WIP - Nightwind Cadre (with added Manta)

Valaas

Firstly, Hi to all in the Xenos forums (still funny saying that on B&C).

My Tau Nightwind Cadre started waaaaaay back when the 1st Edition of the Tau Codex was released, unfortunately life (i.e. Work, Pub and an unhealthy addiction to World of Warcraft) and spending too long on each model meant that aside from a few, my models never got painted!

However, of late my hobby passion as exploded again and with kicking off a project that has been on my to do list for 10 years, I'm back and making some head way.

I originally had this project log running on another site, but lack of activity and the excellent community I've experienced with my Raven Guard, over on the Raven Guard sub-forum, convinced me to shift it over here!

This project is a long term thing as my Nightwind Cadre will just keep getting bigger, once I've cleared the backlog of T'au on my work station.

With the Raven Guard Forum's running the 'Hidden Hands of the Emperor' Challenge at the moment my focus is on my Raven Guard for the next few months, but one T'au project will be ticking along in the background. Once that's over I'll be able to share my time out between the two and make some progress clearing the T'au backlog.

Thought I'd start with some of my completed mini's and then I'll move on to WIP.

Riptide:

riptide 4

riptide 5

riptide 6

riptide 7

riptide 2

Pathfinders:

Pathfinders2

Pathfinders1

Piranhas:

piranhas1

piranhas2

piranhas2

Sniper Team:

PB130451

PB130452

PB120481

Kroot:

PB200458

PB200459

PB200461

PB200460

PB200462

In the recent house move his fore-claws have come off and chipped so badly it will be a strip and start again job. I'll get round to them when I paint up his 2 pack mates, until then he can be know as stumpy. 

A always comments, suggestions and questions always welcome.

Cheers,

Valaas

And now for the massive project.....always going on in the background :ermm:

First some background...... back in 2006 my brother and I had spent a long 6 months looking after our Mum at home while she battled with cancer, which she unfortunately lost at the beginning of June 2006. In the aftermath of this as a thank you for the support we'd given each other, my brother and I gave each other a gift. His gift to me was the biggest model Forge World had ever produce (only recently surpassed by the Warlord Titan), which has since then been gathering dust, due to lack of time and, I'm happy to admit, some fear, give the complexity of the build and sheer volume of painting required.

Well last year was the tenth anniversary of Mum passing and I decided then to finally tackle the Manta its been ongoing ever since when I have time but, is a bit more of an engineering project rather than a model kit!

The task at hand (not including the plastic tanks and crisis suits!):

Manta 1 zpsxjkel0cb

Work in progress shots...so far:

DSC 0162 zpsmss3wgal

DSC 0161 zps9sqtlmvs

DSC 0163 zpsguft35cd

Manta 2 zpsmpah7my2

Even with some paint!:

Manta 3 zpspqr6gqyc

As always comments, suggestions and questions always welcome.

Cheers,

Valaas

...I came expecting a manta. I've only ever seen one in a display case.

Your wish is my command.....you were just to quick for me....:wink:

Youre building a Manta!? You brave, crazy-brave, man you. That thing is going to be one capstone of a "mini" for your army thats for sure.

First things first Valaas....

gallery_26778_12913_66025.jpg

but in all seriousness :jawdrop: That is an absolutely stunning Tau army love the scheme.....and the manta just :censored: wow

Manta yeah!

That is one of the models on my what if wish list ;)

I will be following your work with interest :)

Glorious.

You got to wonder what Slaanesh spun fever dream inspired them to make moulds for a model they wouldn't sell very much of and probably don't make much profit off of.

According to FWs site, they don't even make Mantas until someone orders one.

Fellow Shadow-Captain and Tau Commander checking in. I'll be keepin an eye on this :wink:

When we get burnt out on painting black power armor, we can always take a break to paint some fishmen!

Thanks Vyper,

Only problem for me is that my T'au scheme also had a fair bit of black!....though the red does make a nice change

• 2 months later...

It's been a while (caught up with my Raven Guard 4th Company) but finally have a little bit of an update....that should be the beginning! of fairly regular updates.

So the Manta....."Ah no I've got to paint this crew before continuing the build..." speed bump had finally been beaten! 

IMG 20170913 230425

IMG 20170913 230509

IMG 20170913 232928

After 10 years and given real life pressures I've enlisted the help of a mate Rick Rose (www.pictishminaturepainting.co.uk) to help me with the build going forwards, so expect us to build up some momentum over the next few weeks and hopefully have the build complete in a month or so ready for some paint to start flying.

Also trying to work out the best way to grind through all the interior crew......I'm looking at you 48 seated Fire Warriors.....thinking of instigating a Fire Warrior Tax so for every miniature I paint I have to paint 4 seated Fire Warriors.....Lets see how that works out!

As always comments, questions and suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Valaas

OMG! Valaas ...if you finish this Manta your officially my hero :wub:

hey i love the riptide,is your loadout for it still valid/okay to use in 8th Ed?, i only ask as i have a riptide my friends bought me for my birthday years ago and i'd like to paint it up for 8th ed...i know i know :rolleyes: ...riptides are not the star cheese they were in 7th but i still want to paint it up and use it... and what system add on's should be used?....or not used :tongue.: 

Great army by the way,really nice !!

cheers, Mithril 

OMG! Valaas ...if you finish this Manta your officially my hero :wub:

hey i love the riptide,is your loadout for it still valid/okay to use in 8th Ed?, i only ask as i have a riptide my friends bought me for my birthday years ago and i'd like to paint it up for 8th ed...i know i know :rolleyes: ...riptides are not the star cheese they were in 7th but i still want to paint it up and use it... and what system add on's should be used?....or not used :tongue.:

Great army by the way,really nice !!

cheers, Mithril 

Hi Mithril,

Where you been, not seen you posting in RG for ages!

It's going to take some time but.......I guarantee the Manta is going to get finished!

Thanks for the compliments on the Riptide, and as a fluffy player I'll still be using him and his legal load out....I always found the Stimms a good addon to try and mitigate wounds from Nova charging.

Can't give you much gaming insight as my Tau have yet to play in 8th, with my RG getting all of the action, they'll definitely get more action once our codex proper comes out....but in the meantime I have a big backlog of Tau to paint.

Cheers,

Valaas

That is Stupidly HUGE!! :laugh.: ...:drool:  

did you have any problems with Warpage?... my one pet hate with resin :dry.:

Glad to see your working on it!

i will be back to the Ravenspire one day...just down in the guard trenches and kicking around some martian dust at the moment :biggrin.: 

cheers, Mithril 

That is Stupidly HUGE!! :laugh.: ...:drool:  

did you have any problems with Warpage?... my one pet hate with resin :dry.:

Glad to see your working on it!

i will be back to the Ravenspire one day...just down in the guard trenches and kicking around some martian dust at the moment :biggrin.:

cheers, Mithril 

Yeah lots of warpage.....you'll see on Ricks log photos of lots of pieces that have been heated up and are sitting with heavy stuff on top of them.

We'll see you in the Ravenspire soon...

• 4 weeks later...

Nice kroot scheme. I love the face paint effect.

I understand the need to repair him, but now that you've named Stumpy, you should carry an element of that characterization over to the next iteration, maybe replace a hand with a morning star prosthetic, or something.

I'm definitely looking forward to the manta in your color scheme.

Nice kroot scheme. I love the face paint effect.

I understand the need to repair him, but now that you've named Stumpy, you should carry an element of that characterization over to the next iteration, maybe replace a hand with a morning star prosthetic, or something.

I'm definitely looking forward to the manta in your color scheme.

Thanks Sinister Samurai.

I really like my Kroot 'Warpaint', allows the kroot to be linked to the rest of the Tau cadre, without loosing their feral aspect!

Rick has been busy with the build and hit the major milestone of build complete:

received 10213905111000288

received 10213905111720306

He's now moved onto the priming....so now not only the crew corridor is painted!

Manta base coat

I've not been idle while Rick has been working hard....I've had the 'fun' job of cleaning up the 48 seated fire warriors ready for me to prime and start painting. I have also started on another big Tau project, which I'll post a sneak peak of shortly.

Cheers,
Valaas

Great job by rick and you, i made a negative comment about forgeworld and it's supposed premium quality in his blog, apologies if it was taken wrong :blush.: , but i'm glad to see all the flaws have been fixed and its looking sweet!!

bring on the paint (the fun part :biggrin.: )

cheers Mithril

• 1 month later...

In an effort to get through the 48 seated fire warriors, I'm trying to instigate a Fire Warrior Tax......so for every model I paint, regardless of what it is, I need to then paint a seated fire warrior :rolleyes: .

Starting slow, finished my Shadows of Hammerhal Cogsmith last night, so only 1 seated Fire Warrior to paint in taxes....and so it begins! :wink:

IMG 20171123 003341

The first of the 48...

Cheers,

Valaas

• 1 month later...

With some time off over Christmas, managed to get some more building done.....

WIP on some heavy fire support:

IMG 20180103 WA0008

received 10157103401969552

received 10157103195434552

received 10157103195224552

Work on the Manta continues in the background.

Cheers,

Valaas

Archived