So Stormsurge or 2 Broadsides?

depthcharge12

Trying to discuss some tactics for a new list I'm building - I think the Stormsurge is awesome for the firepower it brings at its point cost, though I'm wondering if two Broadsides with 3 missile drones can give it a run for its money:

402 points

Stormsurge-

• pulse blastcannon

• 4 destroyer missiles (d3 mortal wounds)

• 4d6 cluster missile shots

• 2 smart missile systems (8 S5 shots)

• 2 flamers (more for overwatch than anything)

• advanced targeting (-1 AP), early warning override, velocity tracker

Definitely has weight of shots and is an absolute beast. However, it has to use its anchors to be effective and looks like a prime target for first turn assaults if I'm not careful.

402 points

2 broadside battlesuits w/3 missile drones-

• 4 heavy railgun shots (plus extra mortal wounds, almost better than the blastcannon)

• 4 plasma guns (can you say 8 rapid fire shots at 12" at S6 AP-3?)

• multi trackers (can't always hope my pathfinders will survive)

• 2 seeker missiles (2 mortal wounds? Sign me up)

• 3 missile drones (6 S7 AP-1 d3 damage shots)

I feel like the Stormsurge has weight of fire but has such an amazing gun that gets better closer up, especially in a game set that is emphasizing getting up close and personal. However, the Broadsides have a better save and have better quality fire. It's not like I am lacking in S5 shots in a Tau list, but it's fun having 4d6 cluster shots plus SMS all at -1 AP.

Which do I choose?

What's the wound count between the 2? Do they have any little special rules that May provide an edge anywhere else (except the given anchors)?

Broadsides have 12 T5 wounds between them with a 2+ without factoring in the drones. They auto pass morale checks on a 6 and can shunt wounds to drones unlike the Stormsurge.

Stormsurge has 20 T7 3+ saves with walking battleship which lets it move and fire heavy weapons without penalty and fall back and shoot normally but then it loses its anchors.

Edit: I think the toughness is of little value as things like lascannons and meltas wound both of them on a 3+ and bolters wound both of them on a 5+. Sure the Surge has more wounds, but has to be 50% obscured to receive cover. Broadsides can get cover easier and have a 2+. Can shift over mortal wounds to drones.

Edited by depthcharge12

There is a battle report from TableTop Tactics featuring what I would call a "7th" edition Tau list against the type of DE list I've been fighting against for many years due to a friend.

It pointed out several things to me:

1. Long range interdicting fire will be critical against a kind of DE list I think we'll see a lot of in the future.

2. A dependency on using marker light drones to make magic happen will not work in 8th.

3. The new addition will require  an entirely new philosophy of marker light usage.

4. The Tau will need to maximize their volume of fire across their army, not just in a few super buff giant robots.

5. Speculation: Crisis and Stealth type suits will play a significantly larger role in 8th edition lists.

Other armies will need to learn these lessons as well.

Yeah I saw that batrep and I think I saw a few people nail the whole markerlights issue. I'm taking a ten man pathfinder squad now because you'll really need to load up the markerlights on one unit and focus it to death this edition. Tau BS is garbage with few modifiers, and the SS suffers from decreasing BS as it gets hurt.

I'm sad that suits can't JSJ anymore, but c'est la vie. We are now the thinking man's army. No more hurtling in the corner. We will need to use mobility to win.

Waaaay back in 3rd ed i used to field a Talos in my DE army, its sole purpose was to get killed, to be a fire magnet . That is the job of the Storm surge but as an added bonus it gets to deal out a lot of pain while it soaks up that firepower. Admittedly its an expensive decoy but its also pretty good for the points .

Broadsides just dont have that impact and can be overlooked in favour of targeting something else. This can cause target confusion however which isnt a bad thing either. Both a great choices but if i was facing a horde id take a Storm surge, if its lots of monsters or tanks id take the Broadsides.

What about a third option? Longstrike and a Hammerhead buddy.

Depending on the exact loadout you're looking at pretty much the same point cost. Their firepower doesn't look to impressive at first, but they are hitting on 2+. They are also the most mobile, hard to kill, and can't be locked in combat. I haven't done the math on the exact damage output, but the extra tactical flexibility might make them the better choice.