Our favorite Captain Korvydae?

Mr. Poe

I sent the query as to Korvydea's rules to FW customer services , as well as questioning whether the legion Basilisk and Medusa would be getting 40k rules, at the end of last week and am waiting for a response.....will let you know when I hear back.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting a feeling that they are cutting him off. I don't think any other characters were left out except him...

It's rather unfortunate but I guess the reason you took him in the past was to spam assault marines. You don't need him any more for that so maybe they figured he was obsolete? 

If they do bring him back, what kind of rules would you guys like to see on him?

Frankly, I really dug the Assault Squad spam.  So, for this edition I suppose that would be changing the battlefield role of AM from FA to Troops.  Probably a bit OP in this edition?

I don't think it would be super OP for AM to counts as troops. But I bet that's a rabbit hole GW probably doesn't want to go down. The "counts as" rules in 7th could potentially cause a balance issue when you start to think about Terminators and Kzerkers starting to count as troop choices? It would be a blatant circumvention of the detachment system that they have going on now (which I really like) which encourages different unit types in lists.   

He could have a rule that gives some form of Hammer of Wrath like ability to assault marines within 6" of him when they declare a charge?

Edited by Mr. Poe

Yes, YES!  That's much better, indeed!

Although, he is the 10th Company Shadow Captain (before going to the Deathwatch), so maybe a buff to Scout Squads like ... they get a Hammer of Wrath-like rule :P

OR, it would be almost heresy to have Korvydae ride a ... BIKE ... then give Scout Bikes some love.  Like being able to charge after Advancing.  It would be a crazy reach but would only be for him and a Scout Bike Squad within 6" or something.

It could have been a measure against half the RG players using the BA codex back in the 5th. For more reliably landing troops assault marines.

And FW wanted to give RG another way to get troops AM and stay within the vanilla SM codex.

As for the scout bikes, on FW’s place I’d just invent a new captain (6th Co?) for this purpose instead of bending Korvydae that much.

Knowing a meaningless sequence of letters doesn’t include knowing the captain.

We know neither their appearance, nor equipment, fluff or character. There is far more missing than just model + rules and would need to be invented.

@ C&E - are you suggesting FW intentionally did not include Korvydae in the update?  I mean, killing him off is not a bad idea either as the model was instantly at odds with certain expectations about the Raven Guard at the time.  For me it's primarily about his weapon.  After that, his old rules didn't benefit his company at all.  I get how he may have been competition against something else, that seems petty.  His "failure" at Kastorel-Novem was not a fun read to be frank and him getting shuttled to the Deathwatch was a :facepalm: moment.

So it's utterly weird that FW would not include him for 8th edition as he would be a really good dude for the Chapter, I think.

Honestly, Kua, before the Kastorel-Novem campaign book came out, what did we know about Korvydae?

Prior to that release he was, as you say, just a sequence of letters.

The fact that his special rules are now utterly useless with the changes they've made to list building kind of hints that he WAS left out intentionally.

Combine that with the fact that he is a 40k character from a First Founding chapter when FW tends to focus more on the more obscure 2nd and later Founding chapters, and it lends credence to FW killing him off.

My money is on dead Korvydae.