Techmarines - More comparisons!

So we know we play a little extra on our guys due to them being Psykers.

But Techmarines are taking that to another level...

A normal Techmarine is 58 points (before upgrades).

A Grey Knight Techmarine is 91 points!  A massive 33 point difference, or our Techmarines costing 57% more than their normal counterparts.

Smite and Psykout Grenades are not worth the disparity...

But it gets worse.

GK Techmarines seem to have lost the ability they used to have and cannot take Conversion Beamers any more.  GK Techmarines are forced to take a Servo Harness, for in total an extra 28 points, not only making them 119 points *base*, but also locking out the Conversion Beamer.

(As a total aside, an Imperial list can take Fallen.  You can outfit them with a Stormbolter Combi-Bolter, Bolt Pistol and Power Sword.  For only 1 point less than a Strike.  Not great you might think, as Strikes Force Sword are d3 damage, and we get Smite.  But Fallen get a second attack, +1 Ld, reroll 1's to shooting if haven't moved - including Overwatch - and only ever lose a single model to battleshock a round.  Quite tasty!)

Many times I wonder if this is done intentionally to sell more of specific models because that's more than a clear point value discrepancy. However I can honestly say the liklihood of me actually fielding a Techmarine in a GK list is about as likely as encountering a real space marine in my neighborhood. =P

Actually it's more. You have to pay for the plasma cutter, flamer, and 2 servo arms. It should total out at 131 or 133 minimum. So 73 points more expensive to cast smite and can't ds....

Nah I'm good. Pass

The harness is 28 points.

I didn't add in the cost of the power axe or other servo arm as both have those.

Its a rediculous cost increase.

But this has been playtest for a year by the highest level of tournament players.

There can't be something this, badly balanced after a year of playtesting.

Edited by Gentlemanloser

The harness is 28 points.

I didn't add in the cost of the power axe or other servo arm as both have those.

Its a rediculous cost increase.

But this has been playtest for a year by the highest level of tournament players.

Yeah, I didn't see the harness so added it all up individually.

And you would think that it would be balanced, but hey our faction focus said "they hit hard. Don't let them hit you. It hurts"

I'm looking at my battlescribe on my phone, and unless it is wrong here (don't have my book atm), a normal techmarine is 75pts. Also according to battlescribe, GK techmarines are 108pts. I guess it's still a 33pt difference anyway. 

The GK techmarine gets smite, and perhaps 1 psyker power on the GK tree? (again I don't have my book D:). That's not awful, but it's not very good either. The only reasoning I can glean from it is that the GK techmarine can be a super "cheap" HQ option.

IDK. If it has the ability to take a power on the GK tree I can see the 33pt cost. Keep in mind that the codexes will be fleshed out as well. 

Edited by TheMostGood

TMG, I bet it's adding in the base cost of wargear. Like the Servo Arm and Power Axe.

Edit: Like our Dreads, Techmarines only know the Smite power.  They can't know any Sanctic powers, unlike our version of the SM librarian.

Edited by Gentlemanloser

Being Imperial you could take him as a cheaper HQ.

If that's all you wanted.

But then you could always get an Inquisitor.  /meh seems useless really.

Unless you really really need to pay over the odds to repair GK specific vehicles.  Or you play with PL, where this doesn't exist.

Is this the drum you're going to beat in every thread? It's already getting old, and we've got a lot of time left in this edition. Just drop it and move on to something constructive.

To be fair, I think repairing Dreadnoughts and Dreadknights is pretty good. They can't be healed easily any other way. 

Wouldn't be taking many of them (maybe 1 at best), but at least he's reasonably durable and not 1W anymore. I'd ignore his combat output its meaningless. He's a healer to your vehicles, and an extra 'Smite'.