Now that many of us have a few games of 8th under our belts, let's talk about what happened and what we learned. Posts are encouraged (but not required) to be in the following format:
- What worked well in your list, or even exceeded your expectations?
- what did not work?
- What you learned - what changes will you make, if any? Will you scrap your list entirely, or perhaps slaughter a lamb at midnight for the dice gods?
Here are my thoughts after facing off against an IG tank company of 2 russes, 2 basilisks, pask, a wyvern, and some scions in a 75 power level game. Bear in mind that I never played 7th, so my outlook is untarnished by the past.
- Invuln saves. These so, so nice with the abundance of rend.
- DC with thunder hammers did work and effortlessly obliterated Pask in one combat phase.
- Volume / rapid fire - this was not my success, but the IG player I was up against abused the maxim of "anything can wound anything" to shred about 30% of my army with a Wyvern and hotshot lasguns in one shooting phase. The las / plas from his tanks was just gravy.
- Lemartes. He is a beast in combat, and almost destroyed a basilisk by himself before being blown to pieces by three tanks. His corpse will never be recovered, but his memory will live on forever (or not, as that game made me want to drink and in this case I'll be drinking to forget).
- JPs in the movement phase. Being able to move 12" put a lot of pressure on a gunline with a game plan of "kill them before they get here pls." Our mobility is definitely one of our best weapons.
- My dice rolls. Does anyone have a lamb they won't miss?
- Primaris Marines. Good lord, I fielded the full box and each and every one gave an anemic performance (with the exception of hellblasters, which nevertheless did not do much before they got shot off the table by T3). The extra toughness of multiwound models was hardly a factor since wounds must be assigned to wounded models first. Bolt rifles were meh. Even the inceptors failed to do anything meaningful before getting unceremoniously slaughtered.
- Auru buffs + jump pack assault - My DC failed their initial charge (and the reroll) after slamming them and lemartes down from the sky T1 (which felt awesome, but left me in the awkward position of having to charge Lemartes and leave the DC behind unbuffed). I had failed to consider that characters would have to make and pass their charge rolls separately from the units they hang out with. It was not ideal.
- Dread with TLC - it was almost comical to watch my dread pop off two relatively meaningless shots with his lascannon before being obliterated in one turn by deep striking scions. Truly felt like lighting points on fire.
- Assault marines - they were about as awe-inspiring as a 3rd grader in a 3 point contest in the sense that they can't really do tank hunting well. I truly wanted to d-punch the guy who decided meltas were off the table as I watched them put a few knicks in the tank they assaulted before getting vaporized. Mine had JPs, plasma pistols, and power axes.
- 3++ is the new black! I'm looking at VVs with storm shields and thunder hammers as tank hunters, VVs with storm shields and power weapons as elite hunters.. the list goes on. I ate VVs with storm shields for breakfast this morning and I can already feel my outlook on life changing for the better.
- DC seems to have a lot of potential, but I never played with them in 7th. I fielded 5 and want more. I think that extra attack on the charge gives us a bigger edge than most appreciate.
- Lemartes seems very efficient for the points. I felt he earned his way into my list just by distracting 3 tanks for a shooting phase. Becoming a crater = value.
- I think I want JPs coming out of transports rather than the sky. Getting to move then advance seems like a lot better way to make it to the fight phase than "I sure hope I roll a 9!"
- Goodbye Lascannons, hello Assault cannons. I'm going to try the volume fire game, as my rifleman dread felt like putting too many eggs in one basket (two baskets? He did get 2 shots before he died).
- Goodbye assault marines. I hardly knew ye (and regret buying ye)... These will be replaced by, you guessed it, VVs with storm shields for just a few points more. Would not recommend unless you strap JPs on them and plan to slam some cheap cannon fodder in front of a unit you actually care about, and even then I'm not sure those points aren't better spent elsewhere.
Edited by submarinesoup, 18 June 2017 - 05:55 PM.