seems kinda low,.. 

By Default the Demolisher would be incorporated, which I figure would be about 289,.. and that's not erring on the side of caution what with the Demolisher comboing with the Machine Spirit.

Not trying to be a complete wet blanket/stick in the mud,.. but as another hobbiest who is very interested in VDR, and VDR Land Raiders in particular,.. I was just wondering how you came up with 269 as a points cost.

Its 21PL so about 420 points. Seems a decent price.

Hey Project!

First off, hey man, it's been a really long time! How are you doing??

So to your question, somewhere I have notes but I'm not finding them right at the moment so here is to the best of my memory how I came up with the points and power level costs.

When I first made the Ares for the GW Article back in 2007, I pointed it up quite high because I didn't want to be accused of making something really powerful at low cost. But then the Ares was criticized for being too expensive This time I wanted to make sure I got it pointed as accuratly as I could.

The Demolisher Canon is the hardest thing to come up with a points cost for because it doesn't have one in any of the 8th edition books. So I looked at other vehicles and the other Land Raiders and made some arbitrary decisions about what costs might be.

A Land Raider with no weapons, that has troop carrying capabilities and machine spirit costs 239

The closest weapon to the Demolisher that has a points cost is a las-talon at 40 points. I upped it to 50 points for the added strength and it's abilities entry.

Land Raider base = 239
+ Demolisher  = 50
Total = 289
- 20 for no troop carrying capabilities.
= 269

All together with all the basic weaponry it comes out to 407 points.

At the time I also then looked at the cost of the Terminus Ultra in the Index book. It was 400 points including wargear. After Chapter Approved it comes out to 485 with all the wargear.
In my estimation the Ares is nowhere near as powerful as the Terminus Ultra so the final points costs seemed pretty reasonable to me.

For Power Level the general consensus is that 1 power level = approx 18-20 points. I compared that to the power level of the other Land Raiders and the various options of the Ares and adjusted it to where I thought it fit.

It may not be perfect but I think it's a pretty fair price in comparison to other Land Raiders and for what the Ares can and cant do.

Bish - It HAS been a long time, last I remember you were in,.. Texas?  If your info is accurate now though, you're right across the Ambassador, in Michigan a few hours away!  I've been lurking about for what feels like a decade, raising a family while taking a step back from the hobby, 5th got missed, 6th and 7th dabbled, but nothing serious.  The better-half upon hearing 8th was being released gave me the push to dive back in and enjoy the hobby again.  Some things I'm completely enjoying; AV is gone, plasma isn't so volatile, rules are simplified,.. while other things I'm having a hard time adjusting to; GW changed their paint line, Mortal Wounds, rules being simplified, Primaris Marines,.. LoL.

All in all I'm getting behind GW's push to get these Codicies out like wildfire, kudos to them and I wish them godspeed.

Now, the Ares,.. firstly with the utmost sincerity,.. I would dare not criticise your judgement on points cost,.. this has been your much loved contribution to the 40k universe for over a decade,.. and it may be the post-work wobbly-pops talking,.. but no one would know it better than yourself.

The Demolisher Canon is the hardest thing to come up with a points cost for because it doesn't have one in any of the 8th edition books. So I looked at other vehicles and the other Land Raiders and made some arbitrary decisions about what costs might be.

The closest weapon to the Demolisher that has a points cost is a las-talon at 40 points. I upped it to 50 points for the added strength and it's abilities entry.

Land Raider base = 239
+ Demolisher  = 50
Total = 289
- 20 for no troop carrying capabilities.
= 269

From the points you made, it is not like I was completely crazy with my 289 initial assessment,.. I also came to the same conclusion that a Demolisher Cannon would be 50 points, but I 'data mined' (if that makes any sense) that off of comparing Rhino Hulls and stripping them down to the bare bones if I could.

eg;

Rhino Chassis Ia - Rhinos and Razorbacks

Rhino Chassis Ib - Whirlwind and Predator

Rhino Chassis IIa - Hunter, Stalker and Vindicator

In each category one or more can be stripped down to bare hull, thus weapons that aren't listed in points value can be somewhat figured out (Demolisher).

Now it's not a full-proof method,.. I'm still working on the Plasma Storm Battery,..

That being said, my rifling off 289 was incorporating the VDR from Chapter Approved, which if I recall doesn't rescind points for transport reduction for strapping weapons on that would deminish transport capacity,.. which certainly a Demolisher would.

Now with that,.. I'll just politely shut my gob and look forward to either GW's approval of this LR Variant, or an expanded VDR.

Good to hear you are doing well! I was in Texas, then Maryland when I was on the GW Web Team and now I'm here in Michigan which is where I was born. Met my wife, we have a one year old, I'm a stay at home dad currently hehe. I mostly stayed out of the hobby after leaving GW, I was totally burnt out, but 8th and the new direction of GW has brought me back, and I've been working on updating my Dark Angels and building another more "chaosy" army. When my family and I get into a bigger house (hopefully soon) I'm planning on getting a lot more active on here and on my website.

I totally see what your saying about points. It's made doubly hard because there isn't absolute consistency over everything when trying to compare with others. Also the Demolisher Cannon isn't quite as great as it was in previous editions. Or so I've been told, I admit I have not actually played a game in 8th yet to know that first hand. I've been so busy with the kid and most of my miniatures were in storage until just recently. The other thing to keep in mind is that really the Ares is never going to be a general use tank like a regular Land Raider. And that's ok too.

I'm glad to have these discussions, I have been very open to criticisms and I'm totally not above making changes. It's gone through many revisions already and I do need to take some time and revisit it when I have a moment.

I will be ecstatic if they ever make really good VDR rules.

Project XXVIII is back!.... Project XXVIII is back!.... Project XXVIII is back!.... Project XXVIII is back!.... Bish is back again!..... Project XXVIII is back!.... Bish is back again......Project XXVIII is back!.... Bish posted thrice on the same page!.... er.... ummm.... 

Great to see you two stalwarts of the Inner Circle back here

Project XXVIII: It has indeed been a long long time.... but don't feel bad about being a lurker  for a while.... for comparison I played 2ED, dabbled in 3ED, wondered about 4ED, saw 5ED, 6ED and 7ED flash by and am barely keeping pace with the 8ED codexes....

Bish: That Ares of yours has been an all time favourite of mine and I'm not bothered by the points cost .... as I am pretty sure I'll never play another game of 40K until i retire.... :huh.: but the next ETL competition will be one that I intend to paint my Land raiders... and believe me there are a lot of them in boxes in my cup board and pride of place will be an Ares!!! ::blush.:

SG

I know Shadow! As soon as I saw Project, I was thinking, hmm maybe it's time we got the Inner Circle back together for a "Gathering of Angels II". Especially if the Lion returns in the near future. ;P

My plans once my family and I get moved into a bigger place (Hopefully later this year) is to start up a twitch.tv painting/modeling channel for Chamber42 and start painting up the backlog of miniatures I've had sitting around for ages. I've always enjoyed that aspect of the hobby the most and that seems like a good way to pass on my knowledge.

Edited by Brother Bish

• 4 weeks later...

Whoops,.. 3 weeks went by, but in my defence I got to play a few games and get a feel for 8th, as well as get some painting done (slowly).  And somewhere along the line I got distracted by Pathfinder and some Titan Mauler build.

Shadow - How have you been it has indeed been too long.  We need to catch up, but we're probably treading pretty close to "Hi-Jacking the Thread", and getting ourselves in trouble, I'll shoot you a PM soon.

Bish - One thing I do want to ask you about, is did you at any point weigh various weapon load outs by "logical canon".  For example, the default LR has weapons that draw off of the power plant (TLLCs), and armaments that would be fed by ammunition hoppers (TLHB).  If one were to say go full on Energy Weapons, do you feel the need to limit transport capacity to represent the increase to power plant size, or introduce "random shutdown" rules, etc.

Myself I'm always tossing around various LR or Rhino Chassis variants, but I always feel the need to keep weapon layouts a mix of energy and kinetic.

We should get "The Gathering II" going, the Codex could use a bit of polish if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...

Bish - One thing I do want to ask you about, is did you at any point weigh various weapon load outs by "logical canon".  For example, the default LR has weapons that draw off of the power plant (TLLCs), and armaments that would be fed by ammunition hoppers (TLHB).  If one were to say go full on Energy Weapons, do you feel the need to limit transport capacity to represent the increase to power plant size, or introduce "random shutdown" rules, etc.

Myself I'm always tossing around various LR or Rhino Chassis variants, but I always feel the need to keep weapon layouts a mix of energy and kinetic.

Honestly, I had not thought about that, but it's a good idea. I limited the Ares transport capacity because it would need room for the Demolisher Shell taking up crew space, as a Vindicator does vs a Rhino.

• 4 weeks later...

Bish - We’ll I figured the Demo Cannon would put a hamper on transport capacity, LoL.

I was just as you were when the VDR was announced in the latest CA. Excited for the possibilities, then disappointed at the outcome. I only hope it’s a starting point for future expansions. It wouldn’t be hard,.. the points cost for almost every weapon is present already,.. almost a simple plug and play using the previously hashed out rules.

• 8 months later...

Early Merry Christmas Brothers!

12/20/2018 UPDATED LAND RAIDER ARES DATASHEET TO VERSION 1.7 PLEASE RE-DOWNLOAD FOR LATEST VERSION. Version number can be found on bottom right of the document.

Change Log:

• Ver. 1.7 – Adjusted Ares points to reflect changes to Land Raiders in Chapter Approved 2018, Complete redesign of Datasheet PDF to fix issues with text not appearing in some PDF Readers and browsers.
  • Ver. 1.6 - Minor layout changes.
  • Ver. 1.5 - Changed Demolisher Canon Damage attribute to D6, added "unofficial" stamp, removed white background only version.
  • Ver. 1.4 - Added text "This datasheet can be from any Space Marine Chapter."
  • Ver. 1.3 - Spelling fixes and added Dozer Ram melee weapon.
  • Ver. 1.2 - Internal Changes.
  • Ver. 1.1 - Various spelling and wording fixes.

Click on the image below to download the datasheets. (If the link doesn't work, such as on mobile, you can get it at Chamber 42 here.)

http://www.chamber42.com/files/datasheets/Ares/Latest/Ares-tease-600-new.jpg

Edited by Brother Bish

• 4 months later...

Just a note for the purging of old posts, I keep this thread up to date as changes happen to the rules, all links are up to date. :smile.:

This thread should honestly be in the Dark Angels Resources thread that's pinned, seriously :laugh.:

I do have a question though. Wouldn't replacing the Heavy Flamers with Flamestorm Cannons from the Land Raider Redeemer also work quite well?

Edited by Gederas

This thread should honestly be in the Dark Angels Resources thread that's pinned, seriously :laugh.:

I do have a question though. Wouldn't replacing the Heavy Flamers with Flamestorm Cannons from the Land Raider Redeemer also work quite well?

It probably should, although I also like keeping this thread as a way to let people know when any changes are made.

The option for Flamestorm Cannons is on the datasheet already.

The original Ares from 2007 was before the Redeemer came out. Had Flamestorms been available back then, they probably would have been the default.

Edited by Brother Bish

It probably should, although I also like keeping this thread as a way to let people know when any changes are made.

The option for Flamestorm Cannons is on the datasheet already.

The original Ares from 2007 was before the Redeemer came out. Had Flamestorms been available back then, they probably would have been the default.

Well.... Shame on me for only skimming over the datasheet :lol:

• 2 months later...