Restarting Tyranids

Uprising

Tyranids holds a very special play in my heart.  They were my first army in 40k, and in miniatures.  Now nine years later, and I have grown so much better as a hobbyist and person.  Now with 8th being release, It's time I go back and restart them.  I would like some input on my three ideas, and need help to decide which one to do. 

1.  Battle of Macragge:  Hive fleet behemoth vs Ultramarines aka THE classic Tyranid vs marines battle.  The army would have snowy bases vs dead ultramarines and nids on bases.  I like the behemoth scheme, and the only good smurf is a dead one(joking)

2.  Giant's Coffin:  Hive Fleet Kraken vs Scythes of the Emperor aka brink of extinction.  I like the kraken scheme better then behemoth, but I do not know if I can paint scythes that well(black and yellow).  The bases would be jungle, while the display board is the last stand.  

3.  DIY Nids.  Basically, find some color schemes and do my best to come up with a story.  More personal, but more work.  

Thoughts?  Thanks for reading.   

Although it's up to you, I feel #2 could be very interesting (and potentially a colourful and visually-striking force). Plus, as much as I like the classic Kraken scheme, I would love to see a slightly modernised version of it. :smile.:

Thank you, and noted. 

I personally play Behemoth with a snow theme and dead ultramarines sprinkled about but I treat the official Behemoth scheme as non-canon and consider my custom scheme to be a remnant variant rather than the original one.

I would love to see that, please post. 

Id always go for DYI when possible and what army is better to go lose with color schemes then nids? If you gonna spend time painting why not do it the funniest way.

Noted.  Time to look back at my 3rd edition nid book, it has dozens of example. 

I vote DIY. Am army like Nids, the skies the limit with a color scheme. You can reference insects, lizards, aquatic life, or just create something that appeals to you. Like you said, more personal

I also vote DIY. You can make up your own story and you're army will have what ever you want it to have. You won't have people saying "That army didn't have these bugs in it."

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

So, I finally received my rulebooks in the mail.  I also taken out all my tyranids I have not sold yet(I sold off all my painted model, kept the NIB).  Here is the list:

1 Hive tyranid

1 trygon/mawloc

3 rav

3 warriors

8 genestealers

32 termagants

32 hormaguants

1 lictor

12 spore mines

lots of rippers

I plan to get the two tyranid swarm box once this is all painted, but what else should I get?  Best loadout in general?  On the army theme and colors, I think kraken going to win: the scheme and fluff is the big draw.  Also, I recently bought a guard army for cheaps, so cult may be coming soon.  Thanks for reading. 

I'd go DIY, or a variation on a canon scheme. Search google and use the old books for reference, tweak the scheme and make it your own.

Nids are one of the armies you can really go wild with. You can make them as simple or complex as you like. Try to push yourself!

DIY is the most fun to go if you want a whole scope of customisation, if you like the whole dead ultramarine vibe (like me) you can do that as well. I went for black carapace with sponged on Genestealer Purple but it is your choice.

In regard to your units, I would recommend getting a few Zoanthropes, they are relatively cheap (points) for a decent psyker, and if you have two or three plus a hive tyrant no one can out psychic you.

Edited by House Taranis