Kua’s Crowing Conversions – 1st and Reserve Companies forces

Kua

Remember what I said?

Next will be, probably, a Landspeeder.

I lied, as always in WIP projects.

Instead you get some WIP Carsoran Pattern power axe interpretations:

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2017_07/E-Axt-1.JPG.fa3b0e60ef7df079c035b7c65b9848e3.JPG

“Carsoran” is supposed to be the predecessor pattern to this one, but not further described or shown. I’m trying an interpretation of it.

Next, for the tactical squad shown above, what sergeant or squad leader (there will be both) body would you recommend?

I wouldn’t like having the original DV sergeant leading this squad because of his Mk-8 armour.

I have some old sergeants with power fists and I will decide whether I’ll use them at all after I see the Codex coming this month. But I also need a squad leader model, and I have the following bunch of veteran/sternguard bodies:

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2017_07/595ec4e3cd48a_Veteranen1.JPG.58a2ba5f55bfd3bd58345976c29f05a8.JPG

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2017_07/595ec4eaba232_Veteranen2.JPG.c5b554d4bee43ee00b550c5d03960f48.JPG

My thoughts on them so far, numbered as above:

1. has a Crux Terminatus on the shoulder, belongs in the 1st Co.
  2. could get a beaky helmet as the rest of the unit and fit well, while he doesn’t fit into the Sternguard due to the cloak unless as a character (sergeant) there. One of the favourites for the squad leader job currently.
  3. A rather usual Mk7 armour. Only the pose is somewhat special, but he is probably wrong in this squad. Also, he seems as he had a right hand at some poind, does anyone recognize what the model is from? It’s from 1998.
  4. A rather usual Mk6 armour. Better. But painted there won’t be any difference to the rest of the squad apart from the armament, so probably a waste here.
  5. An overly decorated Mk6 for a tec squad, I’d say. On the other hand, he is armed with a chainsword (Sternguard have none), so his only other options would be one of the Company Veterans (if there will be built any on foot), a Sternguard sergeant or… some other sergeant, like here.
  6. A medium decorated Mk6. Maybe another one of the favourites.
  7. A richly decorated Mk7. Well…

So, your recommendations?

Edited by Kua

About #3, his right hand is supposed to hold a power axe. The model can be seen in the background of a pic I the HHotE thread with my Primaris LT.

Anyways, his pose is slightly "heroic" to me, suggesting a leader. Yet, he is obviously void of special markings inherent to the model.

Ah, thx, with this info I found him!

http://store.wargamingtrader.com/system/files/imagecache/product_full/M3125%20-%20Space%20Marine%20Veteran%20Sergeant%20with%20Poweraxe%20%2798%20%20%20%20%2012-07-23.jpg

There he is listed as a vet sergeant. Probably at that time the minis are just less stuffed with details.

A shame he has lost the axe, it looks decent and fits the model.

Now with this being settled, what squad leader would you recommend for the beaked unit?

Are you sure and have you considered his pose?

I mean whether it would fit the rest of the rather static unit.

I made new photos for this purpose, showing the two favourites with the unit (I could have chosen a better angle for No. 6, I assume):

Hidden Content
gallery_68764_13268_177530.jpg

gallery_68764_13268_37007.jpg

gallery_68764_13268_167798.jpg

gallery_68764_13268_73329.jpg

gallery_68764_13268_64710.jpg

gallery_68764_13268_583911.jpg

I concur on #6.

The pose can simply be explained by the fact that Space Marine squad leaders lead from the front. As such, he would be the first to begin moving.

With that in mind, I'd consider modeling him making a "follow me" gesture.

Hah, just what I was thinking about a minute ago before I clicked into the thread. ^^

I mean the gesture.

The vote is quite clear then, thx.

Another question would be:

How would you imagine best using the guy with the cloak?

Sergeant for another unit?

Or in other words: Who amongst Ravens could wear a cloak?

Ah, the only response I have to the question is someone closer to the Imperial faith than his fellow brethren. He is still a SM of course, but just has a "streak" to him, just below zealot. You know, less than a Dark Angel and way less than a Black Templar, but more than average.

I’m OK with devs. :)

But on the other hand:

The company vets on bikes, built around the DV Ravenwing bikes, will have a cloak-dressed sergeant.

So if I am ever going to build a footslogging/droplanding company vet squad, this would be the chance to, kind of, make the same character without a bike.

Hm… I guess I’ll have to decide when actually making them. It could turn out that the old cloak marine is too little decorated to be the leader of a squad with much more swag hanging to all sides – depending on what models they will get.

For footslogging veterans the candidates are either the sternguard models from the photos above, the command squad kit from GW I… seem to posses in an older variation, without the Solaq model apparently included there, or the Forgeworld veteran upgrade kit a Ravenguard player inevitably has to buy at least once someday. Also I’ll need their special ammo bolters for the sternguard anyway.

(I’m writing this partly for myself, just ignore if anyone is only here for the pics. ^^)

Anyway, if my memory doesn’t wrong me, you like… ah, here it is:

That's going old school and I love it!

Since you all are so nice helping me decide, soon there will be something really old school to show. :happy.:

Next will be, probably, a Landspeeder.
Since you all are so nice helping me decide, soon there will be something really old school to show. :happy.:

Not lied this time.

gallery_68764_13268_379058.jpggallery_68764_13268_344794.jpg

gallery_68764_13268_399706.jpg

gallery_68764_13268_559553.jpg

gallery_68764_13268_269827.jpg

gallery_68764_13268_145965.jpg

gallery_68764_13268_174323.jpg

gallery_68764_13268_415588.jpg

gallery_68764_13268_254766.jpg

gallery_68764_13268_547836.jpg

But why are there some weapons in two copies?

Hidden Content
gallery_68764_13268_498792.jpg

Unfortunately I didn’t pledge this one for the HHotE, and I won’t because there are too many other pledges unfinished.

But this is what I was doing the last time in… secret.

The multi-melta for low mount point is still missing, because I lacked some some of the newer methods when I started making it years ago all by hand and now I’ll have to finish it this way.

And now the important question:

What should the pilot do with his left arm?

Whaaaat?! Dude, this wins the thread so far. I loved and hated this model back in the day. I dare say I threw mine away when the new model was released ....

For the pilot arm, what about the Tactical Squad pointer? Like him saying, "we're going that way, buckle up buttercup".

I don't know why but I love that model, been tempted to buy one for a while.

...and I'm shamelessly going to steal the way to model your raven skulls. I've been sitting here for a few minutes admiring them, and looks so much better than the ones I've tried to make. Looks like an easier way to do them as well compared to how I've been trying. 

I always model my pilot flipping some one off.....I still need to do that for one of my Raptors LS.....I mean give him a bolt pistol for drive by shootings....

Thanks you all. ^^

This makes the effort with the weapons worth it.

(They really were some…)

...and I'm shamelessly going to steal the way to model your raven skulls. I've been sitting here for a few minutes admiring them, and looks so much better than the ones I've tried to make. Looks like an easier way to do them as well compared to how I've been trying. 

You might not know everything.

First – see the tactical marine’s shoulder above – I was modelling them all by hand after pinning a… pin, or wire, to the part they are supposed to be.

But for this one I bought an Edryc (from the Deathwatch box) and copied some raven heads from his armour with instant mould. You could do the same with some FW RG veteran models or after modelling a skull by hand first. It just happened to be Edryc here.

As for the left hand:

Yes, the options with pointing with a finger or bolt pistol was the ones I, too, was thinking about, but since there are two LS, maybe there is a idea more different from these.