Tempestus Scions (help request)

Daimhin

Hey! I'm thinking of adding some Scions to my Imperium allies (thinking of including them in a detachment led by an inquisitor)

Can someone tell me how many plasma guns come with the 5-man box of Scions? Is the "Start Collecting" box worthwhile?

Any reason I wouldn't take command squads over normal squads (4 plasma vs 2) other than the Elite vs Troop slots?

Thanks for the help!

I think you get 1 plasma gun per 5 man boxed set (I believe you get 1 of each special weapon) - the start collecting set looks very worthwhile to in my opinion you get a decent saving with that one.

I don't know if this is helpful for you, but I had a similar issue when putting together a five man Scion team with two meltaguns last year. The box only comes with one melta, but I was able to buy a plastic melta gun on amazon for pretty cheap, chop the gun off one of my scion models, and glue the melta in instead.

The added benefit is that the melta looks pretty unique, I used a scion hand that typically holds a pistol, so now this guy is weilding a melta with one hand while using his other to point at the target he's about to blow up. The official term for that is, I believe: "awesome."

I'd be curious to see if something similar works with plasma bits, scions with special weapons look like a really strong choice in 8th.

Edited by imperialguard

For the Plasma guns it's really worth using any spares you have and doing some chopping, similar to imperialguards melta's mentioned above. The melta guns are poseable so your guys can look different, but the Plasma gun only comes in a rest pose with the gun butt resting on your Scions hip. That looks fine for one model but when all 4 plasma gunners have the same pose? That dog won't hunt monsieur.

Annoyingly it's impossible to cut the Plasma Gun lose from the attached arm that is running the length of the gun, so sourcing a Plasma gun from outside the box is well worth it.

Start Collecting box is a good saving. The Taurox Primes are a great option (and inquisitors and acolytes can ride in them as well) now. The Commissar is probably of limited use to you unless you're thinking of taking regular Guard but even if you don't use him, the start collecting box is still worth it.

Forge World do packs of special weapons e.g. ten plasma guns for £12, but it looks like there'd be some fiddly modelling for the left hand (they come with the right hand attached and no left hand but the scions' left hands are moulded to their hot-shots).