Jabberwocky Rises: The Consuming Wraith

Xenith

Nice conversion, I suspect it would fool many a non-nid player. Interested to see these walky venoms. Have to say I'd probably have done it the other way around to try and recreate the original zoanthropes.

That's another conversion in the pipeline :) At least the next Neurothrope will be like that, with a smaller brood of walking zoans, and then floaty venoms. I'm not too bothered about Swarm homogeneity.

So quick updates:

Neurothrope - I've got the undercoat down and have started on the basecoat, this one should take too long. The Neuro has been dubbed "The Gribble Queen" and will be the swarm leader until a Tyrant takes over.

gallery_58096_13272_388571.jpg

Update on teh walking venom

gallery_58096_13272_739830.jpg

The head is missing, but will be a genestealer feeder tendril head, they fit perfectly, and I used the venomthrope head(s) on my lictor conversion(s)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's been a long while since I visited my nids, mainly due to real life and the ETL seeing me focus on my Blood Angels - before all that I was working on three zoanthropes to go with my neuro, will take some pics soon.

In the meantime I've placed an order for a bunch of diamond check and bar plasticard in order to try and make more variety in my basing and keep the cost of the GW imperialis bases down.

Edited by Xenith

• 2 weeks later...

So the next additions to the Fleet are under way:

First up is my converted Warrior Prime:

gallery_58096_13272_396693.jpg

He features a reposed hip section to make him more upright, then a bent tail to compensate for this. Otherwise he's just a warrior with the added Prime bits from the boxed set. He stands a good head taller than a regular one though. Easier to shoot, but this rule of cool.

gallery_58096_13272_393629.jpg

He's also magnetised to swap equipment, but I dont think it'll really vary between deathspitter with 2x bonesword and sword and whip.

gallery_58096_13272_201896.jpg

I've also taken delivery of various plasticards with which to emulate GW sector imperialis bases. Using the official ones was getting expensive, so I made press moulds of some features, but plasticard is more economic in the long run. This is the base for my upcoming Trygon Prime: Plain card, diamond grid card and some square bars to divide them

gallery_58096_13272_590762.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• 1 month later...

These look great! The idea of using a box of warriors to make walking venomthropes and lictors is genius! I might have to steal this idea myself!

I've been collecting some tyranid and GSC models for a while now to make a Zerg (from Starcraft) themed tyranid army, not a huge amount of conversions in the nid side but I plan to make the GSC and Guard "infested" humans by sprinkling in a bunch of nid bits.

This should give me some good ideas for how to fill in that pesky elites section to grow my nids into a brigade!

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally pulled my finger out and got cracking with the Trygon Prime.

Nid models are hard to paint, but boy are they satisfying to finish (well, almost)

gallery_58096_13272_1208165.jpg

All that I need to finish is bringing the carapace up to a bright white, and then shade, drybrush and weather the base, then the big beastie is done.

All in all, probably about 8 - 12 hours over the weekend.

I finished up the base for my trygon:

gallery_58096_13272_849511.jpg

gallery_58096_13272_225148.jpg

gallery_58096_13272_436132.jpg

I'm really glad that I went with an Imperial/industrial style base, as it really lets me play around with some weathering - meaning with the army I get all the gribbly gooey organic textures with the nids contrasting with the decaying industrial metals. This is my first real foray into custom building my own bases, and hopefully the bases are interesting enough but don't detract from the model itself.

Finished off my Tyranid Prime, apologies for potato cam pics, my phone seemingly doesnt like close ups...

gallery_58096_13272_843658.jpg

gallery_58096_13272_901689.jpg

All arms magnetised, although getting the deathspitter off without damaging the paint will be tough, I might just glue it in permanently. Arms are magged so I can swap the LW/BS out for twin BS, but I'll likely stick with this combo.

• 1 month later...

No new Tyranids for Christmas this year, but I do have a lot of them left to paint:

My first goal will be another troop unit, maybe 5-10 horms or terms, then a harpy or hive tyrant!

Edited by Xenith

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
After a long time playing with my Blood Angels tanks, I'm scratching my Nid itch, and working on painting up the last 2 warriors to make a full unit, and hopefully assembling something for the army this weekend! I have a harpy, tyrannofex and flyrant on sprues, lots to choose from!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So this thread has languished for a while as I tried to get into 8th and the vanguard primaris drew my attention. I've picked up some more termagants to try and adapt my colour scheme to the contrast range. If anyone has some ideas regarding this, I'm all sensory organs! 

I have a few test gaunts about which I need to photograph. They all seem a bit dark. I might end up going with some form of army painter blue base then thinned akhellian green over the top. Straight akhellian over grey seer is kind of too dark for what I'm going for. More tests needed!

Edited by Xenith