Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So I am a little pissed with GW they lied again .

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Ikken

Ikken

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 165 posts

ok so I think 8th will be a great game , fun to play and a big improvement over 7th .

What I am disgruntled about is that for over a month now GW has been babbling on about how it is a new era , and they want to drop the barriers to entry to play the game , and how they were going to make the rules free to download and all that . basically you were going to be able to go into your local FLGS buy a box of models take them home and play .

Well that is a pile of censored.gif, you can't do that at all . if you want to play this game you need to buy the rule book for $70 cdn , and you need to buy a faction book for $30 ( even if you want to play unbound . )

Th downloadable core rules are not a complete rules set , and are missing key rules . All they cover are the basics of the different turn phases of the game . even if you say well that will get you started , there are no rules available to down load for the units . You need to buy the faction book to get the unit and faction rules . I expected that you would have to buy the faction book if you wanted to play matched play , but that if you wanted to play unbond or even just look at the rules for a new unit or maybe a new faction that all that info would be downloadable like it is for AOS .

I was anticipating an AOS style release where you could down load everything necessary to play a game and try a faction out . I personally hate AOS , but i will give it its full measure in that from a barrier to entry and quick to pick up and play it has a lot to be admired about it .

The one thing i was getting tired of in 7th was constantly dumping money into books . with 5 40k armies keeping them all current was expensive . I spent more $$ on books the last year or so that i did on models . Apparently that will continue . in 8th . it also will kill my efforts to get my D&D group into 40k , they were all interested but the cost of entry was the issue . I was hoping with 8th they could download the rules and give it a look , that's not going to happen now . Although another guy i the group is doing just that with warmahordes  , if he is successful maybe they will all play warmahordes .

Edited by WarriorFish, 19 June 2017 - 02:10 PM.
Swear filter dodge corrected

Caldersson

Caldersson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 801 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood of Fenris
Not sure how this pertains to SW's...
  • Frater Cornelius likes this
Challenges Completed:sml_gallery_69091_12729_6611.jpggallery_4664_11830_1029.jpeg<p> Looking to buy Wulfen or SW Termie shields, send me a PM.

Hellrender

Hellrender

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,490 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves

What Caldersson said, this is not Space Wolves related.

That said.. Still going to hook into it. GW didn't say that all the rules would be free, they said the Core Rules will be free, which are. They also never said that the unit rules would be free, they would be in a book, similar to the Grand Alliance books of AoS, which they are.

All you need to get playing is a box of miniatures and the Faction Index they belong to. Then you can make power level based matches, and play a simple scenario as in the core rules. Because the core rules cover pretty much everything, except for fancy scenario's and detachment rules. 

The Indeci also aren't priced even remotely close to what codeci costed back in 7th. For half the price of a 7th edition codex, you now get all the rules for several armies, so it hardly breaks the bank (and the book is actually a lot better quality then the grand alliance books from AoS).

So overall, the barrier of entry of 8th compared to 7th has greatly reduced. You no longer need a full rulebook, the rules are far easier to pick up and get playing, and the 'army book' you do need is half the price as previous codeci you also needed. That together, is what.. a 70 USD price difference atleast?

Edited by Hellrender, 19 June 2017 - 02:16 PM.

• Grey Mage, Valerian and Father Mehman like this

Gen.Steiner

Gen.Steiner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 975 posts
  • Chapter Name: Righteous Fists

PS Rules are available as a free .pdf. Go to GW's website and search for the Battle Primer. £0! Free! All the core rules!

joschlumpf

joschlumpf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 243 posts
  • Chapter Name: Genocide Angels

Actually the unit rules are for free to. GW stated that all boxes now come with the datasheets (but this might take some time until they hit the shops)

Garreck

Garreck

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 209 posts
No lie here. The core rules are free. And for anyone who's gone through previous edition changeover, the cost for this edition's big rule book plus appropriate index is far cheaper than replacing equivalent literature in the past. Folks who collect codex plus non codex chapters made out like bandits in that regard. If they make good on making data slates available for free is well the game will be even more accessible still.

DanPesci

DanPesci

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,774 posts

No lie here. The core rules are free. And for anyone who's gone through previous edition changeover, the cost for this edition's big rule book plus appropriate index is far cheaper than replacing equivalent literature in the past. Folks who collect codex plus non codex chapters made out like bandits in that regard. If they make good on making data slates available for free is well the game will be even more accessible still.

Yep, i play admech and space wolves....

Considering last edition, i spent £90 on SW codex/supplements alone...and it was £60 for both admech books...

For £30 , i now have rules for both of them, as well as every other chapter, custodes, assassins, AM etc etc. 

Total bargain for a player like me who  wants to mix and match.

also, for the first few games, ill  pretty much just be using the core rules anyway. Another £30 for the rules once i decide to upgrade to full fledged rules really aint bad.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_01.jpg

DVNE - Crushing tales of space horror (In space no-one can hear you doom)

Zoccola

Zoccola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts

There is also always the possibility of buying the rules in Digital format. I know the rulebook is $75 CAD but in Digital format is $46 CAD. The Imperium 1 is $20 CAD compared to $30 CAD.

So you can be kitted out with all the rules for $66 CAD or 44 pounds.

• Lexicanum likes this

LucidNinja

LucidNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts
The biggest issue I have at the moment (it's not that big really) is that we didn't get rules for every model, I'm sure there are more examples but my tartaros can't have one lightning claw at the moment AND my tartaros praetor lost its 40k rules.
But back to your topic this has to be the easiest edition to get into in years if not ever. 2 books and you have all the rules for like 6 armies?

Swarmlord Unleashed

Swarmlord Unleashed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,456 posts
  • Chapter Name: Hive Fleet Chimaera, Renegades

AND my tartaros praetor lost its 40k rules.

There never was a Tartaros HQ model...
  • LucidNinja likes this

Well would you look at the time, it's zombie o'clock!
sml_gallery_55866_13614_5370.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpggallery_60566_6038_377.gif

LucidNinja

LucidNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts
Ah dang memory, I thought the legion praetor tribune had 40k rules haha my bad.

Claws and Effect

Claws and Effect

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,694 posts
  • Chapter Name: Raven Guard and DIY WIP
Not sure who told you that every single rule was going to be free, because it wasn't GW that said that.

What they said was the CORE rules would be free, and the faction rules would be CHEAPER.

Both statements are true.

You're accusing GW of lying when they never, at any point, said what you're claiming they did.

As far as cost for faction rules, lets look at it for say, Space Marines:

Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, and vanilla Marines all had separate codexes at roughly $50 each. Gray Knights and Deathwatch had separate books too.

Altogether, NOT including campaign books with additional rules in them, you're looking at $300 in books to have rules for all the varieties of Space Marines.

New Index: $25

300 - 25 = 275.

The rules for ALL Space Marine chapters are $275 cheaper than they were a few weeks ago.

I don't see how you could call that not lowering the cost barrier to play. The rules for every Space Marine made by GW come in a book that is cheaper than a single codex used to be.

The other 4 indices are equally reduced in price for what you get in them.

Expecting everything for free is just not realistic.

And what will your D&D group day when they discover a single squad costs $40 and you need 10 boxes to play a decent game?

Edited by Claws and Effect, 20 June 2017 - 01:09 AM.

Kastor Krieg

Kastor Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,753 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars

Not sure who told you that every single rule was going to be free, because it wasn't GW that said that.
What they said was the CORE rules would be free, and the faction rules would be CHEAPER.
You're accusing GW of lying when they never, at any point, said what you're claiming they did.

Early on there were hints and outright statements here and there that there will be an AoS format to the release. Then they stopped answering requests to confirm and now we've got what we do. A lot of us really expected the Narrative/Open datasheets to be free - especially since from now on they are coming with the boxes anyway.

Threefold Brush Studio
Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! (pick two ;)). We ship our works worldwide.

psp20ZC.jpg

Claws and Effect

Claws and Effect

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,694 posts
  • Chapter Name: Raven Guard and DIY WIP
But they still wouldn't be free, since you have to buy the box to get them.

LucidNinja

LucidNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts
Are they going to be coming with the boxes? I haven't heard this yet. Very early on gw said the core rules will be free with more advanced options available in books for purchase. Alot of people assumed that free data sheets were coming out but assuming makes an ASS out of U and ME

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,263 posts

So overall, the barrier of entry of 8th compared to 7th has greatly reduced. You no longer need a full rulebook, the rules are far easier to pick up and get playing, and the 'army book' you do need is half the price as previous codeci you also needed. That together, is what.. a 70 USD price difference atleast?

how are you going to play the game, without the rule book if all the scenarios and without an index you do not have the point costs for models. Also with the indeks you have to consider that while yes GW cramed multiple armies in to one [making the demand for imperium 1 super high, and problem for people in countries without GW stores], they are suppose to be a place holder for army books. So in reality your paying for ravening hordes style of pamplet[by the way when last time GW switched from one system to another in 3ed, the army lists were free, so considering that and AoS people could expect something simiular], which may get voided in a month or two. Or worse your going to have to play with it for a year or more, when others get their books updated. So the indeks are needed, but they sure as hell are not worth the money they cost.

I don't see how you could call that not lowering the cost barrier to play. The rules for every Space Marine made by GW come in a book that is cheaper than a single codex used to be.

if you had a friend that plays marines of the vanila kind[and those players make most w40k players] would you advice them to buy the index or wait the 2-3 month it will take for them to get a codex? Those are place holder rules your paying for.

Considering points and game rules are what an engine is to a car, it is a bit as if someone sold you a car without one and said that this is a core car, you can even move it you just have to push. makes the care cheaper too, so more accesible to people.

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

Tyberos the Red Wake

Tyberos the Red Wake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,462 posts
  • Chapter Name: Carcharodon Astra

If they update the Start Collecting boxes to 8E, you can simply buy one of those and they are pretty cheap, then download their free rules PDF on their website, then play. It's not really a lie.

Was it misleading? Maybe, if you thought you would never have to buy a codex or rulebook again. But if you want to access 100% of this game's content, you're going to have to pay for the new 8E books. So I can see why people feel lied to.

"Grey-clad, they came from the outer night to aid the Imperium, and their jagged maw did swallow the stars, and their black gaze did mirror the void of oblivion."

- The Canticle of Cassandria Lev - Vol.CVI [Circa M37]

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 18,597 posts
  • Chapter Name: VIIth Legion
This is a rant thread, not a constructive discussion (follow the "Obey" link in my signature if you don't understand).

gallery_26_548_17394.gif

gallery_26_548_2975.gif
gallery_26_548_5714.png
gallery_26_548_11725.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users