What Tactic Will Shine?

tychobi

Soooooo the books have dropped the rules are here and we are all frantically reading, writing, painting, and dreaming up tactics that will destroy the enemies of our glorious emperor! For Sanguinius!

What tactic are you hoping will lead you to victory with our new rules?

Horde?  SM points probably make that hard.. . . tho 100 scouts could be hilarious. 

Sweeping infantry assault charge?  Low #s make this a dangerous one but possibly not  as dangerous as before.  Lack of defensive stats/options for Death Co make me a little shy on this one.

Armor spam?  Razors seem cheap. . probably a viable one here. 

Aura buff elite death star ish action?  we got the buffs, just kinda pricey putting all the eggs down together and at once.  . . could get mulched by msu tactics where it becomes impossible to get your points back. . .  Fluffy and supported by GW staff review. . . still not really my bag.

MSU combined arms?  I think this has always been a good go to for any SM army. Probably gonna have its success wrapped up in generalship and positioning. Good option for me. 

Alpha strike?  No rolling for reserves/scatter brings this up big time for me.  Sadly my go to alpha strikers (furioso dreds in pods) have been dragged out back and shot in the head. . . But still I like this one. Vets, terminators, podded devastators/sternguard, etc.  I won lots of games by not showing my hand until I drop out of the heavens to blow some special snowflake to plasma scorched bits.  

Gunline?  we may have trouble actualizing a really fearsome gun line but we could toy with the idea.  . . . cant imagine what happens when we face a real IG gun line or some such. . .

Feedback?  Ideas?  We are going to face all of these tactics and more so lets get the discussion flowing!  :smile.:

• 1 month later...

I was thinking that this topic was overlooked due to traffic and other considerations so I am going to bump it to see if it works a second time around.  

To the point I am having good success with a MSU combined arms approach centered around a storm raven.  A healthy mix of ranged firepower and close combat foot sloggers transported by the raven and razor backs have provided me with a very positive record.  

My only loss so far was an attempt at twin heavy flamer speeder spam. . . not terrible but kinda fragile.  

In terms of opponents?

Hoard orks: i had no issues staying out of the way and shooting them down.  Fed em small scout units to keep em busy and kept the firepower flowing.  charge the leftovers.  Easy win.

Speedy msu orks: loss.  rockets hurt! Storm raven down bottom of 1 to a triple Stormboy unit charge.  good times

Vehicle mounted orks: win but barely.  those trucks are tough.  Mephiston dies to a warboss then Tycho steps in and heroically chokes him out with a rear naked (he keeps forgetting to bring a combat knife:censored: ) to be the only model left standing.  sweet game.

IG:  basilisks cannot hide from storm ravens.  picked apart and slaughtered.  5 choppy scouts went to town and murder like 30 guardsmen.  good times. keep the static guns shooting at various targets and they cannot focus enough to kill anything.  Also 4+ sanguine shield on storm raven is awesome vs lascannon

Drukari:  Big sailboat thing is scary. Otherwise t3 models die easy.  I stole initiative that game and was able to kill the dark lance gunboat (ravager? dunno)  so may be scewed

Space Marine: Tough but everything dies to lascannon.  

Tyranid:  Left swarmy out in open.  New player.  not really a challenge due to inexperience.  (I told him i was gunning for swarmy he did not listen)

Anyway hope this helps somebody! :biggrin.:

I was thinking that this topic was overlooked due to traffic and other considerations so I am going to bump it to see if it works a second time around.  

Hey hey, I think the topic wasn't too commented on due to there already being another Blood Angel 8th ed tactics thread - the one I linked to.

Vehicle mounted orks: win but barely.  those trucks are tough.  Mephiston dies to a warboss then Tycho steps in and heroically chokes him out with a rear naked (he keeps forgetting to bring a combat knife:censored: ) to be the only model left standing.  sweet game.

Curious to know what on earth a rear naked is...or maybe I shouldn't be...:sweat:

Nice to see things are going well!

Yeah, interesting feed-back, what list did you play ? Was it the same for the 6 games ?

No I mixed things up a fair bit.  Right now for the Fate of Konor campaign I am running : 1000pts Tycho, Mephiston, 3x 5 man scout squads 2 choppy 1 snipers , 1x 5 tac w. lascannon, razor with hk+sb+twin asscannon, Storm raven missiles, lascannon, hurricane.  A few toys in the scouts and voila!  I can 3 drop if i want to go first by filling up the raven and razorback or spread out and take up map with scouts all over.  I have had fun with disembarking Tycho and advancing, flying the raven over his head and giving it reroll 1's.  Options!

Hey hey, I think the topic wasn't too commented on due to there already being another Blood Angel 8th ed tactics thread - the one I linked to.

Curious to know what on earth a rear naked is...or maybe I shouldn't be...:sweat:

Rear Naked refers to a "rear naked choke" a ju jitsu move where you wrap an arm around someones throat from behind and crush their windpipe into the crook of your elbow.  I was really just bemoaning Tycho's lack of hand to hand weapon. (dead mans hand. . . where did u go?)

Rear Naked refers to a "rear naked choke" a ju jitsu move where you wrap an arm around someones throat from behind and crush their windpipe into the crook of your elbow.  I was really just bemoaning Tycho's lack of hand to hand weapon. (dead mans hand. . . where did u go?)

You're really cutting off both carotid arteries, shouldn't be a wind choke, but I feel ya :)

You're really cutting off both carotid arteries, shouldn't be a wind choke, but I feel ya :smile.:

You are most correct sir.  My deepest apologies for the misleading description it is indeed a blood choke (fitting for a BA captain i think)  

Update.  Week 3 of Konor was two losses for me.  I could have won automatically both my games but flying a raven off the map and saying "Yay.  I won".  Not really my style so I stuck around and fought and the dice betrayed me.  Fun games tho.  The Imperial Fists cammo cloak aura was sooooooo annoying.  10 devastators saved upwards of 60 wounds. . . yuk.  And Russ spam with Pask going first and rolling well is brutal.  Lesson?  Play the scenario!