Necron tactics

Harrowmaster

20 tesla shots needing a 2+ to hit has an average result of 26 hits, so I'd say you're just extraordinarily lucky with them.

26 hits turns into 17 wounds, and against 3+ saves should result in 6 wounds.

Compared to gauss at the same range and dice needed, it's 4 wounds.

However, once you get into rapid fire range that increases to 8 wounds, where the Tesla efficiency doesn't change. Considering most games will now happen at very short ranges due to the speed of assault units, I'd pick the predictable Gauss over the Tesla.

Something is off in your math.  20 tesla shots with a +1 bonus averages 30 hits.  Each shot has a 3/6 chance of 1 hit, and a 2/6 chance of 3 hits.  That's an average of 1.5 hits per shot.

I ran the numbers on this a little while back, and Tesla is always as good or better at long range whether they have the bonus to hit or not.  With the bonus, Gauss is only better at close range vs 3+ and better saves.  Without MWBD Tesla is on par with Gauss at close range vs 5+ saves and only better against 6+ saves.

I think Tesla is better overall, since you can advance while firing and inv saves mitigate or bypass the only benefit of Gauss.

I think a shooting Necron army supported by crypteks and ghost arks will be very strong, melee not so much at all. It really depends on whether or not you choose to build an army that capitalises on the strength of the army list.

I'm not so sure.  Flayed Ones, Lynchguard, Praetorians, and Scarabs all got a boost in 8E, and the scarabs got cheaper as well.

The problem is that they also seem really specialized.  FO's murder hordes, Lynch and Praetorians kill more elite troops/vehicles, and scarabs are for really big stuff.

What 'big stuff' do you think Scarabs are going to kill? I charged a Morkanaut and did 1 wound with 7 bases thanks to a 3+ save. Don't get me wrong, I tied the sucker up and forced it to fall back or fight in another combat and that was the point but yeah...definitely not taking out huge things at all based off that experience.

I plan on adding to my current squad of Lychguard, and intend on using them behind my Scarabs and in front of my Warriors since they can fall back from a combat without sacrificing any shooting. Maybe anyway. Flayed Ones look way more useful in this edition, but still best used against single wound models I'd wager.

Actually, in my few test games, the scarabs seem way worse than previously. They used to reduce AV, which meant that against vehicles you were probably wounding better than a 5+. Each base on average used to strip 2 AV off of a vehicle, permanently. Now they just wound it on a 5+ with no AP mod, and even the squishiest vehicle has a 4+ armor save. They still have uses in a fairly cheap, fast moving distraction/screen, but their damage output has plummeted.

Actually, in my few test games, the scarabs seem way worse than previously. They used to reduce AV, which meant that against vehicles you were probably wounding better than a 5+. Each base on average used to strip 2 AV off of a vehicle, permanently. Now they just wound it on a 5+ with no AP mod, and even the squishiest vehicle has a 4+ armor save. They still have uses in a fairly cheap, fast moving distraction/screen, but their damage output has plummeted.

Scarabs did not reduce AV in the previous codex.

For the point cost of a Morkanaut, you can take 27 scarab swarms, which will do an average 8.1 wounds to said Morkanaut each fight phase.  Even if you don't kill it, they'll provide 108 wounds to tar pit it with, which will hold it in melee for an average 8.1 fight phases if it doesn't get damaged and degrade.

In 7E, you only get 10 scarab swarms for the cost of a Morkanaut, and while they were equally good against vehicles, they had barely any chance to injure MCs and died in droves due to ID.  Now they're just as useful against a Carnifex as a Morkanaut.

Cost efficiency is what makes scarabs great now.

I think the Triarch Praetorians auto passing morale is very decent, they're a tad expensive though and cant seriously harm top tier elite troops like our gun-walls can but if they appear from an unexpected angle, and get in shooting before charge, they could really hold a unit up and seriously damage it in a suicide charge

So, having an overlord, a few boxes of warriors, and a stalker I was wondering: preatorians or lychguard? I'm stuck between the higher movement but lack of [dynasty] or the warsythes.

What's people's thoughts?

(And please mind my terrible speeling.)

Edited by shandwen

My preference lies with sword and shield Lychguard. S5 vs. S7 is inconsequential in most instances since both will wound a T8 vehicle/creature on a 5+ and the 4+ invulnerable save makes a big difference. The nudge of AP is negligible; I find most things with a 2+ save have an invuln or other type of save anyway. Praetorians I never really liked but that has nothing to do with rules and everything to do with me liking Wraiths, Scarabs, and Destroyers more for fast moving stuff.

I've always enjoyed Praetorians as a rare source of AP2 in the army. Combined with blistering speed and chunky toughness, it was always a good, if expensive unit.

Now, they've lost 2" in speed but still kept their shooting and choppy value. The only characters with auras that will interact with them are Anrakyr and Szeras, but that's not the worst considering they're decent characters. 

Depends. Do you want character protectors or more sources of low AP and speed?

I guess I plan on using them as counter chargers, which the extra movement helps possibly far more than dynasty.

If I had anything to Port the guys around the warsythes would probably be able to reach out and reliably get to the enemy, but with foot slogging it the guys seem better suited to counter punch.

My preference lies with sword and shield Lychguard. S5 vs. S7 is inconsequential in most instances since both will wound a T8 vehicle/creature on a 5+ and the 4+ invulnerable save makes a big difference. The nudge of AP is negligible; I find most things with a 2+ save have an invuln or other type of save anyway. Praetorians I never really liked but that has nothing to do with rules and everything to do with me liking Wraiths, Scarabs, and Destroyers more for fast moving stuff.

Ok, so I smell what you're stepping in, but buying the shields seems like a waste when their ability deals mortal wounds to themselves... right?  Or do you just not use them to guard characters?

I've gotten huge mileage out of sword n board Lychguard so far. A unit of 10 backed up with an overlord has been a big threat that has never failed to hold the center of the board. They have been key protecting my gunline and brutal when I put them on the offensive. They've eaten two primais squads and a gravis Captain at the same time. Today they ate an exalted sorc, 10 berserkers, a rhino, and 8 rubric marines.

The shields keep the models alive so they're around to take those mortal wounds, and so long as one of the characters they're guarding is a Cryptek or has a resurrection orb I see no waste there.

That's a good point I hadn't considered.  I have a box of Lychguard I haven't built yet due to having no free time, but I'm going to try to get them built up today, so I think I'll try out the sword and shield option.

I'll be honest, I modeled them as such because when I looked at the sprue I knew I needed those shields in my army. They were a bit meh in the games I played using them in 7th but I am quite looking forward to getting paint on them and using them in 8th.

I love the lychguard. They are expensive for a 10 man unit but it's one hell of an anvil. 
I just can't decide between sword/board or scythes. 

The extra strength doesn't matter much, and the difference between AP-3 and AP-4 isn't huge either, but the 2 damage on the scythes vs the 1 damage on the swords is significant. And there's a 7pt difference in weapon load outs (with sword/board being more expensive).... If they were the same price I'd take the shields every time. But there's is a cost saving for the sycthes.... Probably comes down to what size game you end up playing. It's not that easy to fit in a 300 or 370pt unit in smaller games. 

Plus I'm not a massive fan of the shields, visually. 

Edited by Inquisitorsz

Anyone else notice Necrons have a strange lack of high damage weaponry, and what we do have is relatively high priced for the damage potential? My dice have been mutinous bastards, to be sure, but I'm finding that two Heavy Destroyers and a Doom Scythe just aren't able to reliably do damage thanks do their random nature. When I look at the weapon summary we have those two options as well as Triarch Stalkers and the Doomsday Ark as our main multi-damage output options and they're all random. How are other people finding their ability to deal with high wound and toughness targets these days?

I play 40 Warriors and 10 gauss Immortals in a group around my Cryptek and Overlord at 1500 points and it struggles to put wounds on T8, T7 you start to do damage but not enough to put things right down without completely disregarding all other threats.

Necron high power weapons?

- Death Ray (Doom Scythe)

- Doomsday Cannon (Doomsday Ark)

- Eldritch Lance (Szeras)

- Heat Ray (Stalker)

- Particle Shredder (Stalker)

- Heavy Gauss Cannon (Stalker, Heavy Destroyer)

- Particle Whip (Monolith)

- Tachyon Arrow (Anrakyr)

As an army, they've ALWAYS had sturdy but not exotic guns; 8th is no different.

The character weapons are always surprising to opponents. Szeras' lance is the best because you can use it every turn, plus he's a Cryptek, another decent boost to the army overall. I'd take him in place of a Cryptek every time.

Unlike other 'blast' weapons, the Monolith's particle whip is an "Always rolled a 6 for shots", giving it a decent shot at causing more damage.

The Stalker provides the most AT options, it's just that you only get one. In this case, I'd always take the Heat Ray for its dual utility and higher damage average.

Personally though, there's a reason I own 6 Heavy Destroyers, and it's totally for providing real heavy firepower. Sure, the squad of three increased by 75 points, but they gained a good amount of rules over regular dudes that I think it's more than worth it. They're also a bit faster than before, which is nice. Combine it with a Destroyer Lord for more rerolls, and Szeras for more shooting and even more layered defense, and you have a really hard firebase to overcome.

At 1850 I have in my list 3 heavy Gauss, a stalker with particle Cannon, and Scarabs. I've taken on a list with two Ironclads and a Redeemer and done alright. As in 7th, crons have to supplement their heavy anti tank with our high range ant infantry weapons. Str 5 is golden because most vehicles sit from t6 to t8, which blasters always would on a five. When you start talking about immortals buffed by an overlord, you are going to strip Hull points in rapid fire range. Same with tomb blades. Our big weakness is armor that stays at range. Without rapid fire support, our AT does struggle against things like predators.

I just find heavy destroyers way to expensive.

75 pts for a single lascannon shot?

Not worth it.

The particle shredder and tesla destructers are basically all I've used to kill tanks.

A particle shredder stalker+20 warriors had no problem knocking rhinos out in a single shooting phase.

While the tesla doesn't cause multiple damage or have AP, when you cause that many str 7 hits, stuff is going to fail saves.

And then you finish stuff off with copious amounts of gauss fire.

Szeras is also a good choice to add a pinch of long ranged AT.

• 2 weeks later...

Having used Flayed Ones, my beliefs are confirmed that they are very good with a slow army. They distract and take your opponent's attention away from the more important units, and make a real good mess of things too.

Two key takeaways from the 1.1 FAQ:

- Monoliths now hit on a 3+ again! So good!

- Models that flee are destroyed forever, no reanimation protocols.