Your Craftworld

Iron Father Ferrum

I started in 2nd ed, near the tail end, and I made my own Craftworld: Tor Yeridan, the Lighthouse.

General fluff was a slowly growing craftworld with a huge nexus of webway portals orbiting it. This has led to a need for alot of seers and a large number of warp-spider shrines on the Craftworld. Generally a blue body with white energy for vehicles, and Grey with black and bronze for the Guardians and Wraiths, who are known locally as Storm Wardens. They truely do avoid using Guardians except in the last defense of the craftworld, with most strike forces comprised entirely of aspect warriors.

As for why Eldar? Back then they had these little fluff-pages and one could get them for free. Had a short story and an army and a faction description. I read and reread all of them, and fell in love with the Eldar.

Biel-Tan for me. 

The army was started to supplement a friends army who played Biel-Tan mostly due to back in 3rd edition they could take more aspects rather than the colour scheme (he never painted anything).  

Always loved the eldar- never really had an excuse/opportunity to pick them up.  Then my wife expressed interest in learning how to play the game and she chose eldar.  In the end she'd rather read the books than game, so I inherited the army.   Now I'm taking the ball and running with it and am having an absolute blast while doing so!

My WIP autarch:

35416250356_53090e3276.jpg

35289605572_db6aa9791b.jpg

The current "scheme" of the eldar.  My wife really loved the look of the gold sigmarines on display when we started the project, so before you know it we had gold eldar. Probably going to incorporate white into the scheme to help balance it out. 

35456336185_c5fd772af3.jpg

My avatar of Ynnead.  Really wanna get a second avatar so I can try out a alternate scheme which uses red energy and armor- since the Ynarri have a serious red theme going on and all.  

And the amaranth red/orange basecoat for future corsair "allies"-- some WIP wasp walkers.  

35456897245_aacfc03d9d.jpg

I'm hoping they keep some of the portal/deep strike shenanigans they had in Doom of mymeara because I never got to try them out before the edition rolled over. 

Haven't the foggiest what the craftworld name or symbol is gonna be yet, but figuring all that stuff out is half the fun of DIY am I right?

Edited by The_Chaplain

I've been running Ulthwé since around 97. Eldrad has always been my homeboy and I loved running guardian heavy and supporting them with silly psychic power. Guiding a 20 man guardian squad, back when they had 24 inch range, and seeing the look on your opponents face when he realized how much dakka was incoming =)

Plus, I loved the black and wraithbone color scheme....still do.

I really liked Ulthwé when I first picked an Eldar army, the black combined with the golden yellow was really powerful. I started again with my Eldar after 3rd edition changed the yellow to a more subdued bone colour, effectively starting the army over again. I think it was the idea that the Craftworld was renowned for it's peerless psychers that i liked from a game perspective. The psychic phase was pretty long when I played and that was before the "Seer Council" was an actual unit. I just had Eldrad and a couple of level 3 Warlocks throwing out buffs and Executioner attacks at any model I didn't like the look of.

I like Biel-Tan's color scheme. (I have the 'luck' that several of my favorite schemes involve a lot of white.)

It probably helps that they're the aspect addicts and I'm just not interested in guardians (which makes my affection for the color scheme rather irrelevant now that I think about it).

My only Eldar models are a squad of axewraiths though, three of which are painted. I'm looking forward to plastic banshees... if they ever come out and aren't 'improved' like daemonettes were.

Tor Yeridan, the Lighthouse.

I miss high elves.

Whilst I've been playing since Rogue Trader, I never started Eldar till about 4th edition. I chose Ulthwé for a number of reasons... I liked the idea of them guarding the Eye of Terror and the use of webway portals for their old strike forces, plus their colour scheme appealed to me being fairly easy to pull off. I had my fair share of victories throughout 4th, 5th and 6th but I've only had a handful of games with them in 7th so I'll be interested how they fare in 8th. 

Edited by Ebsolom

I've painted Eldar as:

Saim-Hann (back in the late 1990s)
Phoenix (my own creation)
Biel-Tan (in the late 2010s)
and finally settled on

IYANDEN and now have the beginnings of an army - Farseer, two Warlocks, 20 Guardians with two scatter laser platforms, two Bright Lance Vypers, 6 Fire Dragons and a Falcon.

I chose Iyanden because I wanted a yellow army to contrast against the colours of my Imperial forces and other armies. I also like their story - the doomed defence against the Tyranid, the use of Wraith-constructs, their fatalism, etc etc.

But it was mostly the colour scheme.

I sold the Eldar army I had in 1st and 2nd edition in order to buy a Dark Eldar army when 3rd edition came out. 

I started a new Craftworld in 4th. I call it Kesh-Myr. Kesh-Myr tends to focus on aspect warriors and wraith constructs.

I like Biel-Tan's color scheme. (I have the 'luck' that several of my favorite schemes involve a lot of white.)

It probably helps that they're the aspect addicts and I'm just not interested in guardians (which makes my affection for the color scheme rather irrelevant now that I think about it).

My only Eldar models are a squad of axewraiths though, three of which are painted. I'm looking forward to plastic banshees... if they ever come out and aren't 'improved' like daemonettes were.

Tor Yeridan, the Lighthouse.

I miss high elves.

I never played them, but I do miss WFB. Total War is where i get my fix now.

But yes, the inspiration for the name came from elvish names of fantasy- seemed fitting for space elves I thought.

And fielding guardians is horrible- who sends a 3000 year old gardener or chef to die?

Of the canon Craftworlds, Saim-Hann and Biel-tan have always been a favorite. I have my own DIY lesser Craftworld, the Ayil-idan, but I haven't worked on them since my idea of adding a Grey Specters path with phoenix lord kinda came undone when Forge World made their own very similar Shadow Spectres. Similar name, similar function, so *shrug*

I was looking to paint a fast army using an airbrush and looking through the start collecting, i found the Eldar with afew miniature which seemed on my scale of possibility to paint in a resonable amount of time. I settled on Mymeara after falling in love with the scheme on the great forge world art.

It was also different for me to paint something so bright, when i tend to be more earthy in tone.

Now i'm hooked and planning for much more than the original 2k points ^-^

That scheme is just so epic with the white contrast. love it!

Anamnesis

Conn - what's to stop you using the Shadow Spectres with a new name?

It's a thought, along with simply replacing my idea with an extension of FW's or coming up with an entirely different path.

Really though, a big reason for why they got shelved is because they weren't B&C appropriate back then. Now that we are a fully 30k/40k board, I'm wanting to tackle my Xenos DIYs before returning to my Imperial/Chaos DIYs.

• 1 month later...

I started playing Eldar for the Wraiths. I love the lore behind them, the concept, and the way their 'Slow and Purposeful' playstyle fits within the larger Eldar play mechanics. While I have a decent number of foot soldiers and bikes and psykers, Wraiths certainly dominate my Eldar collection. So you'd think I'd be a shoo-in for Iyanden.

I've found the Craftworld for me is Iybraesil. I don't have as many Howling Banshees yet to fit the bill 100% (I'm kinda waiting for the plastic models we all think are coming), but their constant search for knowledge and lost wisdom really resonates with me - and there is an in for the fluff, as they constantly use Wraith units to try and scour the Crone Worlds due to them being able to deal better with the crap in the Eye of Terror. Their Howling Banshee core focus gives me a good fluffy reason to have footsloggers to back the Wraiths up in a balanced list. Makse me happy.

Babble babble babble.

I started playing Eldar for the Wraiths. I love the lore behind them, the concept, and the way their 'Slow and Purposeful' playstyle fits within the larger Eldar play mechanics. While I have a decent number of foot soldiers and bikes and psykers, Wraiths certainly dominate my Eldar collection. So you'd think I'd be a shoo-in for Iyanden.

I've found the Craftworld for me is Iybraesil. I don't have as many Howling Banshees yet to fit the bill 100% (I'm kinda waiting for the plastic models we all think are coming), but their constant search for knowledge and lost wisdom really resonates with me - and there is an in for the fluff, as they constantly use Wraith units to try and scour the Crone Worlds due to them being able to deal better with the crap in the Eye of Terror. Their Howling Banshee core focus gives me a good fluffy reason to have footsloggers to back the Wraiths up in a balanced list. Makse me happy.

Babble babble babble.

Looking forward to seeing WIP pictures from you brother.

I haven't started a proper Eldar army yet....well, actually, now that I think about it, my wife has an abandoned Eldar army somewhere that I should save. Anyway, the Craftworld I will/have picked is Il-Kaithe for two reasons. One, I like how they are focused on Chaos as public enemy number one, and since so little has been done with them, there's plenty of room to develop your own fluff. Two, I'm specifically incorporating that Craftworld into Brotherhood of the Lost. So, an Il-Kaithe army could easily double for canon and BotL use at a moment's notice.

Plus, at least one of my armies should be green.