Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Talons of the Emprah, Rules? (8th.)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Miru

Miru

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 61 posts

Brothers, 

yesterday I had a nice little Matched Game (only the first 2 Rounds so far, though) between the Talons of the Emprah and the Space Wolves. 1.000 Points eaach, SW = 57 Powwer, Talons = 53 Power. 

So far the Talons are kicking my teeth in. Badly. 

SInce the Talons seem to be a worthwile army (and I really like the models, thus hobby aspect of them), I was thinking about expanding on it. 

However, I that the Games Workshop Index "Imperium II" only features the core forces. 

The Gallatus Dreadnought, tanks and Saggitarius Guard are nowhere to be seen. 
Same goes with the Sister's Vehicles. 
They only feature the Stuff from the "Talons of the Emperor" Box-set.

I wonder, whether it planned to fully legalise these forces in 40k?
That would make the Talons Force pretty dull and even (legally) unplayable since e.g. HQs are missing. One can not even build a legal, Talons-only, Patrol Detachment this way.

Expanding on the force would become unintereting if this was the case :-(
Given the Key Word system I could put any Imperium HQ in the Army, thus legalise the detachment.
But c'mon... Have you read "Master of Mankind"? CAn you imagine a Custodees force being lead by a lowly Space Marine, or even Commisar (Who is a HQ, right?)? Just not coherend. At all. 

Has anybody heard (or knows) where the rules for those units to be played in the 8th Edt. of Warhammer 40k can be found? 
Is it one of the Imperial Armour books? I checked Astra Militarum and Astartees Book's Indexes, but could not find the Custodes or Sisters. 
I assume, it can't be the Inferno Book, since this book contains 7th edt. rules only. 

Any idea or thought... or even knowledge on the TOpic?

✠ Space Wolves ✠ Death Watch ✠
 Talons of the Emperor 

-= My Album =-

Silentz

Silentz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 212 posts
  • Chapter Name: Red Scorpions

As far as we can see, no - the fancypants Custodes stuff like jetbikes and grav tanks and that is for 30k.  

Games Workshop "Prime" will not publish rules for Forge World models that you can't buy in a Warhammer/GW store.  I would say "ever" but... things do change. 

It may be that Forge World produce a book which gives 40k rules for them, but they're not in the upcoming "Fires of Cyraxus" (Red Scorpions, Mechanicus, Tau) so they are at least 6-9 months away. 

In short, don't hold your breath - the Custodes are diminished in the 10,000 years since the Heresy and don't have access to their full armory.

Dat Land Raider tho.   Whooo.. 

• Miru likes this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,753 posts

I'll be using my custodes transport as a Land Raider in 40k.

It has some twin bolt guns and las weapons so it all works out.

gallery_62972_10568_73818.jpggallery_48988_6285_4379.png

In Their Fists They Carry Death - The Legiones Custodes

++WIP Thread++

++Index Astartes Sanguine Visions++

++Heresy WIP Thread: Talons++

Silentz

Silentz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 212 posts
  • Chapter Name: Red Scorpions

Sounds good. Might not fly in a tournament type setting due to different size and shape - would need to check it with the TO in advance - but I can't imagine anyone outside of that not being perfectly happy.

Miru

Miru

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 61 posts

Oh well.. Thats a real shame. These are nice models. And they are tough as nails from what i experiencd so far. 
I had a 1.000 points game (8th) between Talons and Space Wolfes. Just 2 Rounds in the Custodees are whiping the floor with my wolfes since I lack the heavy waepons to deal with them in this set up. 

Even though the Talons are grossly outnumbered, thaey are dishing out some serious pain. I don't think my wolves will survive till the end of the 5th turn ;-D

Would have loved to get some Saggitarius Guard or at least a Gallatus Contemptor for my (40k) Army. 

Talons of the Emperor 

-= My Album =-

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,855 posts

Just 2 Rounds in the Custodees are whiping the floor with my wolfes since I lack the heavy waepons to deal with them in this set up. 

did you use a 7th ed army ?

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

Miru

Miru

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 61 posts

Hi Jeske, 

No, i used the rules from the free Battle Primer (8th basic ruleset) on the Community site and used leaks of the Indexes "Imperium I +II" + Battlescribe to build the Armies. 

Today after work I'LL collect my 2 Starter Box Sets as well as some Indexes and will most likely spent the rest of the day reading. 

Talons of the Emperor 

-= My Album =-

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,855 posts

I may have not worded it right. Did you take an army that was close to what you played in 7th, and tried to play it in 8th. Because in general SW swarm real good, and for a low count army it is realy hard to win a game vs them .

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

TheFinisher4Ever

TheFinisher4Ever

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 145 posts
  • Chapter Name: Grey Knights

As of right now there are no plans, as far as anyone knows, for the 30k Custodes units to get 40k rules. GW has actually given a (stupid imo) fluff reason for it so I don't see them bringing them in anytime soon. If 30k ports over to 8th, we will get rules for them but I wouldn't hold your breath for anything else. I'm hoping we can make a homebrew dex to use for beer and pretzel nights in the interim.

Ad Mech - 5,000 points

Blood Angels - 12,000 points

Dark Angels - 6,500 points

Deathwatch - 3,000 points

Eldar - 18,500 points

Imperial Fists - 5,000 points

Imperial Guard - 1,000 points

Grey Knights - 6,500 points

Sisters of Battle - 3,000 points

RainbowWarrior

RainbowWarrior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21 posts
  • Chapter Name: Rainbow Warriors

Brothers, 

yesterday I had a nice little Matched Game (only the first 2 Rounds so far, though) between the Talons of the Emprah and the Space Wolves. 1.000 Points eaach, SW = 57 Powwer, Talons = 53 Power. 

So far the Talons are kicking my teeth in. Badly. 

SInce the Talons seem to be a worthwile army (and I really like the models, thus hobby aspect of them), I was thinking about expanding on it. 

However, I that the Games Workshop Index "Imperium II" only features the core forces. 

The Gallatus Dreadnought, tanks and Saggitarius Guard are nowhere to be seen. 
Same goes with the Sister's Vehicles. 
They only feature the Stuff from the "Talons of the Emperor" Box-set.

I wonder, whether it planned to fully legalise these forces in 40k?
That would make the Talons Force pretty dull and even (legally) unplayable since e.g. HQs are missing. One can not even build a legal, Talons-only, Patrol Detachment this way.

Expanding on the force would become unintereting if this was the case :-(
Given the Key Word system I could put any Imperium HQ in the Army, thus legalise the detachment.
But c'mon... Have you read "Master of Mankind"? CAn you imagine a Custodees force being lead by a lowly Space Marine, or even Commisar (Who is a HQ, right?)? Just not coherend. At all. 

It is possible to take a Battleforged, Custodes only force, but it's less than ideal. You could take each unit as an Auxiliary Detachment. It's not exactly a brilliant solution, since you would have zero Command Points to use in the game, but it does allow for a pure Custodes force.

The other alternative is to convert a HQ model and use counts-as for the rules, but i'm struggling myself to find a suitable equivalent that wouldn't cause undue confusion for my opponent.

It would have been nice to have had a HQ choice thrown in there, even if it were merely a case of Shield-Captains being separate HQ choices and the squad size of the Custodes dropping to 4, ala the Sanguinary Guard (albeit their sergeants became Elite choices).

Edited by RainbowWarrior, 19 June 2017 - 09:27 PM.

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 96 posts

I just have Guilliman or Celestine lead my force, lots of room for other stuff like a Primaris Captain (Another good option for a 'counts as Custodes general, similar if a touch weaker statlines!  But in Gravis Armor, not terrible!).  Easy Brigade.  Not like there's anything to key off of the "Custodes" keyword yet either.  so just do it off the Imperium one for now and gold.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users