hospitaller question

Fluff wise they are nurses/ medics/ doctors at MASH units, while the apothecaries and Astra Militarium medics are similar to corps men. So it makes sense they would not be armed.

I find it much more likely that Hospitallers would carry a weapon than not.  A sidearm would not interfere with their duties on the battlefield and would still give them some self protection.

Historically, medics and corpsmen don't carry weapons because they are noncombatants, and aren't supposed to be deliberately targeted by the enemy.  Up until recently, that has held true, at least in traditional wars.

In 40K we have Dark Eldar, Chaos, Orks, Necrons, Genestealers and Tyranids.  I really doubt that they care that much about the Rules of War and the difference between combatants and noncombatants.

I find it much more likely that Hospitallers would carry a weapon than not.  A sidearm would not interfere with their duties on the battlefield and would still give them some self protection.

Historically, medics and corpsmen don't carry weapons because they are noncombatants, and aren't supposed to be deliberately targeted by the enemy.  Up until recently, that has held true, at least in traditional wars.

In 40K we have Dark Eldar, Chaos, Orks, Necrons, Genestealers and Tyranids.  I really doubt that they care that much about the Rules of War and the difference between combatants and noncombatants.

The dataslate for the Hospitaller shows only Chiurgeon's Tools, no ballistic weapons.

As for real world medics, in the US Army they do carry firearms; they are to protect the wounded in their care.