Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Post-release roundtable: what worked? what didn't?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,753 posts

Really eager to get a block of shooty terminators and a terminator captain with Deep strike, with the 4 shot storm bolters, more shots on assault cannons and re-rolls they should prove a really hardly block of infantry in a flank.

Drop Dante or a TDA captain in close to them for those sweet sweet rerolls. 10 TDA dropping 12 away with 2x asscans or CML's rerolling all misses will be fun.

I've got too many TDA captains so will use one of them!

One is Karlaen with TH SS, one is the Space Hulk captain but with a LC TH instead of the shield...

Then I've got that limited one from recently with the Storm Bolter, Fist & grenade launcher - may convert him to a combi plas for a fair bit of dakka...

gallery_62972_10568_73818.jpggallery_48988_6285_4379.png

In Their Fists They Carry Death - The Legiones Custodes

++WIP Thread++

++Index Astartes Sanguine Visions++

++Heresy WIP Thread: Talons++

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,983 posts

Really eager to get a block of shooty terminators and a terminator captain with Deep strike, with the 4 shot storm bolters, more shots on assault cannons and re-rolls they should prove a really hardly block of infantry in a flank.

Drop Dante or a TDA captain in close to them for those sweet sweet rerolls. 10 TDA dropping 12 away with 2x asscans or CML's rerolling all misses will be fun.

One is Karlaen with TH SS, one is the Space Hulk captain but with a LC TH instead of the shield...

Then I've got that limited one from recently with the Storm Bolter, Fist & grenade launcher - may convert him to a combi plas for a fair bit of dakka...

What Black Magic did you use to get that model? I'd love it!

Storm bolter or combi plasma on the captain is probably a good call on that unit to add to the firepower. You can also give him a fist with the grenade launcher for more shooting.

Actually, that's the next model I'll be making!

45bf9d3f-67ed-459f-ab16-6dae5f772a41_zpsgallery_58096_11765_15606.jpggallery_62972_10568_30745_zps7apczmbs.jp5cfc2df1-07de-4c53-a375-9692d63472be_zpsgallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX

BossSauce

BossSauce

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 31 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

Played a 60ish or so power point game where I dropped the tactical TDA from Space Hulk and Karlean against Nids. They absolutely chewed through a 25-30 gaunt squad and put a few wounds on a monster with leftover shots, but after the drop kinda didn't do anything. He had the big bug (biovore comes to mind but I think those are the smaller ones) that shot twice doing 2D per... They dropped fast. I had two AssCan Razors with tacticals paired with them, next time I would bring more tanks or other threats to help those termies out a bit.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,753 posts

What Black Magic did you use to get that model? I'd love it!

Storm bolter or combi plasma on the captain is probably a good call on that unit to add to the firepower. You can also give him a fist with the grenade launcher for more shooting.

Actually, that's the next model I'll be making!

A friend of mine was gracious enough to pick one up for me as his local store got refreshed so was selling them! Going to give him a helm. I've got the old metal terminator he's based on too... Aha!

Two Bolter shots, two (maybe overcharged) plasma shots and D3 grenades should do some work, plus he can still punch things.

gallery_62972_10568_73818.jpggallery_48988_6285_4379.png

In Their Fists They Carry Death - The Legiones Custodes

++WIP Thread++

++Index Astartes Sanguine Visions++

++Heresy WIP Thread: Talons++

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,776 posts
I need that shiney new birthday captain... I really want to know what full primaris rules will be like - options etc. Apparently the birthday one has its own data slate that will hopefully be decent.

Master crafted plasma pistol maybe??

"Because I did not see it as glorious Captain Castigon, a bunch of effete over privileged nobles who barely know which direction to point a weapon? Where's the challenge in that? Look at your armour, not a scratch on you is there?" 

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

BaldrickRSA

BaldrickRSA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts

Twin Ass cannons are Heavy 12, Str 6......very nice. Three Baal Preds with HB side sponsons, a few razorbacks with Ass cannons and tac squads, and two squads DC with JPs and Astorath, and maybe a priest and librarian as well. Need to check the points. Ass cannon massive supprisive fire, move forward and fire everything, providing cover for assault units until they are able to jump and assault.....but I love those Twin ass cannons......lots of Heavy 12...........

And a Vindicare Assassin....dying to use my new mini....lol

Just a thought.........

Edited by BaldrickRSA, Yesterday, 06:54 PM.

• Brother Lemartes likes this

BossSauce

BossSauce

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 31 posts
Tried the terminator deep striking thing again, worked very well this time against Ad Mech.
Had karlean, 2 squads of tactical termites, and a squad of inceptors all drop in into a lieutenants bubble as well (Lieutenant ran up with 2 ass can razors with tacticals and a dakka Baal pred).
Really secured me mid field so he had to play around me, was able to score objectives and prevent him from scoring his. Would definately recommend, though Seth rocking in one of the razors would have been better.

Bartali

Bartali

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,865 posts

Big win for me over the weekend was Rhino's. They absorb soo much fire power allowing you to set up turn two charges. Then they interupt the enemy with their own assault charges.

Death Company Dread with a 6 inch consolodate move was clutch after being deposited by storm raven on other side of board.

Seth Seth Seth! Loved him. He is now at the atrongest he has ever been. Great force multiplier.

On the more blah side was tac marines. Did little damage but they did tie up units for a couple of turns.

Baal Preds where best used assaulting other tanks rather than using their fire power. I think Razor Backs would be more efficient.

Company Ancient did not come into play at all. I think I would rather pay points for Sang Ancient to deep strike in turn two to help with wound rolls.

Spot on. Dropping jumpers turn1 hoping for a charge is suicide. 

Advance Rhinos/Twin HF Razors/Flamestorm Baals up the table turn 1 to set up for your jumpers dropping in turn 2. Fluffed charge rolls aren't so bad if your vehicles are tying up your opponents units.

I don't think jump BA work without vehicles

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,667 posts

One of the other nice things with JP company vets is that you can also take them in a min unit size of 2 (sgt gets combi, troops combi or special) - so you could take multiple small units with no other upgrades bar maybe storm shield (and drop them apart from each other) - make it that much harder for them all to be taken out after they drop. 

The problem with this is that you're upping your unit count which means you're likely to go second in an edition that is gearing towards heavy hitting alpha strikes! ><

• Charlo likes this
Gamist, cheesy, beardy or broken; If Games Workshop put it in the book I'll gladly play against it, or with it. - Mort
"Use soft words and hard arguments." (Henry George Bohn [1796-1884].)

There is no harm in, on occasion, having disagreements. It's another thing entirely, however, to be a tool in conveying that disagreement.

"OP: The term used by players to describe a combination of yours they are personally unable to beat"

Collection of Battle Reports
Corbulo Tactica

Drunken Angel

Drunken Angel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 628 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Guard

Played another game tonight, my regular opponent is one of the the top rated Eldar/Aeldari/Dark elder players in NZ.  We played 2000 points against a mixed Harlequin/Eldar list.

I was seized on which dd not not help.

More things to take away

Company Veterans with combi-melta and storm shields are very very good.  Blew up two of his Ravengers on the deep strike drop and very hard to shift.   Jamming a flamer on the Sgt is good for overwatch.  

I put a thunderhammer on the Sanguinary Priest  with Jump Pack I sent with the Vets and he pounded on vehicles and anything else very nicely as a follow up to the melta strike.

Lemartes pulled off his own charge on a re-roll and a command points re-roll charge roll for the DC with hammers got me 3 out of 5 charges on the drop.

I took a Culexus Assassin.  This little SOB is a total PITA to shift and will be very nasty against marines (he ignore armour saves).  In a whole game the Harlies did not manage to wound him over three rounds combat.   Have him hang around a psyker to mess up the opponents rolls. 

Snipers scouts are still solid.

I like Razorbacks over Baals very handy to be able to jam a unit in the back for protection from dakka. 

dread05

dread05

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 30 posts

Anyone tried a company ancient yet? That did you arm him with? 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users