Old school models, new rules!-Talos

Teetengee

So, I have some dark eldar models sitting around from the 3rd ed days, and they don't appear to have aged well relative to new modes. Therefore, I want to create a list entirely using them for small games. I'd love some advice on what people think would be decent. Here is what I am thinking right now:

Patrol Detachment

Archon (1) - 4pwr
    1 Archon: Huskblade,Splinter pistol

Kabalite Warriors (20) - 9pwr
    1 Sybarite: Splinter rifle
    2 Kabalite Warrior: Dark lance
    1 Kabalite Warrior: Shredder
    16 Kabalite Warrior: Splinter rifle

Kabalite Warriors (10) - 5pwr
    1 Sybarite: Splinter rifle,Power sword
    1 Kabalite Warrior: Splinter cannon
    7 Kabalite Warrior: Splinter rifle

Raider (1) - 6pwr
    1 Raider: Dark lance,Bladevanes

Kabalite Warriors (10) - 5pwr
    1 Sybarite: Splinter rifle,Power sword
    1 Kabalite Warrior: Splinter cannon
    7 Kabalite Warrior: Splinter rifle

Raider (1) - 6pwr
    1 Raider: Dark lance,Bladevanes

Once I get a list more finalized, I will use this thread for posting the build of this project.
Edited by Teetengee

The new models are what lured me in a few years ago - but sadly they're more plastic mountain than anything else currently. Plus I'm doing that thing I often do and decide I want a new colour scheme part way through :confused:

I always wanted to go heavier on infantry, and 8th looks to be kind to troopers - or at least kinder - and I'm thinking that this isn't a bad approach. Raiders should be pretty good as a source of darklance (which is usually a solid AT choice, certainly at range...), but I wonder about how much AT you muster overall and if that's enough? That said, I've not got many DE games under my belt and have no idea how to convert power levels to points so I'm not entirely sure what points value you're at so I could be off :laugh.:

For Dark Lances, triple Reaver is the best source of them, then Razorwing fighters imho. Not sure of them on the Raiders because it's only one shot. I'm plan to have 4 Raiders on the long run and three Reavers, but I'm afraid I'm derailing the thread.

What I want to say is, Disintegrator cannons aren't half bad as a multipurpose weapon for lone Raiders ^_^

I dunno, 5-10 man Scourge Units with 4 Dark Lances or Heat Lances seem like pretty awesome to me. Especially with 10 men since you get 6 Ablatives.

Your weapon choices are a bit odd, you get one special and one heavy per 10.

I would go Dark Lance/Blaster and Cannon/Blaster

Shredders are a bit blerg, 12 inch range is dangerously close for d3 shots imo. Not sure I am a big fan and I can clip the "fins" and say its a blaster so I can run blasterborn in a venom.

Also power level means you can take all the gear - so there is no point to not take a blaster on the archon and an agoniser/power sword on sybarites.

If you take the sword...take one and use the +1S drug which mitigates the s3 hit while maintaining the nice ap.

Massed splinter fire is nice though. Most troop infantry is t4 max so you dont lpse out, while you start to win out when shooting tougher things!

The list looks good to me. Now, with the advent of being able to split fire, you don't have to rely so much on dedicated Anti-Tank units if you've got some AT weapons strewn throughout your army. I'm a fan of Disintegrator Cannons. Always have been - since about a month ago when I picked up the army. I don't have the Indices yet (there was a problem amending an order to GW at the LGS so I ordered them all online) but, from what I've seen, multiple shots are always nicer than one shot. Dark Lances look great but it just seems you have a couple in the force already. Well, one Raider with a Dark Lance and one with a Disintegrator Cannon could be fun.

Btw, I was trying to keep it mostly to equipment choices that were legal in the 3rd ed codex, for theme reasons. The army is around 700 points as is right now WF, if that helps for balancing. IIRC blasters and blast pistols weren't options back then, so I was trying to avoid them. I'm not fussed about it being super competitive, I just want it fun. One disintegrator on a raider sounds like it could be a good idea though.

Btw, it occurs to me I have an original metal talos kicking around. Does anyone know how to make those stay in one piece?

Superglue, pins, and prayer to the dark gods?

Well, I know the first and third fairly well, but some of the weapons are quite spindly. I'm afraid I will tear them apart pinning. (Plus, I realized a while back that my pin drill doesn't have any bits, and I'm not sure where to get them)

You get sometimes get new bits at a hobby/craft store or a "real" model store. Otherwise, you'll need to buy them online.

Thanks, I'll take a look, anything special I should be looking for for working with metal as well as plastic?

As long as you buy quality bits, they'll work on either just fine. A friend of mine bought a pack of cheap drill bits at Harbor Fright and they were complete crap that broke easily, and I can tell you that trying to dig a broken drill bit out of a metal figure is a gigantic pain in the ass.

As long as you buy quality bits, they'll work on either just fine. A friend of mine bought a pack of cheap drill bits at Harbor Fright and they were complete crap that broke easily, and I can tell you that trying to dig a broken drill bit out of a metal figure is a gigantic pain in the ass.

Yeah, well.  Harbor Freight.

• 2 weeks later...

So, trying out oyumaru while working on my talos as I had lost some of the spikes over the years.
I think the results were pretty good, even if the mold melted with the last blob of putty still in it, thankfully after it had had 12 hours to set. It melted due to being in direct sunlight, as a warning.

http://i.imgur.com/ZdjTG6W.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Js7tfz7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YWyX5dn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/s7dzmDQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/imFguOO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sG3NtMD.jpg

My question, for those more familiar with this kit, is if I need to use putty to do any gapfilling for the model to look good, or if it will look fine without. Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/YxnwKHF.jpg

Some raider's I am working on.

Also, while the oyumaru is working great, I am finding that my procreate is drying gummy/rubbery. In other words, it cures to the stiffness of rubber, completely flexible, and that isn't great for all the things I would like to do with it. Would mixing in milliput be better for such purposes? Or should I use sculpy? ;)

I would say there's a few gaps to be filled on the rear of the talos where the upper section sits on the lower plate with the blades, but them I'm obsessive about filling gaps. I've noticed that ProCreate is more flexible than GS and even did a test with some tube making tools where I bent the ends of a long-ish tube around to touch and it didn't split in the center like a GS would have done. Mixing milliput will definitely make it more rigid. 

I would say there's a few gaps to be filled on the rear of the talos where the upper section sits on the lower plate with the blades, but them I'm obsessive about filling gaps. I've noticed that ProCreate is more flexible than GS and even did a test with some tube making tools where I bent the ends of a long-ish tube around to touch and it didn't split in the center like a GS would have done. Mixing milliput will definitely make it more rigid. 

Thanks! I've ordered up some milliput as even if I still have some from the last time I used it, it would be over a decade old by now....

I love the old Dark Eldar model range, and still use them. I agree that they don't fit in with the new models, but I don't think they need to. A realspace raid can be comprised of a number of autonomous organizations that don't need to look like each other.

So I think a Wych Cult comprised of classic models will look fine next to a Kabal from the current range, or vice versa. It's not unknown for more than one Kabal to be involved in a raid, and I think it still works as long as the classic and current models are clearly representing different Kabals.

It actually represents the True Kin a little better. Dark Eldar are artisans, not manufacturers, and their weapons and vehicles are constructed by hand. It makes sense that the weapons, armor, and vehicles employed by one Kabal might look completely different from those used by another.

Shredders!

The biggest problem with shredders is the opportunity cost: you're giving up taking a blaster if you bring a shredder.

Shredders are good at killing low toughness, low armor targets, the sort of model that is often in a horde, but their short range can be a problem there. Against other, non-vehicle targets, I think they're outperformed by splinter weapons. At S 6, they can be useful against vehicles, but not nearly as useful as the blaster.

Basically, the shredder doesn't give Kabalites very much that they don't already do well (especially if they brought a splinter cannon), and has limited range and an unreliable rate of fire, while the blaster is perfect for punching holes in targets they (and the army) would otherwise struggle with.