Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1500 points NuTau

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

depthcharge12

depthcharge12

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,913 posts
Hey gang, here's my list for the new edition!

HQ
Commander - 143
+ advanced targeting system, plasma rifle, 2 missile pods

Cadre fireblade - 42
+ markerlight, pulse rifle, photon grenades

Elites
Ghostkeel battlesuit - 181
+ multi tracker, advanced targeting, cyclic ion raker, 2 fusion blasters

3 Crisis suits - 224
+ plasma rifle, fusion blaster, shas'vre w/velocity tracker

Troops
8 strike fire warriors - 64
+ 8 pulse rifles

8 strike fire warriors - 64
+ 8 pulse rifles

Dedicated Transports
2 devilfish - 274
+ burst cannons, gun drones, 4 seeker missiles

Fast Attack
2 tactical drones - 16 (1500)
+ 2 pulse carbines

10 pathfinders - 90
+ pulse carbines, markerlights, photon grenades, 2 drones: grav wave and pulse accelerator

Heavy Support
2 Broadside Battlesuits -405
+ heavy rail rifles, 4 plasma guns, 2 seeker missiles, drone controller, velocity tracker
(Tracker applies to whole unit, no individual basis ;) )

Plan is for the FWs and pathfinders to pick a spot and hold the everliving greater good out of it. Anyone within 18" or 12" gets 71/81 S5 shots to the face. Broadsides deploy in some cover in the other corner of possible to split the enemy up and give them hell. Battlesuit commander can hang out with the broadsides to give them that Kauyon reroll for a turn and act as a QRF, or can break off with the other suits to cause problems. Ghostkeel is there as a sponge and a high threat killer. XV8s jump around like the House of Pain and do exactly that - killing vehicles and other schlubs. I like velocity trackers on AT units as the proliferation of not only traditional flying units, but all the old jump/jet/skimmer vehicles have all gotten the keyword "fly" now and it affects them too.

C+C welcome!
Sons of Horus painting log (3000+ points & Horus)

http://www.bolterand...rus-plog-horus/

Scars of Rangdan, Dark Angels Legion:

http://www.bolterand...79#entry4575179

The Blood Raven

The Blood Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,469 posts

Are seeker missiles worth it in this edition? They seem to require a lot of rolls, both on the missile and necessary marker lights. I'm curious as to how it will work out for you. Please let us know.

Otherwise, this looks like an old school list. My first few lists won't be much different minus the ghost keel. msn-wink.gif  

depthcharge12

depthcharge12

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,913 posts

Are seeker missiles worth it in this edition? They seem to require a lot of rolls, both on the missile and necessary marker lights. I'm curious as to how it will work out for you. Please let us know.

Otherwise, this looks like an old school list. My first few lists won't be much different minus the ghost keel. msn-wink.gif

I reworked some of my list swapping R'alai and drones for 144 points (drones say as a unit for 11 points instead of "drone") :P I'm also doing 1x6 FWs and 2x5 FW's to get the extra 3 command points without losing members.

Missiles are a cheap 5 points to get a mortal wound (not guaranteed of course). With everything having split fire, you can't go wrong! Honestly, I now have 10 markerlights from the pathfinders, 2 from R'alai, and 1 from the Fireblade. I plan on adding a Y'vahra and a Sunshark bomber which has an extra Markerlight as well.

Tau this edition can't point and click. We really need to think about target priority and focusing down one target at a time! ;) if that means 6+ missiles then I'm all for it!

The Blood Raven

The Blood Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,469 posts
Thanks for the perspective.

Do you think multiple small squads are good in this edition? The fire warriors seem to easily become enemy victory points in my previous experience.

I played my first 8th edition game yesterday. I couldn't kill my enemy fast enough with 7-10 man squads.

Still not convinced on the seeker missiles, but experience beats opinion most of the time. I don't have enough experience to know what works yet.

depthcharge12

depthcharge12

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,913 posts

Thanks for the perspective.

Do you think multiple small squads are good in this edition? The fire warriors seem to easily become enemy victory points in my previous experience.

I played my first 8th edition game yesterday. I couldn't kill my enemy fast enough with 7-10 man squads.

Still not convinced on the seeker missiles, but experience beats opinion most of the time. I don't have enough experience to know what works yet.

Unfortunately they offer up VPs and a lower chance at going first in this new edition, however, the extra 3 command points are too good to pass up, and your opponent will also likely have the same minimum 5 units (2 HQs and 3 Troops) for a battalion detachment.

I think that for non ork/tyranid armies - or those resistant to battleshock - MSU will be key to not losing units in the morale phase if you roll high. It'd be terrible to pay the points for them only to have them disappear during the first morale phase without shooting or being used down.gif

I will check out the missiles and let you know, but its nice since all you need is 2 markerlight hits (easy) and to roll your to hit as they auto wound and ignore armor/invuln saves. They wont be obliterating wraithknights in one turn of shooting, but they sure as hell can do a number on them if they have a few wounds remaining or have 1 wound left to get knocked down for debuffs.

*Take all of this with a grain of salt as I have yet to play any games in 8th but plan to soon. I'm largely basing my assumptions on the 5-6 video batreps and 3+ written ones I've read. 

As for the 7-10 man squads, have you considered coupling them with a fireblade and/or a pulse accelerator drone? 2 10 man FW squads with rifles at 18" with both of those will put out 63 shots (3 from the fireblade) alone!!! Add some markerlights to sweeten the deal. Are you also focusing your infantry on sniping other infantry? I think many people have gotten wrapped up in trying to kill baneblades with lasguns teehee.gif rolleyesclean.gif

Sanul

Sanul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 41 posts

Ghostkeel battlesuit - 181
+ multi tracker, advanced targeting, cyclic ion raker, 2 fusion blasters

Your math seems to be off at least with the Ghostkeel. It should be 210 with the two fusion blasters.